• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Bonine for motion sickness

llorear

We're booked on the Mariner 8/12/2009 Alaska. Has anyone used Bonine for motion/sea sickness? DH has in the past gotten rather "green" while on a deep sea fishing trip out of Miami & would hate for him to not enjoy the sea excursions that we are planning on taking. :(

Thanks!

Yes, we used it on our last cruise out of New York. First night was very choppy. One pill put me out for well over a day; I was so foggy and groggy, but not sea sick. Hubby took Bonine also, says it helped him.

I only took it the one time - I just hated the feeling of being so out of it on my long-awaited cruise vacation. BUT, I know others on these boards swear by it and have used it very successfully. Personally, I will use the Sea Bands wrist bands again (and they DO work), but will never again take a drug for sea sickness. JMO.

We were just the opposite - DH couldn't take it. but it didn't bother me. This was on our Alaskan cruise also. Now I tell everyone to try whatever you are planning to take at home first - before your cruise is impacted by a drug.

Can one use Sea Bands and then use Bonine if those do not work? I would prefer the non-medicinal solution but am concerned that if they don't work my vacation will be ruined!

Can one use Sea Bands and then use Bonine if those do not work? I would prefer the non-medicinal solution but am concerned that if they don't work my vacation will be ruined!

Yes, you can use them both. I would have both available, seasickness is a horrible feeling.

LOVED the Bonine! I used it on our transatlantic from Barcelona to NY last November. I didn't get groggy at all. The one mistake I made was that I took it the first morning we were out to sea, after the ship had been rocking all night, rather than that first night. So, I was nauseous that first day. Then I took the Bonine each night from there on and was absolutely fine for the next 5 days at sea.

My DW has been taking Boninie for years with no problem (I also take one when its really rough). Since you only need to take 1 pill per day, its a good idea to take it right at bed time. That way, it might help you sleep and you will be fine in the morning. You might be interested to know that Bonine is actually Meclizine HCL which is the same drug given by prescription for Menieres Disease (an inner ear problem).

Hank

We have used Bonine for years, with no problems. Grandpa was even able to us it with all of his meds that he takes. Of course ask you DR first about any new meds that you take, you wouldn't want any unwanted interactions during your vacation.

Just be advised that taking Meclizine, [bonnie, dramamine etc.] after you are sick will not help at least not for a long time.

The only thing I know that works if you are already feeling ill is the Relief bands, and I would assume for those that can use them without having their hand fall off, the sea bands as well.

Remember too if you do take a medication route the effects of alcohol will be greatly increased on the medication. So not drinking is advised.

I use both the sea bands and bonine and it helps me alot I get sea sick looking at the ship lol lol. I cant take alot of meds but this helps me and I dont feel sleepy after. I start takening it the next before.

Please try it at home before you sail. I took it one time on our Alaskan cruise, and I couldn't wake up the next morning. I felt like a zombie, and I don't drink at all so I wasn't mixing it with alcohol or any prescription meds. I kept waking up and thinking I was awake and then falling asleep again. It was an awful feeling, and I would only use it again if I was so seasick that I wouldn't care if it knocked me out. It may be fine for you, but you should try it at home just to be sure.

I agree on trying whatever you decide on athome first. My DW tried Dramamine on a cruise few years back.She had an allergic reaction - face swollen and rash . Ship Doc gave her a shot that pushed it out of her and she was ok. Oh yeah, the shot was $200.

Archived