• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

can you St Peters Basilica from the train into Rome

We are going to go to Rome by train from our port. When we are arriving into Rome will be able to see the Basilica, dome ect from the train?

We are probably going to get off at Termini and go to the Colosseum, Capital Museum, Pantheon , Trevi Fountain and to the Spanish Steps and back to Termini. Can not figure out a logical way to get St Peters in our day. So hoping the answer is that I will get a glimpse of St Peters from the train.

Thanks Karen

If you wish, you can take a train from the port that stops at S. Pietro-very close to the Vatican. The fare is about 4E and the trains run frequently. See St Peters, then head off and do the rest of the sites on your list. OR you can do it the opposite way. We always find that the line ups are much less towards the end of the day, as are the crowds inside. Then take the train from S. Pietro to where you started from.

We are going to go to Rome by train from our port. When we are arriving into Rome will be able to see the Basilica, dome ect from the train?

We are probably going to get off at Termini and go to the Colosseum, Capital Museum, Pantheon , Trevi Fountain and to the Spanish Steps and back to Termini. Can not figure out a logical way to get St Peters in our day. So hoping the answer is that I will get a glimpse of St Peters from the train.

Thanks Karen

If you are going to the Spanish Steps, that is not far from Plaza Popolo where you can climb steps to the Pincio for a wonderful lookout over Rome to the Vatican and beyond.

Thanks Karen

Karen, I am going to do almost the same thing and got some great comments a few weeks ago from others who have done the same thing. From the port, take the train to the Ostiense Station which is before the central train station. I would have taken the train to the main terminal but based on a suggestion, I now plan to take the train to the Ostiense Station and take the blue line Metro to the Colosseum. You can save 15 minutes or more that way. Walk around and peek in. Then look at Constatine's arch. Then take the bus or walk up past the Roman Forum and the Vittorio Emanuele Monument, go toPantheon (and the Piazza Navona if time is running well.) I will then walk back (or take a cab) and go to the Trevi Fountain and Spanish Steps. Following this route I will end at the Spanish Steps Metro stop. From the Spanish Steps you can take the Metro to St. Peter's Square and just look around the square. You can save a lot of time this way and catch a train from St. Peters Square directly back to the port without having to go back to the main train station. I have been told that this is not too ambitious.

You may want to print out a street map of Rome. Frommers has a street map with major streets, the metro and the main train station (look for the map for the one day suggested itinerary of Rome). The map can be printed out. Once you study it for awhile, you will understand the logic of the route. If anyone wants to give their opinion, please do so.

=Bonnie

Archived