• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Have never used delta.?re:carry-on & linear inches

cruizer2d

We've never flown Delta. We're going on a 4 night cruise this week, flying Roch.NY to JFK to FLL, with a 35 min. layover in JFK. We're taking only a carry-on each, and I just looked up Delta's carry-on restrictions. My carry-on is 24"x14"x9". They want 22"x14"x9". How strict is Delta? Any suggestions? Also, I'm a little nervous about what I just read ,about Delta being late sometimes. We're flying in the same day we're sailing out (I'm not happy about that, but it couldn't be helped). When I called Delta, they said "the 2 planes are 'married ' to each other. The gates will be very close to one another". Any truth to this? Thanks--and I swear I'm going to take a Valium w/ me !!!:confused::eek:

Over the last two months, Delta's flights from ROC to JFK have been on-time 63% of the time (note: they are all operated by Freedom Air). The average delay was 31 minutes.

I assume you are taking the early morning flight. It has been on-time 53% of the time.

My carry-on is 24"x14"x9". They want 22"x14"x9". How strict is Delta?

A 24 inch bag is NOT a carry-on. Unless it's your own private Gulfstream.

When I called Delta, they said "the 2 planes are 'married ' to each other. The gates will be very close to one another". Any truth to this?
There is no way a telephone agent would know the gates this far out. And even then, it might change. Have your track shoes ready and DO NOT try to carry-on that luggage. Check it. Pay the fee. Read the rules.

Final word goes to Globaliser's prior gem: "No, the airline just makes up some random numbers and puts them on the website for fun to irritate and confuse their passengers. They don't mean it. Bring whatever you like."

We've never flown Delta. We're going on a 4 night cruise this week, flying Roch.NY to JFK to FLL, with a 35 min. layover in JFK. We're taking only a carry-on each, and I just looked up Delta's carry-on restrictions. My carry-on is 24"x14"x9". They want 22"x14"x9". How strict is Delta? Any suggestions? Also, I'm a little nervous about what I just read ,about Delta being late sometimes. We're flying in the same day we're sailing out (I'm not happy about that, but it couldn't be helped). When I called Delta, they said "the 2 planes are 'married ' to each other. The gates will be very close to one another". Any truth to this? Thanks--and I swear I'm going to take a Valium w/ me !!!:confused::eek:

Delta is not strict at all for carry-on. On the smaller plane out of Roch. you will most likely have to gate check your bag. This means you roll it right to the edge of the plane, they pink tag it, give you a copy, then you pick it up right beside the plane as you get off in JFK. My carry on is 22" but it is old and the handle sticks out about an inch and a half so I am almost 24 inches. Fly Delta 3-4 times a year and have never been questioned. I often see people with even bigger bags so I would not be worried about your luggage.

I would however be worried about your short connection time and cruising the same day. Delta uses mostly the same terminal for domestic flights at JFK so the distances are short. That being said, they are often late and they do not hold their flights. Not 'married' unless you are a big gang making the same connection, then they might wait.

In November of this year I spend the night at JFK because our Delta flight that landed on time couldn't get a gate (air traffic delay they said). When we finally got in the terminal our flight to FLL had just closed the door 5 minutes earlier. Because it was due to Air traffic delay, Delta took no responsibility for it. At least 40 of the 47 passengers arriving from Burlington that night missed our connections. The Delta agents all shrugged their shoulders and said "ATC nothing we can do". Hotels in the area seemed to be all sold out.

Save the Valium, you will need to be on your toes to get from one plane to the other and you might need it if you miss your flight:rolleyes:.

Wishing you good luck!

I fly Delta often and they ARE tightening their restrictions on carry on dimensions and weight. If you do on line check in and do not see an agent until you get to the gate then you might be able to slip by the fee but you will definitely have to gate check your bag and retrieve it when you land.

I sure don't know what the "legal" connection time is at JFK but you should prepare for an alternate means of getting to FLL. FLL is just a hop skip and a jump from the port so it should be your airport of choice. Check via Kayak or elsewhere to prepare a list of other options to get you to the cruise.

Consider MIA and know that a taxi from MIA to the port is at least 45 minutes in light traffic. I was on I-95 (in Miami) two weeks ago and it wasn't pretty.

I'm sure you also know that you must be on board at least 1 1/2 hours before sail away to satisfy Homeland Security.

Good luck and I really hope you make the ship.

Consider MIA and know that a taxi from MIA to the port is at least 45 minutes in light traffic. I was on I-95 (in Miami) two weeks ago and it wasn't pretty.

I'm sure you also know that you must be on board at least 1 1/2 hours before sail away to satisfy Homeland Security.

Good luck and I really hope you make the ship.

There isn't a day that goes by that I-95 doesn't have an accident. Florida is very good at letting people know what exits are next (usually 3-5 signs before you get there) and the signs are very clear even if you aren't from the area. The problem is people stay in the left lane even though they see a sign that says their exit is in a 1/4 mile then move over 5 lanes in 100 feet to exit. And the fire department usually shuts down the whole highway even if the cars are on the shoulder. I'm not sure why they do that instead of blocking 2 or 3 lanes nearest the accident. Using the Florida turnpike is much less accident prone.

All airlines are getting stricter about enforcing carry-on size and weight. 24 inch suitcases are not carry-ons. I've seen both TSA and airlines stop passengers when bags are definitely too big to be carried on (usually it's the airlines, but I have seen people stopped by the initial person at security when it's very clear to them that the bag is bigger than a carry-on). Plan on checking the bag and cross packing with others traveling with you (some of your clothes in their bags and some of theirs in your bag).

Archived