• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

carnival reduces price but not for past cruisers

travelingran

:eek: just noticed that carnival lowered their price on the cruise we have had booked since january. they advertise in order to get good pricing to book early.

we thought we had a good rate with our military discount. now it looks like we could get the same rate with the military discount.

this will be our fourth cruise with carnival, 3rd in the last 2 years. but carnival says we are in the penalty period and to get a new rate we would need to cancel and rebook. with the penalty, we would be at the same rate.

if carnival is going to treat their previous cruisers this way, i think we will be looking back at rccl. we have cruised with rccl a couple of times and guess we will be on rccl next year.

has anyone else had such a bad experience?

:eek: just noticed that carnival lowered their price on the cruise we have had booked since january. they advertise in order to get good pricing to book early.

we thought we had a good rate with our military discount. now it looks like we could get the same rate with the military discount.

this will be our fourth cruise with carnival, 3rd in the last 2 years. but carnival says we are in the penalty period and to get a new rate we would need to cancel and rebook. with the penalty, we would be at the same rate.

if carnival is going to treat their previous cruisers this way, i think we will be looking back at rccl. we have cruised with rccl a couple of times and guess we will be on rccl next year.

I think you might want to rethink going back to rccl. They are cutting a lot of perks for past guests. Sooo many people from rccl are coming over to Carnival.

I don't see that this has anything to do with you being a Past Guest - the "no OBC or price Drop after Final Payment Deadline" Policy was well-anounced and in-place as of December 2008. You still got a better rate than most cruisers with your Military rate.

You can "get even with Carnival" by switching, but I don't think you'll do better.

ken

I don't see that this has anything to do with you being a Past Guest - the "no OBC or price Drop after Final Payment Deadline" Policy was well-anounced and in-place as of December 2008. You still got a better rate than most cruisers with your Military rate.

You can "get even with Carnival" by switching, but I don't think you'll do better.

ken

I don't think you will do better. People that have came from RCCL to Carnival have said they have saved 1,000's.

:eek: if carnival is going to treat their previous cruisers this way, i think we will be looking back at rccl. we have cruised with rccl a couple of times and guess we will be on rccl next year.

Well, at least RCL does give you the reduction right up until you sail.

Seems like I have heard a lot of this switching cruiselines as the rules change lately??? Is there an echo in here? :eek:

Carnival had to announce that policy and enforce it. They knew what this economy was going to do to bookings and could not afford to provide obc's to bring everybody down to the lowest fares. By the end of last summer, my upcoming cruise was sold out on everything but inside cabins, as the economy worsened, a few cabins became available as people were not waiting for the penalty periods to cancel. By final payment date, 100 balconies had become available! It took very agressive pricing by Carnival to correct their occupancy and although cabins are still available on our cruise, they are limited in number. If Carnival turned around and gave OBC to everybody to reflect the rates that are now being charged, it could lead to a very poor quarterly report to their stockholders.

Seems like I have heard a lot of this switching cruiselines as the rules change lately??? Is there an echo in here? :eek:

It's, "The grass is always greener" complex. :rolleyes:

• Administrators
It's, "The grass is always greener" complex. :rolleyes:

I'm one who sails based on itinerary and price, in that order, and I'll probably never be platinum with ANY line unless I live to be 100+! :D I think the policy of refusing to lower prices to match is a product of the internet age. It used to be that cruiselines could afford to match lowered prices on request because so few people actually realized that their cruise price had dropped. Now, many of us (I'm one of 'em) check our cruise prices often and don't hesitate to call when the price drops outside the penalty period.

I don't find it unreasonable for cruiselines to establish a cut off date after which they will no longer make those adjustments. They MUST offer last minute discounts in order to fill the ship (and all ships sail full these days), but having to match those discounts for everyone who is a) booked on the ship and b) also owns a computer would be cost-prohibitive.

I thought it was pretty innovative of Carnival to introduce the Early Saver thing at about the same time they stopped price matching all the way up to sailing. I believe the only hold out "mainstream" line still matching prices after final payment is RCI (I could be wrong) -- but it doesn't seem like RCI's afraid to tick off their passengers lately, so maybe that policy will also be forthcoming there as well.

i did not get a lower rate with the military discount. it is now the same as anyone who books a balcony room

You had a lower rate until this recent price drop didn't you?

