• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Hotel Recommendations in Rome

JaneBP

I have checked the past posts, and wonder if anyone has stayed at the Inn at the Spanish Steps. It's a SHW. I read the Intercontinental was a fav, any updates? I will be in Rome 5 days prior to sailing and am not wedded to the Spanish Steps neighborhood. Would like a hotel with a rooftop restaurant and an elevator.

There were some restaurant suggestions for the area, but they are two years old. Any new spots?

Also, I don't want to cash in my already de-valued IRA either, so price is a factor.

I second the Hotel de Russie, imo the best in Rome. However, they do not have a rooftop restaurant. What they do have is probably the most beautiful garden and patio setting in the city which the restaurant overlooks. It is right on the Piazza del Popolo just a few minutes walk from the Spanish Steps. Another good hotel with an excellent rooftop restaurant is the Eden. Great views and terrific food.

I love the Hassler -- it is really the best hotel in Rome and one of the best in the world and it does have a rooftop restaurant. The concierge is a genius and is certainly the best in the world. The rooms with the view over the Spanish Steps are very expensive indeed. We stayed in one of these once, but would opt to take a cheaper room in the back of the Hassler rather than stay in a room with a view in a lesser hotel. BTW, I used to live in Rome, so I do know something about it.

Jane, I've had very good luck twice at the Hotel de Russie. I suspect great rates can be had for the asking. (PS, I think we've been on the Spirit and the Legend together, two years apart.) Bob

I have never been on the Spirit, had to cancel my plans in '07. But the Legend, one of my favs, of course. Thanks for the recommendation.

Martha,

Not signed up for the transfer to the Legend as yet. Figured I needed to get a hotel first. So many choices. The website you noted has been recommended. I have a new TA working on it for me as well.

Welcome Back!

We had an excellent stay at the Hotel Valadier. They have a nice website, a rooftop restaurant/bar (as well as an interior restaurant and bar), and an elevator. Beautiful interiors, a short walk to the Spanish Steps and many good restaurants nearby. Have fun.

Jim.

>"...Seabourn's hotel, The Regina Baglioni"

It looks lovely, Martha, but again, pricier than I want to spend for my 5 days. While my European travel began using Fodor's 'Europe on $5 & $10 a Day' I do not wish to repeat that ilk, but I am trying to be frugal this time. (Well, frugal within reason, of course!)

Jane

As you know, my middle name is "frugal" ~!~ Being raised in a West Texas home it just comes naturally, but this time JB and I decided to "spring" for the expensive Seabourn hotel in order to have hotel/ship transfers. I always prefer smaller, family owned hotels and thru' the years have found comfortable and wonderful 'lit inns/hotels ~~a favorite in San Jose, Costa Rica. Last Dec. I found a "gem" inn before flying home from San Juan.

I'm happy to hear you have a new TA! The absolute "key to travel!"

You must find an easy way to transfer to the Legend. A car would be best (drop off by the gangway) as you don't want to walk the pier. Can you simply book Seabourn's transfer?

I know your London trek was fabulous!

MB

Fortunately, transfers are easily scheduled. That won't be a problem, and I will ship a suitcase ahead, as you do. I am planning a day trip to Florence, not my favorite city, but to try and find a particular jewelry store (that may or may not still be in existence) where my mother bought lots of lovely jewelry in the mid-60's. I like to have a quirky road trip or two in my journeys.

Speaking of Rome, found this on Chris Kimball's blog (of America's Test Kitchen). He wasn't keen on most of them, this

was the best. He just got home from Rome, in time to finish the maple sugaring.

"Trattoria Da Gino, Vicolo Rossini 4 (near P.zza del Parlamento off D. Prefetti). Fone: 06.6873434. Lunch Friday, only Italians, great waiter, even if he got the order of our courses all mixed up. NO credit cards, cash only! BEST BLOODY MEAL IN ROME. Mostly suits from the Parliament which is just a few blocks away. The pastas with peas and mushrooms was a revelation. Fabulous service, fabulous experience — would eat there every day. A MUST visit."

Yes, it's lovely and unfortunately, too pricey for this trip.

What fun to watch the filming. I got to see Jamie Fox in Philly recently, before he was facing a burglar at his hotel room door!

Archived