• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

cruising new years eve

islandsearcher

New Year's Cruises are wonderful. We've done quite a few-- we are retired teachers now, but always cruised during the X-mas to New Year's break. Some years we were on board for one holiday and some the other.

To answer your question. With New Year's Day on a Friday, most schools will be closed until the following Monday, so yes, there will be lots of kids.

They make the evening wonderful on board these ships. We were on the Dawn Princess one year--they did the champagne glass tower at midnight, and a poolside party. Many people changed clothes after dinner so they would be comfortable at the celebrations. On one ship (can't remember which one) they didn't make New Year's Eve a formal night. When we questioned it, they explained that many people don't want their good clothing ruined by bubbling champagne, etc. They were right. We had lots more fun dressed casually!

My teen daughter and I were on the Crown Princess last New Years and on Caribbean Princess before that.

Yes there are a lot of kids but Princess does a good job of keeping them occupied. And for New Years seemed that there were a lot more couples cruising than families like we've experienced on spring breaks.

It's a great time to cruise but pricey. I'd love to do the Emerald this year but we've decided to do the Mediterranean next year so will save my money for that. BTW, 12 nights in the Med next March is also cheaper! Won't be the same fun, party atmosphere but that's ok

We've been on 5 New Years Eve cruises. Best was the Millenium Cruise on the tiny, now scrap, Dolphin IV. Then we decided why are we paying more money for free champaign? You can get that at the art auctions and my husband doesn't like it anyway. The deck parties are always fun and so is everything else on a cruise. We'd rather save the $$ for tours, specialty restaurants, and more cruises.

With New Years being part of the holiday season you can expect a large number of children to be aboard. Princess does a great job of helping pax bring in the New Year starting with hats and noise makers at dinner, lots of balloons to drop in the atrium and so forth...have not seen the balloons drop as I tend to be in bed by 10/10:30 but have heard the ships whistle sound at midnight.:(

Did the Paradise (Carnival) bringing in 2001 and just did the GEM (NCL) brining in 2009!! LOVED THEM...yes there are lots of kids...but my experiences were good ones in spite of the kids...don't get me wrong I love kids....I'm a 3rd & 4th grade teacher...but sometimes their PARENTS let them run crazy....but yes there are lots of kids since it's a holday break....

yes more money but I try to book a year in advance and get some kind of break in price since they do go up even more the closer to the sailing date....

Both times there were noisemakers, party hats, confetti, lots of parties...champagne...lots of fun...we dressed up for dinner..stayed dressed until midnite..then changed for hanging out until about 3 am....both times the next dasy was a sea day..so it's a great "sleep and suntan on the deck" day...

I am hoping to do the same ont he GEM from NYC this year or fly to Miami and sail the DAWN...go for it..you gotta do it at least once if you can...

GO NAVY!!! later all.. Marla

Go over to Youtube and check out some of the videos of the New Year celebration on a cruise ship. If you like standing shoulder to shoulder with 3,200 passengers on a boat in the middle of the ocean while everyone is downing alcoholic beverages then this is the type of cruise for you. I had always wanted to do one, and then I saw the videos...a little too crowded for my taste.

Archived