• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Anyone know who's rules take Precedence on bags?

Arwenmark

If you are flying one airline as far as booking but the flights are all on another airline, in this case I am booked with United but the planes are Air Canada they have different booking numbers for each company. Who's baggage allowance policy takes precedence?

Does anyone know? I could call but it takes forever to get a person and then half the time they don't really know the answer either, anyone have any experience?

Whichever airline you CHECK-IN with will be the baggage fees you pay.

that's kool because Air Canada allows 2 50 lb bags pp without charge plus one carry on and one personal item. Whereas with United you pay for the very first bag and more for bag 2.

that's kool because Air Canada allows 2 50 lb bags pp without charge plus one carry on and one personal item. Whereas with United you pay for the very first bag and more for bag 2.

In these changing times, I'd check Air Canada's website for current baggage and hand luggage entitlements and take that print out with me!!

If you are flying one airline as far as booking but the flights are all on another airline, in this case I am booked with United but the planes are Air Canada they have different booking numbers for each company. Who's baggage allowance policy takes precedence?

I would think if you have UA flight #'s it would be UA rules.

When you use your booking number which airline do you access?

I have been asking the same question - we fly transatlantic with BA and then domestic with AA. BA luggage allowance is much better and all the flights show on the BA itinerary. I know what you mean about calling, I have tried both airlines and Expedia (we booked through them) and each time get a different answer. I think Jetexpress has given better information than anyone official I have spoken to up to now. Thanks

I have been asking the same question - we fly transatlantic with BA and then domestic with AA. BA luggage allowance is much better and all the flights show on the BA itinerary. I know what you mean about calling, I have tried both airlines and Expedia (we booked through them) and each time get a different answer. I think Jetexpress has given better information than anyone official I have spoken to up to now. Thanks

As posted previously, IF your trip is booked as one ticket-LHR/JFK/MIA (or FLL), you are allowed 2 bags, 50 pounds each in coach. BA and AA have the same luggage allowance in coach for Transatlantic flights.

Your problem is the very early departure the following day on the AA flight. As posted previously, you MAY have to keep your luggage with you at JFK while you wait for check in on AA. Hopefully, BA or AA will have the transit desk open to recheck luggage after you arrive from London. And hopefully, BA will check your luggage all the way through to Florida. MAKE sure you have your itinerary handy throughout the trip.

Do you KNOW if Expedia booked this as one ticket or as two tickets-BA segment/AA segment??? I cannot "force" a replication of your specific flights on either the BA or AA website (most likely because of the agreement about "no compete" over the pond) OR in my cargo database (where I should be able to do it). Unless Expedia can give you a guarantee that you have ONE ticket written on BA stock, you very possibly have two separate tickets. And if you have two tickets, you will have to pay for bags on AA (although I sure would make a fuss about it to BA, AA and especially Expedia)

I would think if you have UA flight #'s it would be UA rules.

When you use your booking number which airline do you access?

I have two booking numbers one for United and one for Air Canada, I broke down and called United which is who I actually booked through, actually used a United credit I had for the ticket, and they said the carrying airline, the one you check in with has precedence. In this case that is Air Canada, it is a one way ticket so ONLY traveling Air Canada.

I have two booking numbers one for United and one for Air Canada, I broke down and called United which is who I actually booked through, actually used a United credit I had for the ticket, and they said the carrying airline, the one you check in with has precedence. In this case that is Air Canada, it is a one way ticket so ONLY traveling Air Canada.

Glad you got the correct info

Lyn

As posted previously, IF your trip is booked as one ticket-LHR/JFK/MIA (or FLL), you are allowed 2 bags, 50 pounds each in coach. BA and AA have the same luggage allowance in coach for Transatlantic flights.

Your problem is the very early departure the following day on the AA flight. As posted previously, you MAY have to keep your luggage with you at JFK while you wait for check in on AA. Hopefully, BA or AA will have the transit desk open to recheck luggage after you arrive from London. And hopefully, BA will check your luggage all the way through to Florida. MAKE sure you have your itinerary handy throughout the trip.

