Bannister Island Safety

Goingaway

I was really wanting to go to Bannister Island from our cruise in 2 weeks, but was concerned about the safety after the news of the recent murder. I did e-mail them at the Island with my concerns and I thought I would post this for anyone else who would like to visit the island but is feeling the same concern as I had. I just copied the reply they sent and will paste it below.

Tho very tragic, This incident happened about 1:00 am in the morning after the first week of spring break. Apparently this was a robbery by someone who knew that there was a lot of cash on the Island. We closed for two weeks out of respect and to implement many safeguards to insure that nothing like this ever happens again. We have armed guards on the Island both day and night. We are always taking receipts off of Bannister and to a night deposit at the bank on the mainland daily. We will be changing to credit or debit cards only, starting initially after the peak season is up this year. This will prevent another robbery and also remove any temptation (to steal) from the employees also. We hope to see you on our Island and for you to know that it is a safe and wonderful place to visit once again.

Sincerely,

Joseph Ott

Director

Bannister Island Resort

Office:220-9969

Cell. 661-7252

The above is the reply from the director. I do plan on going now to the Island if the weather turns out nice. I will post my experience when I get back.

Sure hope the other cruise lines including Carnival read this and put this back on their excursion lists. Not sure how the credit/debit card only policy would work out. I myself prefer not to use these on excursions.

Ya, I'm hoping Carnival takes this excursion back on too - it would be nice to just tender from the boat to the island. I did contact people at Eco tours and they said we can just come to their booth at the port and book the excursion that day if we'd like.

Was on Bannister island last Wednesday with the Carnival Valor - took a private tour through Eco - beautiful place and felt completely safe. Only felt sad for the circumstances. I wouldn't be concerned at all.

How did you like dealing with Eco Tours, thats who we plan on using and wanted some feedback about how they were to deal with?

Archived