• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Sailing on the Jewel -- have a few questions

ls340532

I have just completed a regimen of chemotherapy and am soooooo looking forward to the relaxation of a transatlantic cruise leaving Miami on April 17th. I have a few questions...

I've read on these boards that NCL has switched from coke products to pepsi. True? Do they have caffeine free cola available? I really don't care for pepsi. Can I bring my own supply of caffeine free diet coke aboard?

We've been on one cruise before -- NCL Sun Alaska cruise in 2005. I can't remember if the rooms are stocked with shampoo, conditioner, etc. as in a hotel, or do I need to bring my own supply? I'm trying to pack as light as reasonable since I know we'll be handling our own luggage in London.

Is the library on the Jewel very well stocked? Are movies available on the TVs in the rooms? Have they started charging for those?

If we bring our laptop, will we be able to access the internet in our room? Am I correct in my understanding that NCL will provide a loaner laptop if you purchase one of their internet packages?

Thanks for helping me with my last-minute planning. Only 2 weeks from today!!!!!!!!!

I have just completed a regimen of chemotherapy and am soooooo looking forward to the relaxation of a transatlantic cruise leaving Miami on April 17th. I have a few questions...

I've read on these boards that NCL has switched from coke products to pepsi. True? Do they have caffeine free cola available? I really don't care for pepsi. Can I bring my own supply of caffeine free diet coke aboard?

We've been on one cruise before -- NCL Sun Alaska cruise in 2005. I can't remember if the rooms are stocked with shampoo, conditioner, etc. as in a hotel, or do I need to bring my own supply? I'm trying to pack as light as reasonable since I know we'll be handling our own luggage in London.

Is the library on the Jewel very well stocked? Are movies available on the TVs in the rooms? Have they started charging for those?

If we bring our laptop, will we be able to access the internet in our room? Am I correct in my understanding that NCL will provide a loaner laptop if you purchase one of their internet packages?

Thanks for helping me with my last-minute planning. Only 2 weeks from today!!!!!!!!!

I can't answer all your questions, but here's what I know:

They have switched from Coke to Pepsi, at least on some of the lines. If you're really concerned, you can indeed bring soda (whatever flavor you like) on board with you. Lots of folks simply bring a case, slap a luggage tag on it, and it gets delivered to their room. You'd have to make sure your steward keeps the ice bucket full! :)

There are two dispensers in the bathroom -- one at the sink with hand soap; one in the bath/shower area that dispenses shampoo (with conditioner in it) and liquid bath soap.

I happen to really dislike the scent -- supposedly a high-end spa product that has eucalyptus in it. To me it smells medicinal, antiseptic. Next time I'll bring my own products. If you're fussy, you may want to do the same.

I don't know what you mean by "well stocked" library -- one person's "well stocked" is another persons "vast wasteland"... there were lots of books in there, some I was surprised to see (like sets of encyclopedias?)...but it's likely you'll find something to read.

When we were on the Jewel in October, there was at least one channel on the TV that had movies...old movies, as I remember. We don't watch movies at home, so really didn't pay much attention, but they were there, and were free. There was also one pay-per-movie channel...which again, we didn't pay any attention to.

Can't speak about the internet. We left all that at home, we're on vacation.

First, let me wish you nothing but good health from here on out. There's nothing better than a cruise for relaxation and stress relief.

I'll try to answer your questions as best I can, but I haven't recently been the Jewel, and sometimes things differ from ship to ship:

NCL is switching from Coke to Pepsi, but even if the Jewel hasn't yet, they do not stock caffeine free diet cola. Yes, you are permitted to bring your own aboard, so by all means do so.

The rooms are stocked with shampoo and body wash in dispensers mounted on the shower wall, but not conditioner (except in suites, which do have conditioner).

The library is OK at best. It really depends on what you are looking for. It's not a bad idea to pack a book or two of your own .

There are movies available on TV, but it appears as though NCL is in the process of eliminating free movies. On out Gem cruise a couple of weeks ago, there were no free movies, only pay per view. Don't know if this is now the case on the Jewel.

You can access the Internet from your room, but unless you are close to a wi fi hotspot in a public area, you're not likely to get a signal, and you have to bring cable to hook up your computer. Wired or wireless, you still have to buy Internet time from the ship, which is available in both packages of bundled minutes and on a per minute of use basis. I don't know if "loaner" laptops are available.

Enjoy your cruise!

Congratluations of having your chemo behind you. You deserve a wonderful, realxing cruise.

We were just on the Jewel last week. There was no pay-per-view movie channel. There were 3 movie channels - 1 with oldies and 2 with more recent movies (I hope I never see Nick & Nora's Infinite Playlist again-my DD drove me crazy watching it over & over). There were also a couple news channels and at least one sport channel.

We didn't get one, but according to what I read, you could get a loaner laptop if you purchased an internet package. Don't know how many are available.

The library offers an eclectic assortment of books. There is a book exchange so if you bring a few with you, hopefully you could trade yours in for something else after you read them.

Have a wonderful cruise.

I brought my laptop on the trans atlantic Jewel last fall and the internet cafe was very helpful in supplying me with an ethernet cord so that I was able to easily log onto the internet from my cabin. They DO have loaner laptops, but if you have email addresses and such in your own, it is usually more useful than one of theirs. I was also able to talk to those at home using a headset and one of the messenger services with voice.

None of the internet is fast or inexpensive.

There were enough books (fiction and non) in the library that I never had a problem finding something of interest (was on a Michael Crichton kick at the time).

