Who owns which cruise line?

cassieroll

These are the ones I know, but there are many more:

RCI owns RCCL, Celebrity and Azamara

Carnival owns Carnival, Princess, Holland America, Costa, and Seabourn (I think - I know it's one of the luxury lines).

NCL is owned by Star, or was. I think it's Apollo now.

Celebrity and RCCL are owned by RCI

NCL is owned by Star Cruises and someone else

Carnival, Princess/P&O, HAL, Costa and Cunard are owned by Carnival Corp.

Those are your major players.

Of course RCI also owns Azamara, Carnival owns "Yachts of Seabourn" and there are other nitch players out there

The lines are really different, even though most are owned by just a couple of companies. They attract different clientel. For example, I don't think you'll find a hairy chest contest on HAL, probably not on Princess (can't remember) and definitely not on Seabourn, but you absolutely will on Carnival. All of those are owned by Carnival and each has their own niche. But there are actually more similarities between the lines than differences, but you will rarely hear that addressed. Also, each line has their own history before they were bought by Carnival, and some of that is carried through today such as the predominate ethnic background of officers prefered.

Just to be clear Carnival Cruise Lines does not own Princess, HAL, etc; Carnival Corp does. That makes a huge difference. Carnival Corp allows each line to operate independently and compete with each other.

Carnival Corporation (CCL/CUK: largest cruiseline in the world): Carnival Cruise Lines, Holland America Line, Princess Cruises and Seabourn Cruise Line in North America; P&O Cruises, Cunard Line and Ocean Village in the United Kingdom; AIDA in Germany; Costa Cruises in southern Europe; Iberocruceros in Spain; and P&O Cruises in Australia. Note: Ocean Village is being shut down.

Royal Caribbean Cruises Ltd (RCL: 2nd largest cruise line in the world): Royal Caribbean International, Celebrity Cruises, CDF Croisieres de France, Azamara Cruises and Pullmantur brands.

NCL/NCL America: jointly owned by Star Cruises (largest Asian cruise line) and Apollo Management (private equity firm).

MSC Cruises: owned by Mediterranean Shipping Company

Windstar: Owned by Ambassador International (AMIE)

Crystal Cruise Lines: owned by Nippon Yusen Kabushiki Kaisha, part of Mitsubishi.

Silversea Cruises: privately owned by the Lefebvre Familly.

There's a bunch of River Cruise Lines, with the better known ones being Uniworld, Viking, and Amadeus. I'm sure I'm missing a bunch of them.

There's a great number of other ones but smaller in nature (Cruise West, Sea Dream Yacht Club, etc.). There's also a great number of smaller regional/country specific companies.

Thank you.

I just found it odd on the RCI board people talking about changing lines in one thread, saying Carnival sucks in another, and then saying they are going to go on a Princess cruise. LOL!

Why do you find it odd? We have been on 11 cruise lines including all owned by RCI and most owned by CCL. Each line is totally different, and in CCLs case each of their lines is operated independently with its own managment team, offices, and totally different on-line philsophy. The issue you mention on the RCI thread is a reaction to major cut-backs and policy changes on that line that are driving (and will drive) many of their loyal customers to other cruise lines. Many of us who have cruised for a long time (for us its about 38 years) understand that the cruise companies are dynamic and always undergoing change. The Carnival of today is nothing like the Carnival of 20 years ago (it is much much improved). Unfortunately, the RCI of today is not up to their standards of the past and seems to be dedicated to driving away many of their best customers. The bottom line is that there are some major differences between the various cruise lines (RCI and Azamara are as different as night and day) and also between the various ships within the lines (the Royal Princess is a totally different product than the Diamond Princess).

Hank

While rsearching our cruise, ports of call, etc at the library I found many good books. Two were about cruising: 1. Econoguide: Cruises (Insider tips and Money saving strategies) and 2. Complete Guide to Cruising & Cruise Ships. In the first book I mentioned on pages 196-197 it lists who owns who. The books are book very interesting to read. They give interesting points about all or most of the various cruise lines and teir ships. Check them out at your local library!:)

• 8 years later...

I wish people would realize that when they bump a thread that has been dormant for EIGHT YEARS what happens is that almost everyone who subsequently clicks on it will only read the first few posts of now-horribly-out-of-date information rather than start at the bottom. Which in this case the bottom is nothing but a link to a non-authoritative third party website, hardly meeting the board rules for when reviving a zombie thread is allowable.

Thank you.

I just found it odd on the RCI board people talking about changing lines in one thread, saying Carnival sucks in another, and then saying they are going to go on a Princess cruise. LOL!

Nothing out of the ordinary with that. Princess Cruise Lines may be owned by Carnival Corporation, but they are very different in style than Carnival Cruise Lines, also owned by Carnival Corp. We see the same thing in the food industry. For instance, PepsiCo, owners of Pepsi product line, also owns KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut. All are very different businesses under the same corporate umbrella. Being owned by the same company doesn't mean they are similar products.

Thank you.

Nothing out of the ordinary with that. Princess Cruise Lines may be owned by Carnival Corporation, but they are very different in style than Carnival Cruise Lines, also owned by Carnival Corp. We see the same thing in the food industry. For instance, PepsiCo, owners of Pepsi product line, also owns KFC, Taco Bell and Pizza Hut. All are very different businesses under the same corporate umbrella. Being owned by the same company doesn't mean they are similar products.

Don't expect a reply from cassieroll, they haven’t posted on CC since 2012.

Don't expect a reply from cassieroll, they haven’t posted on CC since 2012.

Gaaaa! I hate it when that happens. :eek:

I really need to get into the habit of looking at the dates of posts I want to reply to. It is so easy to assume that a thread or post is current. Perhaps an enhancement to the boards that would flag any thread over a year old with something clearly noticeable, such as a different color background, etc. would be helpful - at least for me! :o:o

Gaaaa! I hate it when that happens. :eek:

I really need to get into the habit of looking at the dates of posts I want to reply to. It is so easy to assume that a thread or post is current. Perhaps an enhancement to the boards that would flag any thread over a year old with something clearly noticeable, such as a different color background, etc. would be helpful - at least for me! :o:o

Of course, just because a topic is old there is no reason you can't have thoughts about it worth sharing. But, I agree, I feel like kicking myself for not being observant enough to notice that a theme has been kicking around for years.

Pepsi hasn't owned taco Bell, KFC and Pizza hut for about 10 years.

Pepsi hasn't owned taco Bell, KFC and Pizza hut for about 10 years.

Thanks for the correction. I knew that PepsiCo owned them in the 1990s. I never read anywhere that PepsiCo has spun that division off so assumed they still owned them.

Thanks again.