Crown & Anchor Program Revisions - join the merged discussions here

ommboz

It's a sticky problem, and it may involve some tweaks to the way points are earned, but I think more likely it will require some kind of point sunset scheme. Perhaps points need to "fall off" if you don't keep them active by sailing every couple of years. Cruising isn't like flying, so you can't expect people to sail multiple times every year, but I don't think it's unreasonable to expect that if you don't sail for several years running, your status may be diminished. It will be interesting to watch future changes down the road to see what they come up with.

And then the whining will start all over again. Spare us!!!

I am not a drinker, so it's not a huge deal breaker for me. I do feel soda should be absolutely FREE. (Use fountain soda over cans...it costs pennies) I am not one to want to haul my soda or water with me aboard ship. My luggage/carry-on is usually heavy enough and I have no free hands for 10+ extra pounds.

Mom, on the other hand is not so pleased with the new 'deal'. She is boardering on D+. She feels that MAYBE if all unhappy cruisers complain, they may figure out how to go back to their old ways. Maybe a bigger lounge? (They are claiming it's all about the overcrowding, right?:rolleyes:)

CHILDREN IN THE CONCIERGE

I have a 5 year old so I am in no way saying anything bad about kids BUT... Diamond & Diamond+ members want a 'kid-free' atmosphere. While some do behave, some act like wild indians. Can you imaging members dealing with this? OMG. You think you heard complaints!! :eek: I know your kids are older but some people will lie or try to sneak their younger kids in. Honestly, not worth all the added craziness.

Denise -- 36 -- Yonkers, NY (Diamond Member)

I did not take the letter to mean that there will be a nightly event on the Majesty, Monarch, Vision, Rhapsody and Grandeur for diamond members. There is no CL so no nightly gathering spot for the suite and D+ members. Why would there be a Diamond event in that case? He specifically points out in the letter that there is no CL on those ships. I think he's talking solely about the ships that have a CL, but no dedicated Diamond lounge.

I think the new notice on line is poorly worded but that the intent is that nothing will be going on in the evenings on those five ships.

I can understand why there could be confusion on this issue. But, if you read their posting on the "new enhancements", and the "daily" Diamond party, I think it is clear that what they said was every day on every ship. The new once per cruise party was clearly going to be on every ship, and the new daily party is "replacing" that party. That being said, they also told us that when you cruise ten times you get to use the Concierge Lounge. So who knows what they really mean in this statement?

If they mean what they have written, the up side will be an additional benefit on the small ships that did not exist prior to this time. That could possibly get me aboard the Vision class in the future ... if this is what they mean ... whenever my "mad-on" wears off.

I quote both "party" statements for your consideration.

(Origianal)

"Keeping your feedback and cruise experience in mind, some of the changes that will occur include:

• A new Ultimate Value Booklet with coupons for various onboard amenities.
  • An upgraded wine tasting event at a special price.
  • A new special event, hosted by our ship officers, for Diamond and above members to meet and mingle with other fellow members, and featuring complimentary wine, champagne and hors d'oeuvres."

(As Modified)

"In order to address the first two interests for Diamond members, outside the Concierge Lounge, effective September 1 we will offer them a dedicated VIP private party in one of our bars or lounges. This may be held in the Viking Crown Lounge, or any other bar or lounge designated by the ship. In this dedicated area, from approximately 5 to 8 p.m., we will offer complimentary wine and champagne and happy hour discount of 25 percent off all other beverages. This will be offered every day of each sailing and will replace our recently announced one-time per-cruise special Diamond party."

I understand your post but I'll bet in no way shape or form will this go back to the way it was. The CL was overcrowded so yes-a plan B was going to have to come into play. Whoever posted that a plan b was already in the works was spot on. Take it all away first-see what happens and if it gets ugly-throw plan B out there.

At some point-the current and soon to be D's will have to except the fact that the CL will not be included as a 'perk.

I don't think he thinks you are children-just trying to have a solution to the overcrowding.

I just keep asking myself the same question over and over:

Could I enjoy a RCCL vacation without a CL?

