• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Upgrade question after final payment due to price drop

2sigs

Ok, so I know about Carnival's new policy and searched the threads on price reductions after final payment. I see that although there are no price reductions or OBC being offered some people are having success getting upgrades when the price drops. I paid $659/pp for my cruise, now the price is $609/pp - so $100 price drop in total. I have an OV 6B booked. (Could have gotten a 6A for same price but wanted room 2473 which has two windows and is oversized.) Is the only possibility for an upgrade at this point moving to a 6A? Balconies are still priced at $759 for this cruise so it's $200 more than I initially paid. Thanks for the info.

Ok, so I know about Carnival's new policy and searched the threads on price reductions after final payment. I see that although there are no price reductions or OBC being offered some people are having success getting upgrades when the price drops. I paid $659/pp for my cruise, now the price is $609/pp - so $100 price drop in total. I have an OV 6B booked. (Could have gotten a 6A for same price but wanted room 2473 which has two windows and is oversized.) Is the only possibility for an upgrade at this point moving to a 6A? Balconies are still priced at $759 for this cruise so it's $200 more than I initially paid. Thanks for the info.

I would just call and ask. The most they would do is tell you no.

I got 2 upgrade offers after final payments 8D to 8E (was offered an 8G but declined - like my privacy).

Brinda

I would just call your PVP or if you booked it via the web, call them up. We were on a cruise over thanksgiving and the price for the suite we were in went down so much that they gave us $600 OBC to offset. That has changed now and our PVP told us that after final payment is made, that dont even ask. However to get an upgrade, I would think that would be ok. We are going on the Glory July 4th w/ 2 balcony rooms and I am glad to see that the rate has gone up $100 per cabin but if it does go down, I will definitly be calling. :D

going from 6B to 6A is a downgrade not upgrade.

do as others suggest and just give them a call and see what they say.

Good luck :)

Bill

OK, so I finally called on the price drop today - figured I had nothing to lose. I was offered to move to a 6C which I declined since I have my nice oversized aft 6B location already. If I wanted to upgrade to a balcony I would have to pay full price as advertised on carnival.com which would have been $200 total. (I was hoping they might only want the difference between the price drop and the cost of a balcony which would have been $100 total.) I'll have to keep watching the prices to see if they ever get balcony room rate down closer to what I paid for my OV. For now, I'm happy to be cruising in 51 short days and looking forward to my cruise in my oversized OV with two windows!

Because Carnival is no longer giving price reductions they are really discounting the cabins after final payments are due.

I hate the idea of booking last minute because of airfare, but we were just on the Triumph and our balcony went for $150pp less right before sailing :mad:.

In the future I think that I'll just book an oceanview and then upgrade to a balcony when the balcony prices drop closer to sailing. I'll get to plan the cruise in advance AND get the fire sale price on the category I really want.

OK, so we are getting there. Prices continue to come down for my May cruise. Balconies are now at $709 and we are still 40+ days out from my cruise. It looks like there are a lot of cabins left for this sailing. If they come down just a little more then maybe I can that upgrade. :)

i know the prices for our up coming cruise have come down quite a bit. We were in a inside and the balconies dropped quite a bit to the point is was a 240 differnce in price. At less then 35 a night for a Balcony i couldnt say no so we upgraded to a 8B.

At this point I'd only have to pay $100 to go from an OV to a balcony. But since I have one of the oversized OVs booked (2473), I'm hesitant to go to a balcony for that price. I still have time so I'm keeping my fingers crossed that the prices keep dropping...

I've only had OV on my three prior cruises so I don't know what I'm missing yet! Best to stay that way unless I can get the upgrade for dirt cheap since I've heard once you go to a balcony you never go back!

I know you probably think I'm foolish but I'm waiting for something under $100. I'm hoping with 41 days out and how many cabins appear to still be available I'll get lucky. Besides, my husband would kill me if I paid another $100 for this cruise! I can justify $50 or $60 but not much more in his mind.

Archived