Guaranteed Cabin

SPHPRIMETIME

For the March 15 Westerdam cruise, we saw our cabin assignment 10 days before we left. I was checking every day, some days twice. One woman in our roll call thread did not find out until a couple of days before she left. There were a few really good upgrades among our roll call, but most were like ours--a better category but the same basic thing we paid for: inside to better inside, outside to better outside, balcony to better balcony.

We booked a guarantee for our Ryndam cruise leaving on April 4, 2009 and do not have our room yet. From what I have seen many people on our ship already have theirs. We book guarantees all of the time and the latest we have every got our assignment before is 10 days out (Maasdam in October 2008).

I agree it is a little nerve racking at this point. I am hoping that we get it before the online checking closes (3 days out).

I am checking online about once an hour now waiting for it to appear!! A bit obsessive I know, but a cruise doesn't really hit home for me until we have our room!

Technically-they can assign a Stateroom up to one day prior..but usually it is a done deal before that!

I'm not sure where you get this -- I had a cabin changed the morning I boarded several years ago. It was a great change, my only verandah! I had checked the evening before from the hotel, so I know it was changed the day we sailed.

Rich

Usually the guaranties are completed 10-1 days prior. I imagine there could be times where it is same day, I have just never seen it.

In addition to my own experience, I have seen many people on the various "Upgrade" threads that have related being upgraded at the dock. I don't know how other lines handle it, but HAL seems to move people into canceled cabins up to sailing. I got lucky and was moved into a cabin that had been canceled. While it may not happen often, with a guarantee you are really not locked into a cabin until you check in. BTW, this was my second cabin change for that cruise. I was initially put in one outside cabin, got moved to a better outside, then to a verandah. So changes can happen.

Rich

On my recent cruise I received my cabin aassignment when I checked in at the pier. There was no upgrade which would have been fine for me if there were no problems with the cabin.

Fran

Thanks everyone for all the replies! So, if I don't get my cabin assignment, what do I do when we get to the pier? We always leave our luggage with the porters and then go inside to check in. How do I do that without the cabin number to put on my luggage tags? (I know I'm being a little obsessive! :)

On my first cruise I did not get my assignment until the night before when I was in my hotel room in New York. I checked before leaving Vancouver that morning but it was not assigned yet. When I boarded the ship and got to my room I wound up have 15 suitcases, all with the same cabin number in addition to my own 3. I guess a lot of people got upgraded through that cabin!

Rod

Thanks everyone for all the replies! So, if I don't get my cabin assignment, what do I do when we get to the pier? We always leave our luggage with the porters and then go inside to check in. How do I do that without the cabin number to put on my luggage tags? (I know I'm being a little obsessive! :)

The porters will have a manifest with correct cabin numbers on it. Just ask them.

Rich

DBA said in his blog to just put GUAR in the room space on the luggage label.

We sail April 4 and don't have our room assignment yet.

I have been checking for the room either in the "check-in online" section of the website (or the book shore excursion part on edit information), the shore excursion part is now closed, and it says the online check in closes 3 days in advance of saying (which I think will be tomorrow), is there anyway to check for the room assignment online once both of those options are closed?

Thanks for any help.

I have been checking for the room either in the "check-in online" section of the website (or the book shore excursion part on edit information), the shore excursion part is now closed, and it says the online check in closes 3 days in advance of saying (which I think will be tomorrow), is there anyway to check for the room assignment online once both of those options are closed?

Thanks for any help.

You can call your TA or PCC.

DBA said in his blog to just put GUAR in the room space on the luggage label.

The problem with that suggestion is that it takes up the room on the tag where the cabin number should go.

Better to leave the space blank, then ask the porter to check the manifest, and fill in the cabin number right then and there.

Thanks for any help.

When you are trying to find your cabin assignment through "check-in online" are you going all the way through the process to printing your boarding pass? This is where I found my assignment last year as it did not appear at the starting page of online check-in.

Hope you get an awesome upgrade which will make all the anticipation so worth it! Have a great cruise!!

Rochelle

When you are trying to find your cabin assignment through "check-in online" are you going all the way through the process to printing your boarding pass? This is where I found my assignment last year as it did not appear at the starting page of online check-in.

Hope you get an awesome upgrade which will make all the anticipation so worth it! Have a great cruise!!

Rochelle

I have been trying both. At least once a day I try printing my boarding pass again (just look at it in PDF) because on our last cruise that should the upgrade category before the actual room was assignment. But that still shows our original category and "GUAR" for the room number.

An awesome upgrade would be great, at this point I just want a room on the ship though!!! =)

Archived