• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Kusadasi----Already been to Ephesus

katz

When I was arranging our tour from Kushadasi last year, I contacted Ekol Tours. Their website showed a lot of other things to do. They offered things like balloon rides, rafting etc.

We went to the village of Sirrince in addition to Ephesus, but that wouldn't be an entire day. A few pleasant hours can be spent in the little town wandering around though.

Jill

What else is there to do and see in the Kusadasi area. We have been to Ephesus, Mary's House, the rug demo and the shopping area.

Any suggestions???

We also visited St. John's Basilica, the Isabey Mosque, the Archaelogical Museum (with Ephesus artifacts) and the one pillar remaining of the Temple of Artemia (one of the Seven Wonders of the Ancient World), all in Selcuk, not far from Ephesus.

Although we did not visit, I understand that many enjoy the hilltop picturesque village of Sirince.

What else is there to do and see in the Kusadasi area. We have been to Ephesus, Mary's House, the rug demo and the shopping area.

Any suggestions???

We'll be there in July...and put the same question to Ekol--since we used them for our tour last visit...And their prime recommendation was Sirince...

I talked it over with my wife...and we've just decided to just visit Ephesus again...

BUT...Last time, we did have a full day tour for two...and, in addition to Ephesus, visited Miletus and Didyma...and both are pretty cool archaeological sites...SO, if you didn't see those last time, that could be an idea...

I just emailed them about the boat tour. I hope this is something that can be done. I do NOT want to go visit any historical anything! I just want a fun activity :) The ship offers NOTHING beyond Ephesus, and that's cool for most people. I don't even like ship tours and was trying to find something else. I do hope this boat tour is something that would work for our group.

Here is your alternatives except Ephesus.

* Priene - Didyma - Miletos Tour ( if you are interested in Ancient sites )

* Adaland Aquapark

* Boat trip ( you can visit 3 bays and also lunch included. It starts 09:30am and finishes 16:30 pm. )

* Microlight - Sky Diving over Ephesus.

* Turkish Bath

Following our trip to Ephesus, we wandered around Kusadasi in the afternoon and went for a walk on Pigeon Island, it is close by and viewable from where the boat docks. I understand as well that there is a beach a few miles away that is reachable by bus, sorry don't have the bus number, but if you search on the boards I'm sure you will find a hit on it. Good luck and enjoy your day.

Hı from Turkey!

I am doıng a land tour here. I wıll be ın Ephesus ın a few days and I am plannıng to do a full day prıvate tour of Dıdyma, Prıene, and Mıletus whıch I am very excıted about. I loved Ephesus and wıll probably be seeıng ıt agaın on the NEXT vısıt. :D

Thanks, everyone for the great ideas. Hmmm--Turkish bath, now that sounds interesting. I think I saw the Lonwly Planet guy do that once and it looked dirty, painful and embarrasing. Has anyone ever done this??

I like the boat ride idea too. I am going to check Ekol and see of they offer them.

Thanks, agin.

Thanks, everyone for the great ideas. Hmmm--Turkish bath, now that sounds interesting. I think I saw the Lonwly Planet guy do that once and it looked dirty, painful and embarrasing. Has anyone ever done this??

I like the boat ride idea too. I am going to check Ekol and see of they offer them.

Thanks, agin.

MercedMike has a lovely post about his Turkish bath in Kusadasi. Check it out.

I did a Turkish bath at my hotel (the wonderful Sirkeci Konak) in Istanbul last September. I wanted this experience but my spouse absolutely refused, so, fortunately for me, my hotel had a spa which included a Turkish bath area (as well as small pool, sauna and massage rooms). So I simply booked this for 5:30 PM, after completing my sightseeing day. First I sat in the sauna for a while, then I was scraped with the rough hand mitten, then I had the fantastic bubble and rinsed, then I dried off and proceeded to a wonderful aromatherapy massage. When I returned to my room almost two hours lateer, I had to nap for a while before going out for an evening on Istiklal street.

So I missed the lovely architecture of the famous Istanbul baths designed by the famous architect Sinan, but I also missed the self-conscious embarrassment part.

I do not remember if the Kusadasi bath separates men and women. Look for MercedMike's post, which provides the details. His guide arranged it, but you easily could do it on your own.

Enjoy!

You can buy woven rugs and other things you do not need from the many helpful merchants after ALL of your money.:D

HMMMM -- yes I suppose you can.

OTOH you can take the opportunity to see many beautiful rugs, and pick out that perfect one that will grace your living room for many years, as we did.

If you buy what you know you want and need you will be very pleased with your purchase. If you buy on impulse from an importunate salesman, you will probably wind up making disgruntled posts...

Thanks, agin.

We LOVED the Turkish Bath, or Hamam! It is definitely NOT dirty, NOT painful -- and as for embarassing ... well, I would recommend you do it with your very closest friends in all the world, or else with people you will never ever see again in you whole life!! When they do it for the tourists, it is co-ed, so be prepared. You can wear a bathing suit if you want, but ... ;)

Check out our review and pics at http://www.elite.net/~thehalls/holyland2.html

That will also show you the lovely hill village of Srince which we enjoy visiting.

Thanks, agin.

I will post back when I hear something. I would love to know if anyone has actually done this tour?? It sounds just like something I want to do though.

Hı from Turkey!

I am doıng a land tour here. I wıll be ın Ephesus ın a few days and I am plannıng to do a full day prıvate tour of Dıdyma, Prıene, and Mıletus whıch I am very excıted about. I loved Ephesus and wıll probably be seeıng ıt agaın on the NEXT vısıt. :D

Oh! Nice to see you! Are you having a blast?? Can't wait to hear from you about other activities if you come across them:)

Be careful and have a great trip!

Why not visit the Railway Museum at Camlik - pronounced CHAM-lik. There are loads of steam locos which you can clamber all over - and there's very few folk there. See Kemel Attaturk's Royal Carriages including his bathtub! The gardens are beautiful and well maintained, there is a craft centre, an art gallery and a pottery with very reasonably priced items. The restaurant looks very good, but we arrived too late for lunch!! But please don't believe their blurb that it's the largest railway museum in Europe, as ........... it's actually in Asia!!

I found Sirince suffocating as it was full of wall to wall shops with persistent salespeople but the area around is wonderful.

If you go to the Mosque in Selçuk, the tea garden next door is incredibly restful and good for a snooze in the heat of the day! Selçuk also has a real market with local people and local produce.

I heard back from EKOL tours today about the Boat Tour. They do not offer it as a shore excursion. Which makes NO sense at all except I can totally tell that it really isn't their tour. You can book through them but the only pick ups are at hotels. They would NOT make any exceptions. They did VERY much try to push their other tours for the day. Which I specifically said I didn't want.

Dang! I thought I had finally found my boat tour :(

Archived