• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Sabatini

portlandpete

I have searched through the treads but couldn't find exactly what I would like to know.

At Sabatini's from what I have read it takes 3 hours for dinner. Is the the normal?

Again from what I have read there is lots of food. Is that true?

What are the different types of food?

How hard is it to get reservations for formal night. I know to book as soon as we get on the ship but we won't be able to get on till 2 pm. Do you think we will be able to get a reservation??

Thanks for your help!!

Hi Portlandpete,

on board Crown last May, we booked table early evening on arrival day for later in cruise and was not any problem, would allow 2-3 hours for dinner, having a rest between courses !

Food, ambience and service was superb, if my memory is correct you receive a soup to start, then a full selection of various starters, then a pasta course, then a choice of main with various side dishes, then a desert.

It was so good we celebrated our last night aboard by returning and doing it all again !

On the Crown, their was a top little cocktail bar adjacent to the entrance for pre and post meal drinks

Lee

We went to Sabatinis on Ruby in January on the second formal night - it was more than half empty. The meal does take a long time - I would say about three hours. There is an awful lot of food. Please take my advice - do not fill up on pre-dinner appetisers in Adagio (the cocktail bar), stay off the breadsticks and try not to eat all the antipasti offered. Otherwise by the time your main comes, you will be full up and as for dessert - forget it:eek:

All the food is delicious and the service is second to none.

I have searched through the treads but couldn't find exactly what I would like to know.

At Sabatini's from what I have read it takes 3 hours for dinner. Is the the normal?

Again from what I have read there is lots of food. Is that true?

What are the different types of food?

How hard is it to get reservations for formal night. I know to book as soon as we get on the ship but we won't be able to get on till 2 pm. Do you think we will be able to get a reservation??

Thanks for your help!!

The following is my review to our families after getting off of the CB a week ago. We dined at Sabatini's on Wed. March 18th.

Honestly, I am not even sure how to describe this experience so that you might have the slightest idea how incredible it was. But I will try. We had heard that we should come hungry so we did. They presented us with so much food, it was almost embarrassing how much we (I) ate. Almost. They give you a menu and you are to pick a single entrée from the many choices of seafood, chicken or steaks. Then they parade everything else on the menu past your table for you to sample. We started off with prosciutto and other thinly sliced meats. There were also different cheeses to accompany. The next “course” was made up of artichoke salad, sun dried tomatoes, kalamata olives, marinated this that and the other. Then came the lightly breaded calamari and fried zucchini and barbecued shrimp. If that wasn’t enough, they then offered several different salads including fennel and mixed greens. Then came the hand-made pasta course. They had cheese ravioli in truffle sauce and linguini in an Italian marinade. THANKFULLY the entrées showed up next because we were rapidly running out of space to store all of this food. My wife enjoyed a cold water lobster tail and I had the seared sea scallops. Absolutely delicious. After dinner we split a top notch tiramisu and sipped lemon cellos. We both agreed that this dinner was in the top 3 meals either of us had ever enjoyed! If any of you happen to take a Princess cruise, take my advice and book a reservation at Sabatini’s. You will thank me later.

Additional notes for the OP: Sabatini's charged us a $20 pp cover charge. The lemon cellos were an additional cost as well. I think our dinner was around 2.5 hours. Tons of food...and I am a HUGE eater. Pace yourself if you want to be able to try everything. We tried to book the first formal night, but it was already full (we went to Sabatini's about 2 hours after getting aboard--we were onboard by 12:30 PM). However, Sabatini's was not even half full when we were there that Wed. night. Summary: Try it. It is well worth the $20 cover charge.

-Chad

BTW-Do you live in Portland, OR or Portland, ME? Or does portlandpete have absolutely nothing to do with where you live? Just curious as we are in Portland, OR!

I am from Maine and the name is not real. Long winters and more than enough time to plan for spring cruise...

Loved your review for your family! Now I know we want to go. Top 3 so it must be really good. It seems like more food than we can eat but we will give it a good try if we can!!

From what everyone says if we can go we will make sure to be very hungry.

It is sounding like we are getting on the ship too late to be able to make reservations for formal night????

Totally understand about the tipping but thanks for the reminder.

I am from Maine and the name is not real. Long winters and more than enough time to plan for spring cruise...

Loved your review for your family! Now I know we want to go. Top 3 so it must be really good. It seems like more food than we can eat but we will give it a good try if we can!!

From what everyone says if we can go we will make sure to be very hungry.

It is sounding like we are getting on the ship too late to be able to make reservations for formal night????

Totally understand about the tipping but thanks for the reminder.

