First time cruiser, conquest, Montego Bay?

tantoria2

Any tips for a first time cruiser with hubby and 13 yo daughter? What is the best thing to do in montego bay?

Sunset beach is good. It's an all inclusive. meaning food and drinks included.

Everyone does the falls, which is a good choice. Rafting the martha brae is a fun alternative. Just whatever you do get out of MoBay. Not that it is as bad as everyone will tell you, but get out and enjoy the beach or enjoy the countryside.

Try the "ports of call" board on this website. There are some great posts about what to do in these places.

Be prepared for the CRAZY DRIVING by the locals in Jamaica, and if someone asks you if you want xxxx (anything, sometimes it's illegal), just say "No thank you, Mon" and keep on walking.

Cayman is very safe. The water is beautiful here.

Cozumel - What can I say? You can find anything you are looking for here, but I like to shop and haggle with the locals.

...barring that my advice is to book something ahead so that you are already set when you get there. If you arrive with a plan you'll do much better and enjoy yourself A LOT more. You can do a carnival tour if you want, but also consider one of the other companies that book island tours so there is someone waiting for you and can run a bit of interference. Also the port section of these boards will give you good advice on independent operators you might want to try. I would recommend a resort day to avoid the vendors as much as possible. If you do any sort of zip-lining or jungle tour (lots of fun) brace yourself for the end. Everything in Jamaica concludes with a market of some sort with the most aggressive venders I have ever encountered ANYWHERE in the Caribbean. If there was ever a location to be cautious and street smart, this is it.

This is NOT the port to wander to the end of the dock and try and catch a cab somewhere, you will be descended upon quite literally (it's the only place I've been where venders have physically grabbed me.) I would not wander around especially with a teenager. Basically outside of the cruise dock you're fair game. I should give you a couple of warnings. If you end up in a market NEVER give a vendor your name, they will quickly carve in on some wooden trinket and force you buy it. You will be offered pot for sale on many occasions if you happen to be separated from your group. Google "ready Freddy" so you know to expect him, there will be carvings of him for sale everywhere.

Personally I disliked my last stop in Jamaica so much I will not book a cruise that goes there ever again. The island looks so beautiful from the ship, all lush and what-not. But the experience out there, Ugh!

Anyone done the horseback riding on the beach? Sounds fun, just need more info.

I have heard the driving in J is crazy. we were in China in 07 and they absolutely drive cray,lol!

We did the Horseback Riding on the Beach in 2007.

Really dissapointed. We rode the horses up some steep and rocky terrain. We actually rode through someone's yard. We could see the gentleman sleeping (at least I hope he was sleeping!) on his porch.

The on the beach portion was having the leader take a few people at a time out into the surf on the horse. This was scary. I almost fell off and the horses were not too keen about it either.

We did the Falls in 2008. Very physical. We did the combo Dolphin/Falls experience and we were very rushed at the Dolphin location. The most interesting part of the trip was when the bus driver was stopped for speeding...the local police carry machine guns.

We on the Conquest on June 7th. We are looking at the Beaches or Kool Runnings excursion...we have 2 tweens and 2 teens travelling with us.

Be aware about the security at the MB cruise terminal. They ask you to split into 2 lines...females and males so you family will be split up.

Do not wander around MB by yourself or book an shore excursion outside of Carnival.

countdown.pl?name=bead_dazzled&date=6-7-2009&image=Greece&text=&ship=Carnival Conquest

Carnival Festivale - 03/18/89

Disney Wonder - 03/08/03

RC Rhapsody of the Seas - 07/01/04

Carnival Esctasy - 06/11/06

Carnival Conquest - 03/18/07

Carnival Conquest - 06/08/08

Carnival Ecstasy - 12/18/08

We did Sunset Beach Resort for the day and it was great! The beach was well kept, and the chairs and everything are included. When we were there, which was a couple of years ago, it was a $5 cab ride over, then $20 for adults and $10 for the kids. It includes food and drink so it really is a bargain since my kids drank literally 10 frozen virgin drinks during the day. The pool had a swim up bar and a volleyball net. There is also another pool if you just want a little quiet time. I went with my two kids, who were 10 and 12 at the time and would recommend it especially w/kids. A lot of people back on the ship were complaining about getting approached on the island and we did not have any of this. There is a large shopping area right at the dock for your touristy items, makes it easy to hop back on the ship with your packages.

Have a great trip!

I would have to recommend doing an excursion with AZ planners. We did mayfield falls, which is closer to montego bay, and margartitaville, I posted a full review but I think it got deleted :(. We had our own tour guide, and I fell in LOVE with Jamaica. They offer other excursions too, we had alot better experience than alot of people. If you have any questions about it feel free to ask!

Okay! :D Mayfield Falls has a website, if you google it you can find it. Its a series of small waterfalls that you climb through. Its not too hard, but I wouldn't say its exactly easy. The water is mineral water, and our guide said we would have the best nights sleep we have ever had, I don't know about all of that but it WAS very relaxing. There are some spots where you can jump off small cliffs, or trees, and we got to see one of the guides dive off a very high tree, that was really cool. There are a bunch of jacuzzi type things to get in, and lots of picture opportunites, we brought our own camera and the guide took all of our pictures for us. There is also a part where you swim under a tunnel. There is one big waterfall at the end too. Its about an hour from Montego Bay, I think. I wasn't really paying too much attention to the time, and it takes awhile to get through the falls. It is not crowded at all, like it is at Dunn's River (from what I hear)

Also the hill leaving the falls is REALLY steep, and the people at the end of the falls will try really hard to get you to buy something. This didn't bother me too much, just an FYI.

They have lockers for $5 I think, and a place to eat there, but if you were doing the tour we did, we ate in town and the Pork Pit, which is really good (and cheap). Our guide Mark stayed with us the whole time, and would tell people not to bother us. We got to Margaritaville at 3 and he asked us what time to pick us up. We had plenty of time to do other things if we wanted. We had our guide all to ourselves, and even stopped at a coconut stand on the way back to have coconut milk and buy a few souveniers from a really nice lady. The whole thing was alot of fun, I obviously recommend it!

I understand your concern. We (husband, 12 y.o. daughter and myself) went to Sunset Beach Resort and for 40.00 per adult and 20.00 per child you go to a resort which doesn't allow vendors into. I didn't want my child especially to be asked anything. This was a perfect day in MB. Also, I have always been told that to only use cabs which have red license plates..others (anybody from the island) can come up and say they are taxi's, just be sure the license plate is red. I just don't take any chances. This is the only place I would go if going to Jamaica, it was wonderful.

We were in MoBay and did the Rockland Bird Sanctuary, and other sites, if you are into history then they have places you can visit. I would recommend getting a taxi before hand. I managed to get one thru this site and used her services. Her name is Kadeth Robinson and if you want I can give you her details. We felt very very safe with her and was never once approached by anyone. She is a young woman who has a wealth of knowledge of the island. We really had a wonderful time with her.

Archived