• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Visa rewards advice needed

Booked an E2. I will cash in 125,000 points. That will get me $ for the free minimum ocean view cabin. Should I get the coupon now and apply it to my booking? What if a senior rate becomes available later. we do not sail til March 2010.

You can apply the point certificate at any time. Just keep in mind, you MUST apply the certificate withinh 6 months when you receive it to a cruise.

You do not have to cruise within the 6 months.

I always wait close to final payment, in case you have to cancel, you will have a hard time getting them points back on your account if at all possible.

If a Senior rate becomes available, for an E-2 cabin, you will still have a balance for you cabin due to the upgrade and will be able to get the Senior discount at the time it is offered!

Good Luck

Booked an E2. I will cash in 125,000 points. That will get me $ for the free minimum ocean view cabin. Should I get the coupon now and apply it to my booking? What if a senior rate becomes available later. we do not sail til March 2010.

I would wait too. I had heard this is "not" the way it works - but it did for us. We received credit for the minimum available OV - we received more off at the time I finally got the certificate (I had to wait to get enough points) than when I first started looking.

When I first started looking - the minimum available OV was about $800 or so, when I sent in the certificate it was over $900 - and that is the amount we had credited to our booking. This was for a free companion fare - worth 75,000 points.

We booked a D1 and I have enough points for a free companion fare - not sure if I will have enough for fare for 2. Will they apply the discount to the price I booked the cruise at, or the current price? The current price is so much higher now than when we booked that it may no be worth using if they apply the coupon at current prices (and I have to pay the difference in current pricing).

I sent mine early on my Dec 1 and Dec 5 OASIS because I wanted to receive the maximum value and I was afraid they would change the program values and I wouldn't receive maximum value. Received $3,500 off with a total od 175,000 points. You never know what they will do with the way the economy is.

I am going to have to watch the availability of minimum ocean view cabins. Because if none are available when I send in the ceretificate I am out of luck right??

We have always booked higher than the minimum OV for the certificate. What has happened with us - they deduct the price of the minimum OV at the time we booked. Doesn't matter if there are cabins available or not. Then we pay for the difference between the min. OV and the balcony.

We booked a D1 and I have enough points for a free companion fare - not sure if I will have enough for fare for 2. Will they apply the discount to the price I booked the cruise at, or the current price? The current price is so much higher now than when we booked that it may no be worth using if they apply the coupon at current prices (and I have to pay the difference in current pricing).

In our experience - it was the price at the time I got the coupon/certificate in to them.

That may not always be the case, I have read others say that it is the price at the time you originally booked. But again - in our case - it was current price :D

I suppose in order for them to apply the price at the time you booked - they would have to be keeping record of all categories, all ships, for every day from the day the sailings are released to the day they sail?:confused:

I sent mine early on my Dec 1 and Dec 5 OASIS because I wanted to receive the maximum value and I was afraid they would change the program values and I wouldn't receive maximum value. Received $3,500 off with a total od 175,000 points. You never know what they will do with the way the economy is.

I agree with this point totally, but for also for another reason. Most people have been waiting for price reductions, and getting them in these times. With a price reduction also comes a reduction in point value in my case. I used 75,000 for a free companion at OV rates. As prices dropped, so did the value of my 75,000 points. If had applied the points right away, I would've been locked in with that amount of credit on my bill for the OV, and as prices drop, the value increases. We ended up getting our D2 for lower than the OV was at initial booking, so instead of having to pay the upgrade for my wife to go from OV to D2, we would've actually gotten credit from the overage on the OV and been able to apply it to my D2 thus really maximizing my points. One draw back for this thought-a price increase.

Luckily, my D2 also took an equal drop in price vs the OV, so we have used points with no net gain or loss from initial booking, so status quo was held-no biggie.

Hope I wasn't too confusing. Did that make sense?

I am confused. My cruise is one that has had a significant price increase - almost double since I booked! Since I am looking to buy a free companion fare I calculate that I would be in great shape if they apply it to our original fare, If they apply it to current fares I am going to end up paying almost the same as what I currently owe in the balance. I know the value would not be as much, but in that case I would be better off to just use the points for $$$ off any cruise. I'm not sure what to do as I'm seeing different answers as to which way they apply the points - at the time you book or the time you submit your points.:confused:

I am going to have to watch the availability of minimum ocean view cabins. Because if none are available when I send in the ceretificate I am out of luck right??

If there are none available WHEN YOU BOOK you are out of luck and you get NO COMPANION FARE.

We have always booked higher than the minimum OV for the certificate. What has happened with us - they deduct the price of the minimum OV at the time we booked. Doesn't matter if there are cabins available or not. Then we pay for the difference between the min. OV and the balcony.

If there are no min. cabins available WHEN YOU BOOK you DO NOT get the COMPANION FARE. They will however split up your points for money off the cruise fare and/or OBC. I just went through this 2 weeks ago. Not fun.

