Edinburgh: How do we get to Dryburgh Abbey?

Greetings! We'll be in Edinburgh for a day in late May, and since we had been there before (and loved it), I was looking for something off the beaten track. I love historic churches and church grounds, and I thought maybe Dryburgh Abbey would be the thing?

A Website mentioned that it was about an hour away from Edinburgh, so my questions are:

• Does anyone know the best way -- or the most interesting way -- to get there?
  • If you've been there, would you recommend it? Ideally, we'd only want to spend 3-4 hours roundtrip so we still have time to wander pretty Edinburgh.
  • Any other places spring to mind?

Many thanks,

Grace

Are you cruising? if so it depends whether you are coming in to Leith S Queensferry or Rosyth how long it will take.

I would say at least 90 minutes from S Queensferry and if you hit the am traffic on the city bypass could be a lot longer.

There are places just as interesting a lot closer. Have a look at Linlithgow, not so many tourists these days as the buses find it difficult to park! You could get a cab from S Queensferry or train from Edinburgh and be there in 20 minutes.

Have a look at Historic Scotland website for Ideas

Many thanks, just the kind of thing I was looking for! We're cruising and will come into Rosyth.

So if I wanted to go to the other destination you mentioned (sorry, I forgot the name), and I wanted to try to do it by train, would it be possible?

I'll check on the Website as well. Thanks again for your help!

Grace

Hi there - trains from Rosyth arent great, you would have to get to north Queensferry or inverkeithing by taxi or maybe there is a bus. Then you can get a train into Edinburgh where you could connect to Linlithgow.

It would be easier to get a taxi to Linlithgow - birth place of mary queen of scots see http://www.linlithgow.com - (takes you over the forth road bridge which you will have sailed under to get to Rosyth) then when you have seen, get the train into Edinburgh for a few hours then train to Inverkeithing and back to the ship.

There are many lovely places to visit in the area, however access from Rosyth isnt ideal if you dont have a car. :-(

If you are coming into Rosyth why not stay that side of the river and head for Dunfermline which is 5 miles away

Dunfermline Abbey - burial place of Scottish Kings and Queens until 1400s old church still standing from 1095

Palace (in ruins birthplace of kings and queens)

Abbot House - 16th century house beside the Abbey

Andrew Carnegies birthplace 5 minutes walk from the Abbey - you could have a great day in a real scottish town!!

Archived