Sure could!

I've stayed in a suite-it was not the be all and end all to my vacation having access to that room. Am I the only one who feels this way? :confused:

Sorry to repeat myself but if overcrowding was THE issue, just move to another location for those time frames. (JUST A NOTE: Was on the EOS 9-night last year on 5/22 and the CL was not crowded AT ALL)

DENISE

Why did you feel the need to post this? Is it supposed to be funny and or cute? I just DO NOT GET the need to make posts referring to "whiners".

I don't get it, either. Maybe those that were disappointed were supposed to "suck it up" and never voice their opinions....

Who cares if some people were complaining? Why does that offend so many people here? Not every has on "rose colored glasses"!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: If you don't like the threads where some folks are complaining, then go to another thread! It's easy to do.

Just a question (to all the whiners)

...(Blah)..(Blah)(Blah)...(Blah)..........

Ok, I have tried to be gracious in victory, but the persistent misuse of the word "whiners" in this thread reveals a great deal of ignorance on the part of those that use it. Voicing a complaint, which ultimately causes a company to reconsider its policies is effective and constructive criticism. One could just as easily label those afraid to challenge RCCL's CL policy change a bunch of "Pansies"; so if name calling is what you and others like to play, then you should consider yourselves as members of that group.

Its not about the money, its about the money.....

I drink vodka, so free beer and wine mean nothing. A buck off a drink, big deal. They are still making money off it.

Did you not expect them to make money off the drinks? That's part of the business plan.

Some opinions on the second letter:

The letter came in response to the intense reaction. This topic drew more messaging and views than any other issue on CC's RCI board. I suspect they were surprised to some degree. It's possible this was all part of a strategy, though, but if so this little gambit probably cost them some loyal customers they'd rather hang on to.

The offer does address many of the issues that sparked the reaction, though imperfectly. It gives Diamond members a place to relax and mingle, and to enjoy some advantages of a concierge.

This was not just about a free drink. It was about a loyalty program whose members assumed loyalty went both ways. It was about many people who had focused for years on getting to a certain level, and feeling they were more a part of the cruise experience as a result. It was about feeling they had earned that little perk of gathering for a drink on the house, and talking with like-minded Royal Caribbean Cruisers. In the CL I met a lot of folks like me, who among other things had hung their hat on RCI pegs many times, and had a lot to share.

The back-pedaling by RCI will certainly go a ways to keep me on their ships. I never for a moment thought of cruising elsewhere out of anger, but only as a practical matter. One consideration was that losing all those Diamond perks simply leveled the playing field and made other lines much more attractive. Another is that past is prologue: If they renege on that relationship now, the bean-counters will probably not hesitate to do it again. This doesn't negate those considerations, but it makes it more likely that RCI will get my vacation dollars than was the case a week ago.

Finally, it is difficult not to feel contempt for those who reacted to this dismay with the snide and sneering accusations that posters were whiners and ingrates. I'm reminded of the saying that "the cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." They are the ones who could mock the loss of free drinks and never understood the value of a relationship.

I suspect we won't be seeing any more additions to the perks from RCI, so people can decide at this point if it's worth it to stay, or look around.

CHILDREN IN THE CONCIERGE

I have a 5 year old so I am in no way saying anything bad about kids BUT... Diamond & Diamond+ members want a 'kid-free' atmosphere. While some do behave, some act like wild indians. Can you imaging members dealing with this? OMG. You think you heard complaints!! :eek: I know your kids are older but some people will lie or try to sneak their younger kids in. Honestly, not worth all the added craziness.

AMEN, sister!

Concerning letter #2 (which I have not yet received), I agree with whomever said that it was most likely a strategy they took... let's cut out the entire CL, let's see how bad the reaction is, and if need be, we'll provide some sort of VIP lounge with reduced price drinks. In addition, the very fact that they can add a VIP lounge somewhere on each ship flies directly in the face of the overcrowding reason for making the change in the first place. While overcrowding is an issue at times on certain ships, it isn't an issue if you provide some sort of overflow lounge. If it were entirely about overcrowding, then the drinks would have been back for free, not at a discount.

