• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Soda Card question for those off Pearl recently

lhall85917

Last spring on the Pearl we bought the soda cards but then took them back for a refund because they insisted that we could only get sodas if we carried around the Coka Cola mug that they give you. It is the only time that any NCL ship required that and it took away the ease of just taking out your cabin card to get a soda - we just don't want to carry the mug around with us all of the time.

For those of you back recently, did you get the soda card and if so, did you have to bring the mug around with you all of the time?

We were on the Pearl the first week of March. Both my wife and son purchased the soda card. We never received a mug. They were able to get sodas at all of the restaurants and bars.

They simply put a sticker on the access card. Most of the time they just flashed it to the bartenders to get a glass of pop. In most of the restaurants, all they had to do was mention that they had a sticker. Seems that the honor system is alive and well on the Pearl.

Enjoy your trip.

My son purchased the soda sticker on our 3/15 Pearl. He was given an insulated cup with lid. He could use it if he wanted, but it was not required. If he didn't use the cup he would just present his key card that had the sticker affixed to it. He would be given a glass of soda with ice. He loves Root Beer and found it in the buffet area. They have a small drink stand set up inside the buffet area. At dinner he just presented his card and was given soda. He got his money's worth. If you don't have a sticker on your card, there is NO free soda at dinner.

Another great deal on the ship was the smoothie package. My husband and I told our bar waitress that we wanted to purchase one for our teenage son and she brought it right away. The cost was 34.00 and it included 20 virgin smoothies. Folks have questioned whether the smoothie pass can be sold without a teenager present. We were going to buy two since we had 3 teenage boys with us but I am glad we didn't. We even had one left at the end of the week. My oldest son passed a free smoothie coupon to an incoming family after we got off the ship and were waiting for the shuttle.

So if my son has a soda in the restaurants he is charged? I thought soda came with the dinner. I'm soooo confused. Any help would be appreciated.

Sorry Moms - some cruise lines DO include soda at dinner but NCL is NOT one of them. If your son wants a soda with dinner, you will be charged for it.

Hope this helps you in your planning..

So if my son has a soda in the restaurants he is charged? I thought soda came with the dinner. I'm soooo confused. Any help would be appreciated.

If you don't have a soda card you will be charged for sodas wherever you order them -- in the restaurants, at meals, at the bars, wherever. If you DO have a soda card (which really is a sticker on your key card) then you won't be charged (assuming you show the card to the server).

If you don't have a soda card you will be charged for sodas wherever you order them -- in the restaurants, at meals, at the bars, wherever. If you DO have a soda card (which really is a sticker on your key card) then you won't be charged (assuming you show the card to the server).

Thanks for the reply. Is there a charge for ice tea - that's what my hubby and I drink - we don't drink soda. Are there any other beverages other than water that are free? I guess I will be getting a soda card and smoothie coupons for my son.

While the kids will drink enough sodas to pay for the soda card, most of us adults don't, and the card cost adults more. I just pay for soda with the account charge card and sign the bill as if it were a mixed drink or a beer. With NCL think of what a local restaurant will charge for, such as liquor, wine, beer, and sodas. Ice tea, coffee, and water are included/free, along with orange and cranberry juice for breakfast.

We had soda cards this past week on the Pearl. We did get the mugs and a sticker on our cards. A couple of times I used the mug, and they still wanted to see the sticker (I guess to avoid the people who would try to cheat). Usually, I just used the card/sticker to get soda at any bar, in the buffet and in the dining room. In most places, you get a decent sized glass, maybe 12-16 oz. Didn't hold a whole can's worth, due to the ice, but not micro-sized like the water glasses in the buffet.

There is a thread suggesting that NCL may be planning to change to Pepsi products. Since the mugs had Coke ads all over them, there may be a whole new program in the near future. I have a cabinet full of coke mugs home. Now what do I do with them?

There is a thread suggesting that NCL may be planning to change to Pepsi products. Since the mugs had Coke ads all over them, there may be a whole new program in the near future. I have a cabinet full of coke mugs home. Now what do I do with them?

Sorry, you'll have to throw them out because they will no longer hold fluids - or whatever one puts in a cabinet full of Coke advertising mugs.

Archived