I am confused. My cruise is one that has had a significant price increase - almost double since I booked! Since I am looking to buy a free companion fare I calculate that I would be in great shape if they apply it to our original fare, If they apply it to current fares I am going to end up paying almost the same as what I currently owe in the balance. I know the value would not be as much, but in that case I would be better off to just use the points for $$$ off any cruise. I'm not sure what to do as I'm seeing different answers as to which way they apply the points - at the time you book or the time you submit your points.:confused:

They gave me my credit based on the price at time of redemption. My cruise went down, if I had redeemed high, and the price went down, the dollar amount of the redemption remains the same. I have not been on a cruise where I have used points and the price went up.

If there are none available WHEN YOU BOOK you are out of luck and you get NO COMPANION FARE.

If there are no min. cabins available WHEN YOU BOOK you DO NOT get the COMPANION FARE. They will however split up your points for money off the cruise fare and/or OBC. I just went through this 2 weeks ago. Not fun.

I guess that makes sense - because what value would they give you?

If there are no OV cabins available, even if you are going to apply the value to a higher category room - they have nothing to base the value on.

So the warning is - don't wait so late that there are no OV cabins left available!

It should be at the time of redemption. That is what it was for me. You just have to calculate the best time to do it. In this case, unlike stocks, purchase low, redeem high, but don't wait until there are no more cabins and you can't redeem at all. If you can get the maximum value for you redemtion now, I.E. if your your redemption value was a maximum of $1000 and the minimum available is currently at $550pp or $1100 for the stateroom, then they will take $1000 off your total for you owning $100. If it is lower, say $450pp or $900 total, then you will only get $900 instead of $1000.

The fare you have already booked and put a deposit on will not change....even if the price has gone up since then. Turning in your points for a free companion fare should only reduce the amount you owe by the value of the free companion fare. Either actually free if you have booked an OV, or a reduction in the amount owed if you booked a higher category room.

Or.....did you originally book a lower category room? And now you want to upgrade to an OV using the free companion fare to offset the cost of the upgrade? I am not sure what they do in that case. Maybe you would be better off to wait and see if prices come back down again before you switch.

You can always call RC and they will tell you what they would do, what the value of your certificate would be.

Received $3,500 off with a total od 175,000 points. You never know what they will do with the way the economy is.
I'm confused!! I thought the most you could apply to one cruise was 125,000 points for value not to exceed $2,500.

Clearly I'm missing something. Could someone please explain??

The fare you have already booked and put a deposit on will not change....even if the price has gone up since then. Turning in your points for a free companion fare should only reduce the amount you owe by the value of the free companion fare. Either actually free if you have booked an OV, or a reduction in the amount owed if you booked a higher category room.

Or.....did you originally book a lower category room? And now you want to upgrade to an OV using the free companion fare to offset the cost of the upgrade? I am not sure what they do in that case. Maybe you would be better off to wait and see if prices come back down again before you switch.

You can always call RC and they will tell you what they would do, what the value of your certificate would be.

We booked a D1 - so a higher catgory. The cruise price has gone up a lot. No more balconies are available, but OV is. I was hoping to have enough points for both fares by our May statement. final payment is due the end of July.

If you have a certificate for a free companion fare and no Ocean views are available, you can still book a balcony (if available). You will have to pay the difference between the minimal ocean view price and the balcony cabin for the companion,plus the highter fare for yourself, but you may still wind up ahead (plus get a balcony) doing it that way than using the points for an OBC, as then you will only get 1% of the value of the points.

We booked a D1 - so a higher catgory. The cruise price has gone up a lot. No more balconies are available, but OV is. I was hoping to have enough points for both fares by our May statement. final payment is due the end of July.

If I understand the situation correctly:

At the present point - the min available OV (on your sailing) is worth $559 per person - for 25,000 points they would give you a credit of $559 towards your D1 for the value of the "free companion fare on a 3 to 4 night cruise" . That is a pretty good deal. If you can reach 50,000 points AND there are still OV cabins left available they will give you credit for a "free 3 to 4 night cruise for 2". If the lower category/value OV cabins are all gone by then, and they have only higher priced ones left - I BELIEVE you will get the value of whatever is available when you redeem your certificate (when it gets to RC).

Good Luck - and enjoy your cruise!

If I understand the situation correctly:

At the present point - the min available OV (on your sailing) is worth $559 per person - for 25,000 points they would give you a credit of $559 towards your D1 for the value of the "free companion fare on a 3 to 4 night cruise" . That is a pretty good deal. If you can reach 50,000 points AND there are still OV cabins left available they will give you credit for a "free 3 to 4 night cruise for 2". If the lower category/value OV cabins are all gone by then, and they have only higher priced ones left - I BELIEVE you will get the value of whatever is available when you redeem your certificate (when it gets to RC).

Good Luck - and enjoy your cruise!

Thank you. I hope it works that way and they credit us that amount towards the current balance we owe - then it would be a great deal.:)

I booked and paid for a OS using cash and 125,000 points. I received a credit of about $2000 (the price for two for an OV room). The price for the OS went down a total of $900.00. I called and they matched the lower price and credited me the additional $900.00. This only worked because I booked a higher catergory and paid the difference. So if you are going to pay for a higher room, watch the price and if it goes down call and ask for a price adjustment. (just a note, it was not easy to do. When you call they tell you only paid x dollars for the room. They do not realize that you paid for part of it with points. I had to speak to manager before anyone understood what I was trying to do.)

Archived