As of last fall there were movies for no cost on two of the inhouse tv channels, but as has been mentioned, this may no longer be the case.

Smooth sailing, ls340532. You deserve it!

DT

Is..... congrats on finishing your chemo!!!

I had a course of chemo 11 years ago.... and then went on my first cruise, which was a Nile cruise in Egypt!!

My husband and I will be on the same cruise as you..... only 2 weeks to go..... wooohooo!!!!!!

Have you signed on the roll call?? it seems like there are a lot of very nice people going on this cruise... got all sorts of stuff organised.

Hope you have a great cruise.... maybe we'll meet on board!!

Sue and Michael.

I have just completed a regimen of chemotherapy ....

Boy will my wife want to have a conversation with you!

She just completed a years battle with breast cancer treatment this last November and is currently attending school to complete her training in nutrition. She is intending to focus a large portion of her career on post treatment cancer patients. She has been into nutrition for many year since her mother passed away from breast cancer 9 years ago.

She about blew a gasket when I told her about your desire to drink Coca-Cola product after going through treatment yourself... chemicals, artificial sweetners, and food coloring, ugh!!!

Anyway, you both will have something in common... a well deserved and needed chance to relax and forget about everything you've been through!!

BTW... my wife just got her first post treatment haircut!!

if you are at all sensitive after your treatment, I would suggest bringing your own soap, etc. We do all the time anyways just be like what we like.

As to laptop, anything they loan you will ONLY give you internet access. You will have little if any access to anything else. Also, all ships have an internet cafe and you can use their computers just as easy.

See notes in link below.

Thanks to all of you for the wealth of information! I am getting more excited by the hour.

Sue and Michael, I followed the thread as the roll call was forming, but decided against joining since I am still being careful about being in large crowds in closed spaces. I was impressed by how nice the people going on our cruise seem to be. I would love to meet you on board if we get a chance. If you care to email me I can give you our room number or we can make some kind of arragements (ls340532@yahoo.com).

Greg and Didi, I laughed when I heard of your shock at my swilling down those chemical-filled diet cokes. Actually after the restrictions of the last few months, what I really crave are the things I've been denied -- fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, yogurt, etc. I was amazed to find those on the no-no list while I was allowed things like chocolate and diet coke to my heart's content and personal tolerance! One night I even dreamed that I packed a whole suitcase full of apples for the cruise.

Congratulations on the first haircut. I'm told that my hair should start to grow while I'm on the cruise. Now that excited me.

Thanks again to all for the information.

Linda

Greg and Didi, I laughed when I heard of your shock at my swilling down those chemical-filled diet cokes. Actually after the restrictions of the last few months, what I really crave are the things I've been denied -- fresh fruits, fresh vegetables, yogurt, etc. I was amazed to find those on the no-no list while I was allowed things like chocolate and diet coke to my heart's content and personal tolerance! One night I even dreamed that I packed a whole suitcase full of apples for the cruise.

Congratulations on the first haircut. I'm told that my hair should start to grow while I'm on the cruise. Now that excited me.

Thanks again to all for the information.

Linda

You've got to be kidding? Who was your oncologist that they had fresh fruits, vegetables, yogurt, etc. on any kind of no-no list?

I could see where they might want you to limit your intake of certain fruits because of the sugar. But vegetables and yogurt should have been mainstays of your diet as long as you could stomach them... especially for essential vitamins and protien. Dark chocolate, not milk chocolate, is understandable because it's typically lower in sugar and has anti-oxidants.

You and Didi definitely need to get together for a chat.

BTW... We were traveling back to Zion, IL from CA so Didi could go to the Cancer Treatment Centers of America. We didn't find a single doctor here in the San Francisco Bay Area that we trusted!! But the CTCA was amazing!!!!!!!!!!

You've got to be kidding? Who was your oncologist that they had fresh fruits, vegetables, yogurt, etc. on any kind of no-no list?

I could see where they might want you to limit your intake of certain fruits because of the sugar. But vegetables and yogurt should have been mainstays of your diet as long as you could stomach them... especially for essential vitamins and protien. Dark chocolate, not milk chocolate, is understandable because it's typically lower in sugar and has anti-oxidants.

I have a dear friend who had breast CA and then chemo induced myleodysplastic syndrome and had to have bone marrow transplant. Was not allowed to have fresh fruits or veggies of any kind for a certain period of time. Evidently, it is because of the bacteria and with a suppressed immune system, could endanger patient's life. Canned fruits and veggies were fine. She loves a certain type of hamburger, but would not eat it until she knew she could have the lettuce, tomato and onion on it.

The potential for contamination is the reason for the restrictions on fresh fruits and vegetables. Live bacteria is the problem with yogurt. Green tea has been on the no-no list because of the quantity of antioxidants.

When I developed a slight potassium deficiency and they mentioned a supplement, I suggested bananas. The instructions they gave me to allow bananas was that someone else should first wash his hands, then wash the banana, then wash his hands again, peel the banana, and finally give it to me.

Perhaps these restrictions are related to the type of cancer. I have lymphoma which is a blood cancer. My restrictions pretty well mirrored those of someone having a stem cell transplant. I have been treated at Moffitt Cancer Center, which is a world-renowned teaching hospital. My team of doctors have impressive creds, so I listen to them with great respect.

Here's a link that might explain some of the rationale: http://www.nhlcyberfamily.org/treatments/neutropenic.htm

I do look forward to a more normal diet! I would love to learn what Didi could teach me about how to use nutrition to improve my overall health post-chemo. I've always had an interest in nutrition.

Thanks again. Good luck, Didi.

Linda

Archived