Having said all that, I am in general pleased with the response by RCCL. Sure, I think it was a compromise that in reality they could have come with at first. But I have taken negotiation classes and I know how it works. Ask for the most and if you need to settle, it will be somewhere in the middle. If you ask for what you really want, then you're forced to move from that point. Giving something back always makes most (not all, as we see in here) feel good.

So, for me it's all good. The truth is that this was an eye-opener for me. Will we now abandon the all-inclusive we're looking at and go on Explorer in August? Especially now that we'll have CL access (prior to the new 9/1) date? I don't know. We need to talk about it. But no longer will I just be loyal to RCCL over this program and these perks. Now I really do want to try other things and establish my preferences based on my tastes, not on a loyalty program. And if RCCL is the best and remains the best in my opinion, then and only then will I be back to stay.

Your best post yet Buzzard! I was impressed by your earlier (prolly 50 pages ago by now LOL) suggestions on a comprimize and these new changes are close to your suggestions.......What you most likely will get from all of this is a new perpective on cruising by trying a few other lines and all inclusives, etc.....we have done the all inclusive gig and I enjoyed them (though my wife didn't) and the number one thing you need to base your booking on is the number of restaurants and food quality....DO NOT book a budget AI with only 2 to 4 restaurants as you will regret it, disgusting food that all tastes the same.... go for the upper end places and even better if there IS NO buffet at the AI it will be even better food........that said the other crusie lines out there are waiting for you as well, all different but more the same than different.....;)

Sssshhhh. Don't tell the whiners.:)

Is this wishful thinking? or has something been announced? If so, I've missed it. (I've been purposely avoiding these complaining threads, but thought I'd jump in after I received the email to see if that satisfies anyone.)

And then the whining will start all over again. Spare us!!!

these rude comments are worse than any "whining" I have seen.

I don't get it, either. Maybe those that were disappointed were supposed to "suck it up" and never voice their opinions....

Who cares if some people were complaining? Why does that offend so many people here? Not every has on "rose colored glasses"!!!!!!!! :rolleyes: If you don't like the threads where some folks are complaining, then go to another thread! It's easy to do.

Denise, I wish you would stop whining about all the anti- whiners.....LMAO...:p...Have I mentioned how GREAT this thread is??? :) It is helping me get thru the drudgery of Jury Duty! :eek:

Denise, I wish you would stop whining about all the anti- whiners.....LMAO...:p...Have I mentioned how GREAT this thread is??? :) It is helping me get thru the drudgery of Jury Duty! :eek:

Two quick questions, Cruzendude -- How long have you been in Jury Duty, and how many posts have you posted on this thread alone?:)

The letter came in response to the intense reaction. This topic drew more messaging and views than any other issue on CC's RCI board. I suspect they were surprised to some degree. It's possible this was all part of a strategy, though, but if so this little gambit probably cost them some loyal customers they'd rather hang on to.

The offer does address many of the issues that sparked the reaction, though imperfectly. It gives Diamond members a place to relax and mingle, and to enjoy some advantages of a concierge.

This was not just about a free drink. It was about a loyalty program whose members assumed loyalty went both ways. It was about many people who had focused for years on getting to a certain level, and feeling they were more a part of the cruise experience as a result. It was about feeling they had earned that little perk of gathering for a drink on the house, and talking with like-minded Royal Caribbean Cruisers. In the CL I met a lot of folks like me, who among other things had hung their hat on RCI pegs many times, and had a lot to share.

The back-pedaling by RCI will certainly go a ways to keep me on their ships. I never for a moment thought of cruising elsewhere out of anger, but only as a practical matter. One consideration was that losing all those Diamond perks simply leveled the playing field and made other lines much more attractive. Another is that past is prologue: If they renege on that relationship now, the bean-counters will probably not hesitate to do it again. This doesn't negate those considerations, but it makes it more likely that RCI will get my vacation dollars than was the case a week ago.

