carnival reduces price but not for past cruisers

travelingran

I'm not sure that anyone else has mentioned this, but Royal does the same thing ... sure they will match price drops after final payment but many times the drops occur under promotional pricing which is labeled for new bookings only and not allowed to be used as a basis for price drops.

Yes, ONE sale, the Tuesday last minute sale is for new bookings only. All the other prices and sales up to sailing are still honored. All of the other prices, even the ones that say for new bookings only you can get them to match the price. I dont know if this one sale is your definition of "many times" or not, but ok.

That one weekly last minute sale is the exception. ... and yep, you hear just as much complaining about it as the many threads here on Carnival when they dont get the drop. When it affects you, you dont care.

michellp, regarding your comment

"I thought it was pretty innovative of Carnival to introduce the Early Saver thing at about the same time they stopped price matching all the way up to sailing."

what's innovative about booking early saver to get a good price and in the end paying more. just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Early Saver makes me nervous too, my parents are elderly and things can happen out of my control. Iv got two of them booked now.

I don't think you will do better. People that have came from RCCL to Carnival have said they have saved 1,000's.

uh-huh

7 Day on the Valor for us was $1000 cheaper than any 7 day cruise on RCI out of the Florida area.

I would expect Travel insurance would take care of that wouldn't it?

If I purchase insurance, then the low price of early saver, kinda is moot??

Usually by the time of final payment I would know if there is a issue and have the chance to cancel without penalty. I tend to book as far in advance as I can. If you have to increase the cost with insurance, to me that low early saver price isnt as great as it seems. Just my opinion of course. So far I only had to cancel one cruise before final payment, now there is a penalty. I either gamble the $100 ($50 pp) or pay for insurance.

Off-topic, I suppose, but insurance should be factored into the price of ANY cruise. You can wait until final payment to buy it, but it covers trip cancellation, delays, medical procedures, and evacuation if you should need it for some reason. All for a very low cost.

That's why I booked the early saver, not to mention it is cheaper than the the past guest rate and the new money back rate. So far the price I booked at has dropped $100/pp and I got credit for it. I can continue to do this up until the day before sailing. I just fill out the online form and within 24-48 hours I have my new price and OBC quoted. Insurance was only $89 for 2 of us.

I would expect Travel insurance would take care of that wouldn't it?

If you're buying Travel Insurance ONLY to cover your non-refundable Early Saver deposit, you're probably wasting your money! Travel Insurance only covers cancellation for the specific, limited reasons stated in each policy. There are a few, costly Trip Insurance policies with "Cancel for Any Reason" options, but these policies are costly and most only reimburse at 75%. ken

This is true. We went on the Liberty over Thanksgiving and I would call up to the last week of sailing. Since our suite price came down so much, we went on with a $1310 OBC. I couldnt spend it fast enough. According to our PVP after final payment is made you are done. You can upgrade no problem but done ask for a OBC. Also to echo the previous comment, our PVP said the last two months have been the busiest for her since she has been there which has been 7 years. I think the economy is really giving Carnival more and more traction and RCCl will be forced to lower their prices.

I booked past guest at $709 last year (x4). Switched to Early Savers and is now down to $479, which is a savings of $920 for four. My travel insurance cost me $120 total for the four of us (and that does include any serious illness or accident to any family member). . Total savings $800.

Early saver is the only price that gets OBC up to two days prior to departure. PERIOD!!!! It doesn't matter if you have cruised 1,000 times or this is your first. This is the chance you take when you book a cruise. Don't act like it is Carnival's fault you booked with a rate you were pleased with at that time. Prices fluctuate. It's what's called competitive pricing. Now if your price had gone up I don't think you would have been complaining. Sorry but it seems very me, me, me. If in the future you want the option of OBC after final payment, book early saver. It's that simple.

I will never book a cruise again without travel insurance. It is worth the peace of mind. Our first and only cruise was the Hurricane Ike Conquest cruise. Go figure. If we had had travel insurance we wouldn't be out of pocket for the rental vehicle, hotel, or other costs associated with the loss we suffered. But, then again we saved a whole $96 dollars.

That's why I booked the early saver, not to mention it is cheaper than the the past guest rate and the new money back rate. So far the price I booked at has dropped $100/pp and I got credit for it. I can continue to do this up until the day before sailing. I just fill out the online form and within 24-48 hours I have my new price and OBC quoted. Insurance was only $89 for 2 of us.

please explain further. have you paid your final payment?

are you saying the insurance is the reason you are getting obc?

Yep if you get a cancel for any reason policy.......I checked into it and it was double for the policy I pay for.......therefore bringing my price of early saver up to past guest prices.........

I don't see that this has anything to do with you being a Past Guest - the "no OBC or price Drop after Final Payment Deadline" Policy was well-anounced and in-place as of December 2008. You still got a better rate than most cruisers with your Military rate.

You can "get even with Carnival" by switching, but I don't think you'll do better.

ken

We just found out about this "new policy" ourselves, as my wife noticed the rates had dropped for our upcoming cruise. We had always been able to monitor prices and request either a refund or OBC for any price drops that occured after we had made our reservations. What does this do for encouraging early bookings? When did this policy go into effect and how was it advertised? I think if we were booked prior to the new policy, we should still be entitled to a refund of the difference. Anyone had any luck with this and/or suggestions on how to proceed?

we should still be entitled to a refund of the difference.

You were NEVER entitled to a refund, it was always done as a courtesy. In fact the small print for sales always says "new bookings only". Carnival is now enforcing this after final payment.

You were NEVER entitled to a refund, it was always done as a courtesy. In fact the small print for sales always says "new bookings only". Carnival is now enforcing this after final payment.

OK - Maybe that's true, we were not "entitled" to a refund even in the past. But when a company establish a practice that has always been the case on numerous previous cruises with that company, you kind of assume it is still in place. I realize the fine print probably suggests otherwise, but if you change the rules after I've booked, I guess I am OK in feeling that I should still be treated how we were in the past. Otherwise that is just poor customer service and they're setting themselves up for criticism. Now if I understand that's how future cruises will be handled, that's another thing entirely and I book those future cruises knowing full well how price adjustments will be handled (or not). Anyway, I would be happy with OBC, since that would probably make me spend way more on the ship!

No worries...I'll be back onboard shortly and happy to be there either way!

Guest TropicOne

Go back to RCCL and then you may have a real reason to complain.Just because someone is a past guest that does not make them exempt from company policy, in this case the penalty period.

• Administrators
michellp, regarding your comment

"I thought it was pretty innovative of Carnival to introduce the Early Saver thing at about the same time they stopped price matching all the way up to sailing."

what's innovative about booking early saver to get a good price and in the end paying more. just doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

Early Saver is a specific program, and it means sale prices will be matched until 2 days prior to your sailing. I don't think in the end I'd pay "more?" I'm not sure what you mean, actually.

Yes the deposit is non-refundable, but I always purchase trip insurance (thus that's not an extra expense for me -- it's a given) and the insurance would cover any non-refundable expenses like the deposit, Pricelined hotel rooms, etc.

where do you find the form on line to request obc since price is down?

You have to book under the early saver rate to be entitled to OBC. You did not book under that rate. It's a special program - not just booking early. Early saver was introduced around January. It is a lower rate than regular bookings, but your deposit is non-refundable. If you are unable to sail on a cruise booked under the early saver rate, you can switch to another sailing for a $50 per person change fee. With the added restriction, they give you a low rate to start with, and if your cruise fare drops between booking and up to 2 days before sailing, you will get OBC.

Archived