Maine. Great place. I went to school at UNE (just a few miles north of Kennebunkport). Gorgeous in the summer, but I know where you are coming from with regard to escaping from the winter. Same reason we did the southern Caribbean itinerary just two weeks ago.

Yeah, Sabatini's is incredible. We are still marveling at the dinner. One I will never forget and can't wait to do again once back on a Princess ship. You can try to tell them smaller portions as they keep bringing it out, but they don't know the meaning of it.

Hey try for formal night. You never know. Actually, there were spots open, but we didn't want to start dinner at 9 PM so we elected for another night that was wide open so we could have dinner at 7 PM.

3 Hours is ridiculous. Unless you are with a group and you are talking incessantly I can't imagine how any dinner could last that long I was in and out in about and hour and half max. Probably just over an hour.

I dined at Sabatinis on the CB last week. We made reservations for one of the formal nights but screwed up the date. We went a night earlier instead. We had no problem changing the day and time and the restaurant was half empty. Other people we met claimed to have difficulty getting a reservation but I am not so sure about that.

The food was really good - Not incredible and it certainly didn't leave me "marveling" but it was def worth the $20. Be forewarned that if you are looking for typical American style Italian you will not find it here. There was not a red sauce in sight. There is a lot of seafood on the menu and everything is very fresh. No chicken parm, veal parm or chicken picatta if that is your idea of Italian. Both pasta dishes are excellent. I had the Veal Chop. Highly recommended.

I got on the ship around 2PM. We entered on the promenade deck and we passed a guy sitting outside the restaurant taking reservations. We booked there and then. The restaurant never seemed full though. Plenty of open tables when I was there.

We went with our tablemates who became friends to Sabatini's.We had a wonderful meal and with fabulous company it was very enjoyable ..You cannot be rushed at Sabatini's and I'm not sure how long we stayed..but we were stuffed .If memory serves me right we did not make the show that night .But we did not care !!!Also we went around 8pm.I do not remember when we finished but it was late and we lingered over drinks and coffee.If you are in a rush go another time

The food was delicious ..but I love seafood and there was a lot of it .Presentation was real nice My son does not eat seafood but he enjoyed the other courses.

It is an experience to share with others not a rush rush venue

I would definitely do it again .Be advised it is LOTS of different foods and all delicious

Whatever you do Go Hungry

ENJOY!!! Bon Appetit!!!

3 Hours is ridiculous. Unless you are with a group and you are talking incessantly I can't imagine how any dinner could last that long I was in and out in about and hour and half max. Probably just over an hour.

I dined at Sabatinis on the CB last week. We made reservations for one of the formal nights but screwed up the date. We went a night earlier instead. We had no problem changing the day and time and the restaurant was half empty. Other people we met claimed to have difficulty getting a reservation but I am not so sure about that.

The food was really good - Not incredible and it certainly didn't leave me "marveling" but it was def worth the $20. Be forewarned that if you are looking for typical American style Italian you will not find it here. There was not a red sauce in sight. There is a lot of seafood on the menu and everything is very fresh. No chicken parm, veal parm or chicken picatta if that is your idea of Italian. Both pasta dishes are excellent. I had the Veal Chop. Highly recommended.

Well it took us about three hours - perhaps we ate at a slower pace than you. You have only to look at the menu - I cannot see how anyone can finish a meal of that length in an hour:eek: We like to take our time when dining and would never finish any dinner in an hour.

Well it took us about three hours - perhaps we ate at a slower pace than you. You have only to look at the menu - I cannot see how anyone can finish a meal of that length in an hour:eek: We like to take our time when dining and would never finish any dinner in an hour.

I suppose if you like to sit back & have a conversation during dinner you might enjoy a 3 hour meal. The extraordinary length of the meal comes from the delay between the minuscule courses & not the time it actually takes to consume it. My wife is an exceptionally slow eater & even she felt it was much to drawn out especially when they open at 6 PM & you want to get to an 8:15 show.

I guess everyone is different. For me it wasn't much different than any other restaurant meal I have had other than having a soup AND salad both of which were on the small side. A typical restaurant meal for me involves appetizer, salad, entre and sometimes dessert & coffee.

The dishes themselves were not a lot of food. Cumulatively they added up to a really good meal but the portions themselves were somewhat on the small side. Although we tried all the antipasti dishes it was just a small plate of food. No bigger than your typical appetizer dish at a regular restaurant. The amount of pasta served to us (table for two) was enough for each of us to get 2 pieces of ravioli and about half a cup of pasta each. The amount of soup was about a cup size. Im sure we could have ordered more if we wanted but that is what they brought to the table. For me dining is not about quantity but quality.

Our meal lasted no longer than dining at the Coral.

Archived