• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Difference between POA Excursions and Roberts?

OSUALUMNI

We are looking at doing the VNP and Rainbow Falls Tour while in Hilo. Does anyone know what the difference between POA's version and Robert's Hawaii's version? Through talking to Roberts on the phone, they just appear to go to a different botanical gardens, but POA's is 8.5 hours and Robert's Hawaii's is just 6. Has anyone out there done either? If so, your thoughts? Thanks in advance!!:)

• Administrators
We are looking at doing the VNP and Rainbow Falls Tour while in Hilo. Does anyone know what the difference between POA's version and Robert's Hawaii's version? Through talking to Roberts on the phone, they just appear to go to a different botanical gardens, but POA's is 8.5 hours and Robert's Hawaii's is just 6. Has anyone out there done either? If so, your thoughts? Thanks in advance!!:)

Do they both include a meal stop? I think the one through Polynesian Adventures (who NCL uses, owned by NCL) has a no host buffet lunch stop at Volcano House (or maybe it's included in the price, I can't recall).

Sorry cant help you with the excursions. :( But if you really want to save money rent a car and do it yourself. Very easy to drive to VNP and you can rent a car for around $30. Rainbow falls is also very easy to get to. Signs everywhere. :D

Good luck and have a great trip.

In regards to renting a car, I try not to do this as much as possible. My DH and myself are very close but tend to argue when driving in new locations. Want this trip to be as fun as possible without any threats of arguments.

Thanks Louise45...I went ahead and booked with Roberts. Definitely a big difference in price. I just hope there isn't a big difference in quality.

In regards to renting a car, I try not to do this as much as possible. My DH and myself are very close but tend to argue when driving in new locations. Want this trip to be as fun as possible without any threats of arguments.

Can totally understand. Me and Mom kind of argued too, but I won. :D

• Administrators

Thanks Louise45...I went ahead and booked with Roberts. Definitely a big difference in price. I just hope there isn't a big difference in quality.

There's a reason for that price difference, and it's not quality -- Roberts provides the ship-sponsored shore excursions to many other cruiselines which visit Hawaii. When NCL was starting up NCLA, they weren't able to agree on pricing with Roberts, so NCL bought Gray Line/Polynesian Adventures in Hawaii and uses that company to furnish their ship-sponsored shore excursions. Roberts serves Princess, Carnival, and HAL (if I recall), and I don't think you will find any substantial difference between these large bus excursions OTHER than price -- Roberts has made it a company policy to undercut NCL severely on price to get as many NCL passengers as possible!

Archived