• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Someone cancelled our cruise - HELP!

When the Oasis sailings were first available, I did a bunch of research (thanks to the great posters on here!) and spent a lot of time picking out the perfect cabin for my family during 1/23/10 sailing. At that point, we were told we needed to book thru a certain national TA so we did. I called on the first day I was able to book the cabin we wanted and made my deposit. (We booked direct on previous cruises.)

I was going over last month's credit card statement and noticed I had 2 credits from RCCL totalling my deposit for this cruise. I called RCCL and was told I no longer had a reservation, as it was cancelled by my travel agent. I called TA and they had no idea what happened. They contacted RCCL and were told that someone from their office sent an e-mail to cancel the reservation. TA says this is completely outside of their process and the person who cancelled the reservation does not work for them. RCCL now says there are no cabins in the category we booked and if we still want to go, we need to make a new reservation at a much higher rate for a lesser cabin.

It has been a week now and no one is getting back to us. My husband and I have both called RCCL and TA and have been told they will get back to us. Neither company seems to know what is going on and are blaming each other.

I am very frustrated and heartbroken about losing this booking. Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas on how to handle it???

TIA!

RCCL should know who at the travel agent sent the email...ask them to produce it!

If the TA screwed up, THEY need to deal with it. IF your agent is Martha and the cruise was cancelled by Jane...then Jane is in deep doo doo...

Get a conference call with your TA and RCCL....YOU can ask RCCL to produce their evidence that the cruise was cancelled...or Martha should be able to......the email will have the senders' name.....

You need to ask RCI to email you a copy of the cancellation email so that you have a copy of it; don't trust the TA to let you have a copy (it may mysteriously get "lost").

Keep badgering RCI until you have the email. At that point, get on to the TA's head office with a STRONGLY worded letter that as they cancelled your cruise without your permission, and that because of that, there are now no cabins of that level still available, that they have a moral duty to re-book you onto the cruise, and if the only cabin of equal or higher grade they can book is more expensive, then they should pay the difference in cost.

If you get obstructed by anyone, just ask to speak to their supervisor and work your way up the ladder. The bottom line is, it's somebody's fault and it isn't yours. You had a holiday all booked and you had paid the deposit and now you have no holiday.

Keep calm and keep repeating the base facts, all the way up the ladder until they listen to you.

We had a similar thing happen to us, but we kept (calmly but assertively) badgering the TA and eventually it was sorted.

Wishing you lots of luck but you are in the right here. Keep us posted!

When you make a reservation with any TA, they OWN the reservation.

They are the only ones who can make any changes. Since the change came from their office, they have to fix it. They are a BIG company and they should have no trouble covering any increased fares for your category, or at least give you an upgrade!

Do not let them get away with this, keep going up the ladder until you have your reservation back at the rate you were original quoted and were booked with.....GET EVERYTHING IN WRITING!!!!!

Good luck and keep us posted.

When Iv had to go up the ladder, I find it helps to ask, what was your name again?? Could you spell it so I know I have it right? And write down the name of everyone you talk to. If that person can't help, then I ask, can I speak to your supervisor and insist. .... as they said above, keep going up the ladder.

Since you have enough time before the actual cruise they should be able to correct this. The TA should be involved if they want your repeat busy. If it were me I have no problem calling on a daily or weekly basis to get more info and to get this so called "cancellation email".

So basically if I want to cancel my cruise I can just email them and they will accept that. Yeah Right.

When the Oasis sailings were first available, I did a bunch of research (thanks to the great posters on here!) and spent a lot of time picking out the perfect cabin for my family during 1/23/10 sailing. At that point, we were told we needed to book thru a certain national TA so we did. I called on the first day I was able to book the cabin we wanted and made my deposit. (We booked direct on previous cruises.)

I was going over last month's credit card statement and noticed I had 2 credits from RCCL totalling my deposit for this cruise. I called RCCL and was told I no longer had a reservation, as it was cancelled by my travel agent. I called TA and they had no idea what happened. They contacted RCCL and were told that someone from their office sent an e-mail to cancel the reservation. TA says this is completely outside of their process and the person who cancelled the reservation does not work for them. RCCL now says there are no cabins in the category we booked and if we still want to go, we need to make a new reservation at a much higher rate for a lesser cabin.