Finally, it is difficult not to feel contempt for those who reacted to this dismay with the snide and sneering accusations that posters were whiners and ingrates. I'm reminded of the saying that "the cynic knows the price of everything and the value of nothing." They are the ones who could mock the loss of free drinks and never understood the value of a relationship.

I suspect we won't be seeing any more additions to the perks from RCI, so people can decide at this point if it's worth it to stay, or look around.

I'm in 100% agreement!

I did not write that. ??? :confused:

Hey.....I look at it like this......If there weren't whiners, there would be no changes for the 'CHAMPAGNE & WINE'RS. LOL!! :p:D THANK US!!! LoL

DENISE -- 36 - Yonkers, NY

I did not write that. ??? :confused:

Hey.....I look at it like this......If there weren't whiners, there wold be no changes for the 'CHAMPAGNE & WINE'RS. LOL!! :p:D THANK US!!! LoL

DENISE -- 36 - Yonkers, NY

Don't mind him.......he's talking to me (I'm a Denise, too! :) ). LOL!

Oh you bet. :p

:eek:

Two quick questions, Cruzendude -- How long have you been in Jury Duty, and how many posts have you posted on this thread alone?:)

I'm sitting here in the jury box listening to some lawyer drone on and on about how his client didn't mean to kill those 14 people! :eek:.... j/k Just started today and I'm sitting here in a room with 120 other poor souls waiting for something to happen.....it could be worse though...without wireless access! :) post count???? don't know, don't care....I don't place any emphasis on them as many here do, and while I'm on the subject.....can ANYONE explain a rational reason for that???? Don't give me the "experienced" or "they have been around longer" stories either....most of us know those numbers aren't quite what they seem in a LOT of cases!:eek:

First of all you should not assume to have the power to command anyone to "Get over" whatever it is that you think they should "get over".

Second of all, I don't really give a dam about the steak surcharge I only used it as an example of one of the cutbacks that have diminished the RCCL experience. I could have picked others but I mentioned this.

If I posted that they need to address the understaffing of cabin attendants (my actual biggest complaint) I am certain you would have commanded me to "get over" that.

You must think it is your position or your duty to patrol for "complainers" and set them all right.

The objection to the steak surcharge still mystifies me. They are supplying a steak from Chops. There are still their regular steaks on the menu at no charge. We often go to restaurants where certain dishes have a surcharge. Its just an option. I am surprised they don't offer lobster as an option - I believe many would pay a surcharge for a good lobster.

They have taken my suggestion of following Princess's example and putting on a dedicated Bar in the evenings - and have gone one better - offering free wine and champers.

As I said previously, I believe it was a combination of complaints about overcrowding and money in a tight financial market. 25% off is better than nothing - on Princess its 50% off a drink special and the rest at full price, with no free wine or champers.

And many cruisers are already looking more closely at cruise prices - even before this happened.

As far as understaffing of cabin attendants is concerned - we have noticed this, but have also noticed that cruises are still great value for money!! With so much competition, they have to keep prices low. In fact, we did wonder on our last cruise, with all these huge ships holding thousands of passengers, whether they are having problems recruiting.

As long as the cabin is reasonably clean, the beds are made and we have clean towels, we don't get too picky!!

I think they have tried to satisfy most people - breakfast, access to a Concierge and a Bar for Diamonds. But there's no pleasing some people - and some people have never heard of the word 'compromise'!!!

:eek:

I'm sitting here in the jury box listening to some lawyer drone on and on about how his client didn't mean to kill those 14 people! :eek:.... j/k Just started today and I'm sitting here in a room with 120 other poor souls waiting for something to happen.....it could be worse though...without wireless access! :) post count???? don't know, don't care....I don't place any emphasis on them as many here do, and while I'm on the subject.....can ANYONE explain a rational reason for that???? Don't give me the "experienced" or "they have been around longer" stories either....most of us know those numbers aren't quite what they seem in a LOT of cases!:eek:

Most message forums have a post count - my guess would be that it lends credibility to the site - tracking hits and activity. Especially when trying to sell ads.

Archived