• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Pictures??

chloes nana

Here's a view of the hotel area, taken from a jetty..........

322957123_w59gU-L.jpg

This is a view from our hotel room looking down at the area where the ships are located. A bus or cab is necessary to get to and from the ship.

322954711_mHG95-L.jpg

A pedestrian mall/street:

322956793_dRLni-L.jpg

Some historical information from Wikipedia:

The modern city was built certainly over a pre-existing Etruscan settlement.

The harbor was constructed by the Emperor Trajan at the beginning of the 2nd century. The first occurrence of the name Centum Cellae is from a letter by Pliny the Younger (AD 107). The origin of the name is disputed: it has been suggested that it could refer to the centum ("hundred") halls of the villa of the emperor.

In the high Middle Ages, Centumcellae was a Byzantine stronghold. Captured by the Saracens in 828, it was later acquired by the Papal States.

The place became a free port under Pope Innocent XII in 1696. The main port of Rome in modern era, it was occupied by the French in 1849. On April 16, 1859 the Rome and Civitavecchia Rail Road was opened for service. The Papal troops opened the gates of the fortress to the Italian general Nino Bixio in 1870.

During World War II, Civitavecchia was severely damaged by Allied bombings, which caused several civilian casualties.

We got there a day early and enjoyed walking around the port.........Pete

If there is something specific you would like to see just let me know and I will take some pictures for you when I am there next month. Or is it more you would like a general feel for the place?

Rochelle

Having never been on a ship let alone in the mediterranean I wanted to kind of get the lay of the land. I have just read on the ports section on CC that it is a very large and very busy port, just wanted to get some familiarity with it. the port building itself especially. Thank you that would be wonderful!:)

The port looks like most ports ... heavy industrial area. Is there specific information you're looking for with regard to the town?

Okay, call me naive Jim,:o but I have never been on a cruise so I don't know what to expect, let alone what the port will look like. Have read on the ports section of CC that it is a very large and bustling port. Just wanted to get the lay of the land and what the port building looks like itself.

Here's a view of the hotel area, taken from a jetty..........

322957123_w59gU-L.jpg

This is a view from our hotel room looking down at the area where the ships are located. A bus or cab is necessary to get to and from the ship.

322954711_mHG95-L.jpg

A pedestrian mall/street:

322956793_dRLni-L.jpg

Some historical information from Wikipedia:

The modern city was built certainly over a pre-existing Etruscan settlement.

The harbor was constructed by the Emperor Trajan at the beginning of the 2nd century. The first occurrence of the name Centum Cellae is from a letter by Pliny the Younger (AD 107). The origin of the name is disputed: it has been suggested that it could refer to the centum ("hundred") halls of the villa of the emperor.

In the high Middle Ages, Centumcellae was a Byzantine stronghold. Captured by the Saracens in 828, it was later acquired by the Papal States.

The place became a free port under Pope Innocent XII in 1696. The main port of Rome in modern era, it was occupied by the French in 1849. On April 16, 1859 the Rome and Civitavecchia Rail Road was opened for service. The Papal troops opened the gates of the fortress to the Italian general Nino Bixio in 1870.

During World War II, Civitavecchia was severely damaged by Allied bombings, which caused several civilian casualties.

We got there a day early and enjoyed walking around the port.........Pete

Thanks Pete, great pics. do you have any of the port building itself? That is really what I am trying to see, the port or maybe a HAL ship in port in Civitavecchia....:)

Sorry, I don't have any of the actual dock facility, but really it was not impressive. We took a cab or bus (I don't remember which) to the ship, and the port facility was a one story building with a big open area inside. There will be counters set up for you to check in and chairs to sit in while you wait to board. We had to wait for a while because the Government didn't send enough personnel that day to check us in quickly. Wasn't Hal's fault, but we did have to wait for a while......not that we were delayed leaving port. Just a small blip.

We were on the Noordam also, and you'll love the cruise. Here's a link to some pictures from our trip if you're interested.

http://pete-menefee.smugmug.com/Travel/547396

Pete

Sorry, I don't have any of the actual dock facility, but really it was not impressive. We took a cab or bus (I don't remember which) to the ship, and the port facility was a one story building with a big open area inside. There will be counters set up for you to check in and chairs to sit in while you wait to board. We had to wait for a while because the Government didn't send enough personnel that day to check us in quickly. Wasn't Hal's fault, but we did have to wait for a while......not that we were delayed leaving port. Just a small blip.

We were on the Noordam also, and you'll love the cruise. Here's a link to some pictures from our trip if you're interested.

http://pete-menefee.smugmug.com/Travel/547396

Pete

WOW! great pics Pete, saved the website so I can stroll through them until I leave in 5 mmonths. thanks again:)

Thanks for the great pics John, but where's the Noordam in Civi??? just when I thought you had pics of all the HAL ships.....have you not sailed her??

Phyllis:)

Nope, I have not;) But these should give you some ideas about the port. HAL does not always get the same berths there

Hi Phyllis,

I like your name, same as my wife:D.

Anyways, I understand how excited you must be feeling about your first cruise and going around the Med. I promise you will have a trip of a life time.

I don’t know your exact itinerary, but you likely will be going to smaller ports and maybe even tendering. In these cases, if you can, get up early and watch as the ship roles into port. You will see some cool stuff you never seen before.

But knowing specific things and seeing photo’s might take the thrill out of it. So just a suggestion, keep some things as a surprise;).

Have a great cruise!

John

Hi Phyllis,

I like your name, same as my wife:D.

Anyways, I understand how excited you must be feeling about your first cruise and going around the Med. I promise you will have a trip of a life time.

I don’t know your exact itinerary, but you likely will be going to smaller ports and maybe even tendering. In these cases, if you can, get up early and watch as the ship roles into port. You will see some cool stuff you never seen before.

But knowing specific things and seeing photo’s might take the thrill out of it. So just a suggestion, keep some things as a surprise;).

Have a great cruise!

John

we are doing the 20 day Noordam cruise through Italy, France, Croatia, Tunis, Turkey, Spain, and Greece. I will have many surprises I am sure, just a little nervous about the overseas trip, the long flight and connections. I read on the mediterranean ports thread that Civitavecchia is a very large port and it scared me a little,:o, so I was just trying to get a looksy to see. Phyllis, and what a great name it is!;)

we are doing the 20 day Noordam cruise through Italy, France, Croatia, Tunis, Turkey, Spain, and Greece. I will have many surprises I am sure, just a little nervous about the overseas trip, the long flight and connections. I read on the mediterranean ports thread that Civitavecchia is a very large port and it scared me a little,:o, so I was just trying to get a looksy to see. Phyllis, and what a great name it is!;)

Gotcha;)

We were nervous traveling on our first Med cruise too. We boarded in Barcelona and I never heard of Cruise Critic before, so we were flying in totally blind. It was a bit stressful but son of a gun the transportation to the ship went a smooth as ever (seems like they have a lot of experience with cruisers over there :o(lol).

By the time we reached Civitavecchia I got the nerve up to walk over to the train station to try and go to Rome by ourselves (no ship excursion). So we just asked for directions and everyone we meet was very friendly and helpful. Got tickets to the train and once again everyone we asked for help (which train, how much, which stop we get off, etc) were more than gracious.

We explored Rome on our own and then hoped back on the train to go back to Civitavecchia and catch our ship. We had a wonderful time and totally got over any fear at that point. Next stop we did the same thing, and then there after throughout the whole cruise. So that is why I was trying to share with you this was the best trip in our life’s and discovered so much we had no preconceived ideas about anything, which made it that more special.

You’re going to have a great time!

John

Archived