Do you KNOW if Expedia booked this as one ticket or as two tickets-BA segment/AA segment??? I cannot "force" a replication of your specific flights on either the BA or AA website (most likely because of the agreement about "no compete" over the pond) OR in my cargo database (where I should be able to do it). Unless Expedia can give you a guarantee that you have ONE ticket written on BA stock, you very possibly have two separate tickets. And if you have two tickets, you will have to pay for bags on AA (although I sure would make a fuss about it to BA, AA and especially Expedia)

I don't know if it was booked on 2 separate tickets. We have a BA itinerary which lists both flights, they say that this replaces our e-ticket. I can't face calling Expedia again, if we have to pay for a second bag, so be it, thanks for your input, it is much appreciated.

I have this problem with a round trip flight to Tromso Norway, but single way fare from Longyearbyen to Tromso on the way back. The flights with Lufthansa from the US (and connection to SAS Oslo to Tromo) allow two 50 pound bags per person (so to Tromso), however on the way back the portion from LYR to Tromso only allows one 44 pound bag (and 18 pounds in coach) even though I will be on the SAME flight/flight number from Tromo to Oslo (the plane makes a brief stop in Tromso). The extra cost for the bag will be more than the plane ticket to Tromso. We are able to travel with three 44 pound bags total for 2 persons which includes our parka/winter clothes, but two 44 pound bags will be impossible.

Someone at SAS told me I was at the mercy of the person who does the check-in at LYR, but the last person said because we were going back to the USA (less than 24 hour stop in Oslo) we would be under international rules and could check two bags for free.

The problem was that I had to book two separate trips but common sense should prevail although I doubt it will. I hate the stress have having to get into an argument at the end of my vacation. Again, I will be on the same plane from LYR-Tromso-Oslo. I was told checking in my luggage to Oslo (we have a forced overnight) would be no problem at all even with the two tickets.

We are able to travel with three 44 pound bags total for 2 persons which includes our parka/winter clothes, but two 44 pound bags will be impossible.

YIKES

What the heck do you pack :confused:

we usually take 1 bag each weighing less than 30 lbs...even the 2 bags combined are around 50 lbs total.

We have done 3 weeks on a Norway/Baltic cruise & month on other areas.

Lyn

YIKES

What the heck do you pack :confused:

we usually take 1 bag each weighing less than 30 lbs...even the 2 bags combined are around 50 lbs total.

We have done 3 weeks on a Norway/Baltic cruise & month on other areas.

Lyn

I wonder too. Are these people emigrating!? I actually did a few years back and with less than 2x44lb bags!

I went on holiday with my wife for 3 months last year taking in all different climates and weathers and we managed perfectly with one suitcase each.

I have this problem with a round trip flight to Tromso Norway, but single way fare from Longyearbyen to Tromso on the way back. The flights with Lufthansa from the US (and connection to SAS Oslo to Tromo) allow two 50 pound bags per person (so to Tromso), however on the way back the portion from LYR to Tromso only allows one 44 pound bag (and 18 pounds in coach) even though I will be on the SAME flight/flight number from Tromo to Oslo (the plane makes a brief stop in Tromso). The extra cost for the bag will be more than the plane ticket to Tromso. We are able to travel with three 44 pound bags total for 2 persons which includes our parka/winter clothes, but two 44 pound bags will be impossible.

Someone at SAS told me I was at the mercy of the person who does the check-in at LYR, but the last person said because we were going back to the USA (less than 24 hour stop in Oslo) we would be under international rules and could check two bags for free.

The problem was that I had to book two separate trips but common sense should prevail although I doubt it will. I hate the stress have having to get into an argument at the end of my vacation. Again, I will be on the same plane from LYR-Tromso-Oslo. I was told checking in my luggage to Oslo (we have a forced overnight) would be no problem at all even with the two tickets.

Would it be possible for you to check your luggage through from Longyearbyen to your USA destination (as your stay in Oslo is a forced one)? If so, that would be a way to receive the more generous USA international luggage entitlements.

We always do that when we stay less than 24 hours in Singapore, as Singapore check-in is often stricter in relation to overweight luggage, so it is easier to not have the worry.

If not, your hand luggage entitlement is -

Maximum weight per item is 8 kg. The maximum size is set to 23x40x55 cm, though the sum of these three measurements may not exceed 115 cm. Hand luggage exceeding these limits will not be allowed to bring on board.

If you use luggage this size, which expands, you can put whatever weight will fit in on the way over and check it in, then reduce luggage to max size allowable on the way back, so you can use it as hand luggage.

On the way back you wear everything heavy, carry all extras which you are entitled to carry (coats, umbrellas, reading matter, etc.), then put it all inside a bag folded into your hand luggage, when you get on the plane.