It has been a week now and no one is getting back to us. My husband and I have both called RCCL and TA and have been told they will get back to us. Neither company seems to know what is going on and are blaming each other.

I am very frustrated and heartbroken about losing this booking. Has anyone else had this happen? Any ideas on how to handle it???

TIA!

The investigator in me has a question. I was just wondering if the new occupants of the cabin you had booked are clients of the same travel agency that you made the booking with?

It would be very interesting if the new occupants of that cabin were booked through the same agency that canceled your reservation.

I called TA and they had no idea what happened. They contacted RCCL and were told that someone from their office sent an e-mail to cancel the reservation. TA says this is completely outside of their process and the person who cancelled the reservation does not work for them. TIA!

What a stupid answer. If the person who canceled your reservation does not work for the agency, then how did they have knowledge and access to your reservation?

I wonder if this is a case of people with similar names and either the TA of the couple who wanted to cancel, made a mistake with the name in their email or Royal Caribbean cancelled the wrong reservation?

Anyway I really hope it gets straightened out to your benefit.

As a fellow Atlanta area cruiser, I hope things get resolved in your favor. I had a similiar experience where a TA quoted me a lower fare that I booked. The agency came back and said "I was mistaken". I fought till they listened to the recording of our conversation, then came back with a "compromise deal" that I took.

Be as tenacious as a UGA Bulldog, "Grab it and Growl"! OR "Buzz" them every chance you get! We "GRITS" have to stick together!

Keep us up to date!

Jacquelyn :D

TIA!

I am not convinced that the TA canx the cruise at all..We just came off Monarch of the Seas. Last May, 11 months ago I booked 2 adj cabins for myself, DH and DD. On Wed I printed our set sail passes which showed our 2 adj cabin numbers. We boarded on Monday (a mere 5 days later) we were given keys to only 1 room. When I asked for a key to the other cabin I was told we were not in the other cabin and we were told to speak to guest relations on board. Somehow our adj cabin had been canx and my DH & DD were moved into the cabin with me (I had paid the single rate) The best part was the cabin I had only accomodated 2 people! I had only used Royal Carribean Vacation planners so they cannot blame my TA. Since they had sold our adj cabin the ONLY thing they could do was put me and DD in another stateroom on a different deck! So much for our family vacation. I just returned home yesterday but I fully intend to contact them and find out who made this switch to our reservation!

So you see I beleive that it most possibly could have been Royal Carribean that canx it and not your TA! Best of luck!! I am a Diamond member but after this I do not have any intentions of entrusting them with my family vacation plans. I hope other cruise lines are not this careless!

I agree with most that you need to contact the TA and keep a log of who you talk to and when and what they say and then get a time line of when they are getting back to you and they are responsible for the cancellation if it was a mistake and need to make it right since you have a cc statement showing original charge. Do you have your original confirmation from the TA? RCCL has record of everyone who calls in to access a booking.

Good luck.

megr1125 & spanner14 & tlbuckingham - Great idea! I never thought to ask for the mystery e-mail. Thanks! The manager I spoke to today at the TA said they had asked for it and it was not furnished by RCCL. That would surely show what happened. I will keep requesting it from both of them.

royalcruz & ziggypup - I had the same concern. I asked RCCL when my cabin was booked and if it was by the same TA. They told me they could not tell me that information. I understand why they would not tell me but I was hoping it might make them look twice at it.

brfan - The TA rep my husband spoke to yesterday basically said she thought it was the wrong confirmation number sent in the email. Sounds very strange to me...

ziggypup - Hubby joked tonight that we should call and say we want to cancel reservations and give bogus conf #s and see what happens...LOL! I would think you would need the name, sailing, and conf #. If I believed what I was told recently, that is not the case.

Diamond Cruisers in Arizona & firefly333 - Thanks!

Jacquelyn11 - How did you record the conversation? Were you happy with the compromise?

CAT GIRL - When I spoke to RCCL earlier this week, the best they could offer was a cabin several categories below what I had booked for $1200 more. I am amazed at how much higher the fares are now!

