• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

New to Princess -- maybe -- lots of questions

familycruzer

I am booked with Royal Caribbean for summer 2010 on the Explorer of the Seas and am paying $1999 per person for a balcony cabin.:eek:

When the dates and prices come out for summer 2010 with Princess I am considering making a switch to them if a better price comes along.;)

Can someone please answer a few questions for me ...

How is Princess with price reductions?

What ship will most likely be in NYC for summer 2010?

Are the balcony cabins stacked so everyone above your deck can see down into your balcony?

Any tips on a good cabin thats not top of the line?

How is Princess with price reductions?

What ship will most likely be in NYC for summer 2010?

Are the balcony cabins stacked so everyone above your deck can see down into your balcony?

Any tips on a good cabin thats not top of the line?

Up until final payment, Princess will normally reduce the price, after final payment, usually not, as they run specials for new bookings only that do not allow you to take the price reduction if you are already paid in full. One thing with Princess, TA's are still allowed to discount so finding a good TA would be your best bet for a reduced price. Sorry, can't recommend one as it is against the CC board rules. ;)

What ship? Your guess is as good as mine. They are switching things around right now for 2010 so we need to wait and see on that one.

Yes, the larger ships do offer the tiered balcony thing, but there are some with covered/semi covered balconys so that no one can see down on you.

Are there ever any discounts available to Seniors, past guest of parent company....etc?

Yes, discounts for past passengers of other lines in the CCL group are sometimes available, also for past passengers. But you can still find a better rate if using a good discount TA. :) No senior discount I have ever heard of on Princess though.

This year the Carribean Princess is in the NYC port, and also the Crown which goes to Canada. No cruises posted yet for 2010 so not sure what ship they will use.

If you book with Princess and then see a lower price before your final booking is due you can simply call them and they will give you the lower price for the same category if they have rooms available at a lower price. I booked our upcoming cruise in Sept. 08 and by January the price went down and they repriced it for me within 2 minutes! Of course I only put down a deposit, so that stayed the same and my final payment amount due changed and they emailed me a new balance due. You can cancel up to the day of your final payment due date with a full refund.

As far as blaconies go, it depends on the ship and the deck you are on. On some ships (Diamond, Star, Emerald for example) the balconies are not all stacked, so some suites come with open balconies.

Yes, discounts for past passengers of other lines in the CCL group are sometimes available, also for past passengers. But you can still find a better rate if using a good discount TA. :) No senior discount I have ever heard of on Princess though.

Sorry if this is a goofy question Toto, but when you say discount travel agency do you mean a company on line? I have never used one and I'm a little nervous about it.....

The reason I'm asking is I live in a small town that does not have any local agencies I can walk in to.......so I'm kind of at a loss

Most of the balcony cabins are private except on the Caribe deck. Those cabins offer extra large balconies that are half covered and half not covered. Upper decks can look down on those balconies, at least the uncovered portion. The mini suites on the Dolphin deck have uncovered balconies and those above can look down upon them. The minis on the Emerald deck have covered balconies.

Sorry if this is a goofy question Toto, but when you say discount travel agency do you mean a company on line? I have never used one and I'm a little nervous about it.....

The reason I'm asking is I live in a small town that does not have any local agencies I can walk in to.......so I'm kind of at a loss

Very small town here also, so I have to find a TA online that offers discounts. It takes some hits and misses to find a good TA, but it's worth the effort to keep looking. You might try some of the agents/agencies that are listed here on CC as advertisers. Many give discount and shipboard credit on top of it. If you find one that gives you the same price as Princess, keep looking, there are better ones out there with better prices. Best of luck!

Thank you for the information. I have a good TA that offers OBC for every booking and another that offers a good discount.

I actually found the thread about the aft cabins which is where I will end up. I have sailed aft twice and LOVE them!!!

Any idea when the new rates will be coming out?

Thats good not know. I have cruised with Carnival one time.

If you have cruised with princess before you should have a Princess Captains Cirle memeber number. Just create a profile online using this member number and you get a nice discount. I think we get about $200 discount usually for each person booked, sometimes more!

Archived