We are used to doing this, eg 2 bags from USA to Europe, 1 bag from Europe to Australia.

I wonder too. Are these people emigrating!? I actually did a few years back and with less than 2x44lb bags!

Maybe you misunderstood. I take 1 bag, my Dh takes 1 bag and we have another that we split. Last trip we were going to the Antarctic and the 3rd bag was actually in the cabin with us on the way there from the US (checked on the way back) with warm clothes for pre-cruise trip to Iguazu (other 2 bags left in BA - the 44 pound rule was for LAN to Iguazu and for 2 people). As for what we pack we had sweats and parkas for cold weather running clothes etc for the gym.

I guess you haven't looked on the HAL site. There is this one couple who takes approx 13 suitcases for a 2 week trip. They do usually drive as they are in Florida.

Would it be possible for you to check your luggage through from Longyearbyen to your USA destination (as your stay in Oslo is a forced one)? If so, that would be a way to receive the more generous USA international luggage entitlements.

No, we have to recheck the luggage the next day out of Oslo. That is not the issue. Greatam understands the issue. We had to pay for a separate ticket from LYR to Tromso on the way back because that segment was not available using our FFmiles. However, it's the same plane we are booked on from Tromso which would have allowed 2 50 pound bags each at no charge.

I also have camera Equipment etc and that is always a challenge (with my monopod) with the 18 pound limit in the cabin.

On the way back you wear everything heavy, carry all extras which you are entitled to carry (coats, umbrellas, reading matter, etc.), then put it all inside a bag folded into your hand luggage, when you get on the plane.

We play this game with LAN. They tell us to take stuff out of our bag with my DH holding the papers, book, camera Equipment in his hands, they place a tag on the luggage that it meets requirements, than we place everything back in the bag before boarding the plane.

The charter flight with them was the best because we were told by A&K "whatever they allow in the US is OK". "Three 50 pound bags per person is fine". We received our luggage tags at the hotel in BA. A&K was great as far as dealing with the airlines. We didn't.

No, we have to recheck the luggage the next day out of Oslo. That is not the issue. Greatam understands the issue. We had to pay for a separate ticket from LYR to Tromso on the way back because that segment was not available using our FFmiles. However, it's the same plane we are booked on from Tromso which would have allowed 2 50 pound bags each at no charge.

I also have camera Equipment etc and that is always a challenge (with my monopod) with the 18 pound limit in the cabin.

I understand. However, I have travelled on a separate ticket Brisbane to Sydney, then Sydney overseas return. On each occasion I have got the check-in person to check my luggage right through. (Otherwise you have to carry your luggage from domestic to international yourself, then check-in again in Sydney.)

When my daughter arrived back in Sydney from Antarctica in February, she did the same thing in reverse and the check in clerk even got her on a flight 2 hours earlier than scheduled. (She wrote a letter of appreciation to Qantas.)

We do it because it is cheaper, as many of our overseas flights leave from Sydney and some discount fares don't include the Brisbane - Sydney leg.

Might be worth a try, if you smile nicely. :)

We play this game with LAN. They tell us to take stuff out of our bag with my DH holding the papers, book, camera Equipment in his hands, they place a tag on the luggage that it meets requirements, than we place everything back in the bag before boarding the plane.

The charter flight with them was the best because we were told by A&K "whatever they allow in the US is OK". "Three 50 pound bags per person is fine". We received our luggage tags at the hotel in BA. A&K was great as far as dealing with the airlines. We didn't.

Ha! ha! How else can you survive with heavy winter clothes under 20kg entitlement?

Sounds like an A&K charter is the way to go.

I understand. However, I have travelled on a separate ticket Brisbane to Sydney, then Sydney overseas return. On each occasion I have got the check-in person to check my luggage right through. (Otherwise you have to carry your luggage from domestic to international yourself, then check-in again in Sydney.)

When my daughter arrived back in Sydney from Antarctica in February, she did the same thing in reverse and the check in clerk even got her on a flight 2 hours earlier than scheduled. (She wrote a letter of appreciation to Qantas.)

We do it because it is cheaper, as many of our overseas flights leave from Sydney and some discount fares don't include the Brisbane - Sydney leg.

Might be worth a try, if you smile nicely. :)

It is SAS to Oslo and they have already advised us that although its all on the same ticket (from Tromso to Oslo) we need to take our luggage and recheck it with Lufthansa the next day.

Archived