If you go over to RCI you won't touch a cruise for the same price as CCL.

Does RCI give military discounts?

Good luck whatever you decide to do in the future.:)

Bill

I'm one who sails based on itinerary and price, in that order, and I'll probably never be platinum with ANY line unless I live to be 100+! :D I think the policy of refusing to lower prices to match is a product of the internet age. It used to be that cruiselines could afford to match lowered prices on request because so few people actually realized that their cruise price had dropped. Now, many of us (I'm one of 'em) check our cruise prices often and don't hesitate to call when the price drops outside the penalty period.

I don't find it unreasonable for cruiselines to establish a cut off date after which they will no longer make those adjustments. They MUST offer last minute discounts in order to fill the ship (and all ships sail full these days), but having to match those discounts for everyone who is a) booked on the ship and b) also owns a computer would be cost-prohibitive.

I thought it was pretty innovative of Carnival to introduce the Early Saver thing at about the same time they stopped price matching all the way up to sailing. I believe the only hold out "mainstream" line still matching prices after final payment is RCI (I could be wrong) -- but it doesn't seem like RCI's afraid to tick off their passengers lately, so maybe that policy will also be forthcoming there as well.

I agree with everything you said :)

Most people understand that, after final payment and inside the penalty period, cancelling and rebooking incurs cancellation fees.....

They are not "treating" their previous cruisers "this way". It's in the contract....all of it....all penalties....information about price reductions, etc.

All you have to do is read before you put your money down...then you'll be "in the know" like most cruisers.

Not only Carnival, but most cruise lines have changed promotions, as well rules and regulations during the last few months. Some people are benefiting, some are not.

With that said, you should check out the RCCL boards before you decide to "return to them next year". They seem to be even more mad with their changes and cutbacks (and prices are still higher than Carnival).

According to my PVP, Carnival's sales this year are through the roof because they're benefiting from A LOT of former "loyals to Royal" booking on Carnival. Go figure...

I am working on booking my next cruise with Carnival, as I've had enough of RCCL. If you are happy with Carnival, now is not the time to try Royal. RCCL has become more restrictive about lowering prices after final payment has been made. The pricing has just become ridiculous & we can't afford to sail on RCCL anymore.

I would call Carnival and ask them when the "New" booking policy started. If the new policy started after the date you booked then they should have to honor the contract at that time....As in having to take off all the fuel surcharges they forced upon people illegally...;)

The other thing is that since you used a military discount there are different rules. You cannot apply two discounts....

I think you might want to rethink going back to rccl. They are cutting a lot of perks for past guests. Sooo many people from rccl are coming over to Carnival.

Oh yeah...Millions, just check the Carnival Boards, wishful thinking...

A couple of things here...

First, not every sailing offers military discounts and those that do are limited in number and come with certain restrictions.

As many folks have mentioned, the rules regarding OBC once in the 'penalty period' changed, in December in fact. Once final payment is made no OBC but Carnival has been offering upgrades. It's been discussed here many times.

All the information regarding pricing, upgrades and on board credit is available on Carnival's web site. Now, I understand that it's dry, boring reading but blaming Carnival because we haven't educated ourselves seems a bit short sighted.

I'm not sure that anyone else has mentioned this, but Royal does the same thing ... sure they will match price drops after final payment but many times the drops occur under promotional pricing which is labeled for new bookings only and not allowed to be used as a basis for price drops.

michellp, regarding your comment

"I thought it was pretty innovative of Carnival to introduce the Early Saver thing at about the same time they stopped price matching all the way up to sailing."

what's innovative about booking early saver to get a good price and in the end paying more. just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

alter looking back at pictures of adventures of the sea, rccl looks really good. i had forgotten the difference in the ships. ship layout on carnival has always bothered me. being able to walk the length of the ship without going up and down stairs was nice. we have heard many complaints on each cruise about ship layout from others.

maybe i am looking for an excuse to return to rccl. i will let you know next year if it was worth it to go back to rccl.

Archived