• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

For these Italian ports, where can I NOT take pictures?

Another thread has me wondering...where can I not take a picture? My ports include Malta, Naples, Florence, Rome, and Villefranche, and we will be doing the normal touristy things. I know I cannot take photos in the Sistine Chapel, where else will I need to put my camera away?

Mississippi1,

It depends on what you like to visit :D. Some museums, churches, galleries do not allow any pictures at all (mainly because they want to sell their stuff), some do not allow any flashlights to protect the artifacts. As you surely don´t only go to one place in the mentioned cities you´re gonna take your camera with you anyway. All places were you´re not allowed to use your camera/flashlight will be clearly marked with big signs.

steamboats

Listing sites is easier. For example, in Rome, the Borghese Gallery does not allow photography, the Sistine Chapel says no photography but has occasional times when they do allow it with no flash, Vatican Museums are mostly photography with no flash especially in some rooms, Scavi tour is no photography. Many churches and museums allow photography without flash. Most places do not allow tripods. Some of the museums, Vatican and Accademia, allow photography but not in special rooms (David at Accademia and Sistine Chapel at Vatican Museums).

• 1 month later...

My DH got kicked out of the Sistine chapel when we were there 2 years ago much to our kids hysterical amusement, they never let him forget it. He was using his digital video camera. His reasoning was that flash could harm the artwork but how could video?. He claims it is the Vatican's way of making even more money out of us tourists by getting us to buy pictures of the same!!!! It was funny though

Terry

Archived