• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Open Seating Implementation

71Corvette

We'll be sailing on the Freedom in early January 2010 and we're really hoping to have this option available.

Does anyone know what Carnival's goal is for fully implementing open seating on every ship?

Based on the info I've seen so far, it doesn't look like there's any target date for Freedom. Does anyone know what the goal is for fully implementing open seating? Any idea how their choosing which ship to do when?

Carnival Freedom may already have open seating available...i know it will by June, because my PVP asked if we wanted to try it (we declined for this trip, but may try it in the future).

WOW! I've been off the boards for far too long! Didn't even know CCL was moving towards open seating. Will they offer both traditional and open?

Thanks.

So far it seems that they are offering both traditional and open. You have to choose your dining preference and you cannot do both. It is not fleetwide yet but is probably going to be.

Carnival Freedom may already have open seating available...i know it will by June, because my PVP asked if we wanted to try it (we declined for this trip, but may try it in the future).

This is good news, since the Freedom has not appeared on the list of ships going to open seating before. I'll be on the Freedom in June and may try open seating if it is available.

According to bookccl.com, the Freedom still doesn't have a date scheduled. The current schedule for implementation goes though September with most of them occuring in June. Apparently, this list is kept up to date because they've changed a few of them by a week or so recently.

http://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DiningOnboard_master.html

According to bookccl.com, the Freedom still doesn't have a date scheduled. The current schedule for implementation goes though September with most of them occuring in June. Apparently, this list is kept up to date because they've changed a few of them by a week or so recently.

http://www.bookccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DiningOnboard_master.html

Hmmm... Well hopefully Freedom will move up a bit on that list. We're really hoping to have this option when we sail in January!

So far it seems that they are offering both traditional and open. You have to choose your dining preference and you cannot do both. It is not fleetwide yet but is probably going to be.

I'm wondering how do they do both? One dining room for traditional and the other for open? Any other way would seem a little hectic to me. Anyone know?

I will be sailing on the Freedom in September. I am curious as to how the Open Seating (if it is implemented), will work. Will this be something similar to the Freestly of NCL, or the Anytime Dining of Princess?

Revolving waiters, no assigned table - is this what you guys are talking about? If I sound confused, I guess it is because I am!

I'm wondering how do they do both? One dining room for traditional and the other for open? Any other way would seem a little hectic to me. Anyone know?

There have been several threads about this already and from what I've read it looks like they have implemented the open seating dining in the upstairs part of the dining room. However they do it it would be manageable. It's no different than going to a restaurant with/without reservations.

Just one observation ( just my opinion) on other lines that have open dining times they also have many other dining options. Other venues that you pay for. Carnival has the main dining and the supper club only. In my opinion if at a certain time (example 600 pm) if half of the cruisers are set dining and more than half show up to dine there will be a wait for a table. Does anyone think ( I hope not) that carnival will add extra charge dining venues like the other lines.:confused::confused::confused: Not bashing open dining just a friendly observation.

Traditional dining is still offered on the ships with the open dining option. Word on the street is that open dining will be an option on all Carnival ships by the end of this year.

On Spirit class ships, which only have 1 dining room.....the open dining is in the upper dining room and the traditional is in the lower. I'm not sure how they handle it on ships with 2 dining rooms.

With open dining, you show up between 5:45 and 9:30 pm and they will seat you either with only your party or with others if you prefer. You can ask for the same waiters each night if you want to, but that may involve waiting a little longer for a table in their section to open up.

You can only do one or the other......no switching back and forth between traditional and open.

Traditional dining is still offered on the ships with the open dining option. Word on the street is that open dining will be an option on all Carnival ships by the end of this year.

Sweet! I'll have to keep my eyes open so that we can switch our dinner seating assignment.

Thanks!

We had anytime dining last month on the Liberty. The service was a little lacking compared to the MDR. But the food was just as good. The benefit of being able to go to dinner on our schedule was worth the lack of service usually found in the dining room.

We were just o the Miracle last week and our waiter told us next week they would go to open seating dining. Half of the upstairs (deck 3)would be open seating and the remainder would be regular assigned seating but you could not try the open seating then go back to assigned seating.

Archived