Thanks to all of your for your input! Hubby and I are determined to fight this until we have a satisfactory resolution! Thankfully we have a lot of time to make it happen. I am just thankful that I started looking at my credit card statements recently! ;-)

I am not convinced that the TA canx the cruise at all..We just came off Monarch of the Seas. Last May, 11 months ago I booked 2 adj cabins for myself, DH and DD. On Wed I printed our set sail passes which showed our 2 adj cabin numbers. We boarded on Monday (a mere 5 days later) we were given keys to only 1 room. When I asked for a key to the other cabin I was told we were not in the other cabin and we were told to speak to guest relations on board. Somehow our adj cabin had been canx and my DH & DD were moved into the cabin with me (I had paid the single rate) The best part was the cabin I had only accomodated 2 people! I had only used Royal Carribean Vacation planners so they cannot blame my TA. Since they had sold our adj cabin the ONLY thing they could do was put me and DD in another stateroom on a different deck! So much for our family vacation. I just returned home yesterday but I fully intend to contact them and find out who made this switch to our reservation!

So you see I beleive that it most possibly could have been Royal Carribean that canx it and not your TA! Best of luck!! I am a Diamond member but after this I do not have any intentions of entrusting them with my family vacation plans. I hope other cruise lines are not this careless!

That sounds like it should be impossible! Did they give you a refund for the reservation that was cancelled?? They clearly owe you money if they did not and a generous credit for your next sailing for the inconvenience! If you had wanted three in a cabin you would have booked it that way instead of paying a single rate.

cruz1234 - That is crazy! I feel so bad for you!

GlitterGirlFL - Oh yeah, I have everything - the paperwork the TA sent me, the credit card charge and credit, etc.

I am now keeping a log too. Thanks to everyone for that suggestion!

megr1125 & spanner14 & tlbuckingham - Great idea! I never thought to ask for the mystery e-mail. Thanks! The manager I spoke to today at the TA said they had asked for it and it was not furnished by RCCL. That would surely show what happened. I will keep requesting it from both of them.

if the manager asked for an email from RCCL supposedly sent from another TA in the office, i would think RCCL would have to provide it as proof....a little muscle from the agency's legal eagles should help!

any time i, or when i use a TA-she, contacts RCCL they ask for booking, names of pax, ship and sail date to confirm everything...

i'm thinking maybe RCI fouled up -even tho my TA goofed up our OBC.......

let us know what happens.......good luck

if the manager asked for an email from RCCL supposedly sent from another TA in the office, i would think RCCL would have to provide it as proof....a little muscle from the agency's legal eagles should help!

any time i, or when i use a TA-she, contacts RCCL they ask for booking, names of pax, ship and sail date to confirm everything...

i'm thinking maybe RCI fouled up -even tho my TA goofed up our OBC.......

let us know what happens.......good luck

I personally think this would be hard to goof up. I say that because you are dealing with reservation numbers rather than the persons name. Once the reservation number is given, then they would ask for your name to make sure.

Maybe we will she this on the People's Court or Judge Judy...............LOL

As a fellow Atlanta area cruiser, I hope things get resolved in your favor. I had a similiar experience where a TA quoted me a lower fare that I booked. The agency came back and said "I was mistaken". I fought till they listened to the recording of our conversation, then came back with a "compromise deal" that I took.

Be as tenacious as a UGA Bulldog, "Grab it and Growl"! OR "Buzz" them every chance you get! We "GRITS" have to stick together!

Keep us up to date!

Jacquelyn :D

I agree! We had a TA that quoted us a price to upgrade to a balcony cabin. We paid it, had it in writing.....and then they said, "Oops! We goofed...you owe this much"

We ended up having an administrative meeting at the agency, where they agreed to take the loss and we worked out a compromise deal. Travel agencies have "Errors & Omissions" insurance which should cover mistakes by the agency. Good luck with getting a copy of the email, that might be a little difficult. Please do fight for it, and I would also notify higher management at the crruise line, if necessary.

TIA!

I hope you are able to get this sorted ASAP and get the help and support you deserve.

Oh Boy.....There is NO WAY I would have accepted this. You had the set sail pass and had paid for 2 rooms and they just put you all in one room? I do not understand how they could do something like that? Who was in your other room?

Archived