• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

RCCL or Princess for Southern Caribbean

We are planning a family cruise in Jan. 10 and can't decide which ship, AOS or the Caribbean Princess for the Southern Caribbean. We are all adults and most have not cruised before. Both itineraries look good but was wondering how the ships compare.

As I'm new to CC, would appreciate help from past cruisers.

Thanks!:)

Cruising, we have sailed both on Princess and RCL, and we enjoy them both. When i am deciding, I also take into account, the length of times we will be at each port, so compare each. We did the Brilliance for our E Caribbean, our first Radiance Class and they are our favorite. Is there much of a price differance between the two. For overall Cruising, we do prefer RCL, but will not hesitate to go with Princess if the itnerary & price works out better.

We are planning a family cruise in Jan. 10 and can't decide which ship, AOS or the Caribbean Princess for the Southern Caribbean. We are all adults and most have not cruised before. Both itineraries look good but was wondering how the ships compare.

As I'm new to CC, would appreciate help from past cruisers.

Thanks!:)

While I like RCCL, if I were in your shoes, I would pick the Princess ship. The AOS is always full of families, and Princess is just a bit more upscale (especially that time of year), than RCCL.

On January 10th most children are at school, so I wouldn't worry about families. We did the southern cruise on AOS and it was marvellous; we have also cruised twice on Caribbean Princess. I love both ships and you honestly can't go wrong with either, so here are some things to think about.

CP uses freshwater in the pools (these might be warmer in January than the sea water used by AOS)

CP's pools are more spread out and you can generally find a quiet and a noisier pool

CP has movies under the stars which is wonderful on a warm caribbean evening.

AOS has the promenade, there is nothing like it

AOS has the ice rink and the shows are wonderful

CP has anytime dining and not sure whether than is an option yet on AOS (we like the flexibility)

I think the AOS cabins are better arranged than CP

Like a previous poster - maybe the times in port should be the deciding point, both ships are lovely.

I would go with Princess as it had adult pools, the Internation cafe, i think they finally added the wine bar with sushi. Shows are good.

But in the end it as all about the ports. the last time I sailed from SJ Princess had better ports.

The 2 cruises we are looking at sail the beginning of January, 2010. I think they both have adult pool areas. We are leaning towards the anytime dining especially with only 1 sea day. I can't find any information about that being an option on AOS. We also like a sea day towards the end of the cruise just to relax from a port intense itinerary.

We would really like to book soon so we definitely need to make a decision. Thanks everyone for your help!

The 2 cruises we are looking at sail the beginning of January, 2010. I think they both have adult pool areas. We are leaning towards the anytime dining especially with only 1 sea day. I can't find any information about that being an option on AOS. We also like a sea day towards the end of the cruise just to relax from a port intense itinerary.

We would really like to book soon so we definitely need to make a decision. Thanks everyone for your help!

I sailed on AOS three weeks ago and loved it. The AOS does offer My Time Dining so that should not be an issue. I have never sailed Princess so I can't comment but I will say this. We had a cabin on the aft of the AOS and we were stern to stern with the Caribbean Princess in San Juan. I will say that from what I could see of the back, it did look nice.

The crew on the AOS was absolutely fabulous and IMHO the food was also. AOS is going into dry dock shortly for an overhaul so it will be like getting on a new ship for you.

I was on the AoS the week of March 15th and had a great time. However, I will say that with all things being equal I would take Princess. I feel the food is better, the service is better and the accommodations are a bit nicer on the Caribbean Princess than they are on the AoS. Princess is better at Anytime Dining than Royal Caribbean is at My Time Dining. At times I felt rushed on the AoS.

Princess doesn't have the ice rink and rock wall but I absolutely love "Movies Under the Stars". The big screen also comes in really handy when you want to see on-deck activities without having to crowd around the actual activity.

However, even though I feel Princess offers the superior product I usually choose based on the itinerary. While I do feel they (Princess) do most things a bit better the difference isn't so great that I would pick a cruise line over the ports.

Archived