• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Mexican Riviera as Cruisedestination with Kids

dreadlockjack

Hi!

Sorry to ask these questions, but as european, I do not know anything about this region. We are infected by the cruise-virus since two years - it's our ideal family vacation....

We saw some nice cruises for the mexican riviera with the following stops: Cabo San Lucas, Mazatlan, Puerto Vallarta, Acapulco, Ixtapa (Zihuatanejo), Manzanillo

• Is this something for a family with a 5 yr old boy?
  • We used to do excursions on our own spontanously with a hired driver - can one do that at these stops?
  • Is the region safe?
  • Is the region up-to-date with western standarts?

Thanks for the help and best regards from europe!

DJ

As you can see we are from The Netherlands and at the moment staying during winter in Puerto vallarta.

You donot say what time of the year you want to sail.

The best is wintertime, nice and sunny. Only the 1st and last seaday can be chilly. Check http://www.wunderground.com for all details.

Sommer is very hot and often humid with a small chance of hurricane.

Yes it is safe as long as you use your commonsense like anywhere in the world. You can pre-arrange private drivers or book excursions.

In the ports you visit you will find western-standards and in restaurants etc. ice is made from purified water. Maybe roads are not always paved and sometimes dusty.

Although in Europe things are more "organised" part of the charm of Mexico is that not all might go the way you want.

But you will find shops like Walmart, nice shopping areas etc.

I've taken the Mexican Riviera cruise twice in the past 10 months (once with my hubby and once with my three kids ages 10, 6, and 3). I love the ports but the actual sailing out and back can be downright windy cold and miserable. The most recent sailing we went on with the kids was with Royal Caribbean and it was so nice being on such a kid friendly ship. My younger two loved the kids programs that were offered and my 6 year old looked forward to participating more than the rest. The ports are incredibly safe and very kid friendly. In Cabo, we took a glass bottom water taxi to Lover's beach and played in the sand for a bit. There are lots of people wanting to put lizards on everyone's heads and on their shoulders. Mazatlan is so laid back when you take the small ferry to Stone Island. I took the kids on a horseback ride for $5 for a half an hour. They played on the beach and we stayed at Victor's all day. Puerto Vallarta is my favorite stop. My older son and husband did the zipline through Los Veranos and my younger two and I did the dolphin swim at Sea Life park. They loved Sea Life park and the very kid friendly water slides. Even for non-swimmers like they are, it was the PERFECT day! good lucK!

Any idea on what the weather will be like the second week of December in the Mexican Rivera? :)Can we assume the ports will be nice but the sea days chilly? Like how chilly? Shorts weather still or long Johns? Maybe the sea days would just be nice days to chill out with a good book or partake in more ship activities rather than having to work on my tan!

I've taken the Mexican Riviera cruise twice in the past 10 months (once with my hubby and once with my three kids ages 10, 6, and 3). I love the ports but the actual sailing out and back can be downright windy cold and miserable. The most recent sailing we went on with the kids was with Royal Caribbean and it was so nice being on such a kid friendly ship. My younger two loved the kids programs that were offered and my 6 year old looked forward to participating more than the rest. The ports are incredibly safe and very kid friendly. In Cabo, we took a glass bottom water taxi to Lover's beach and played in the sand for a bit. There are lots of people wanting to put lizards on everyone's heads and on their shoulders. Mazatlan is so laid back when you take the small ferry to Stone Island. I took the kids on a horseback ride for $5 for a half an hour. They played on the beach and we stayed at Victor's all day. Puerto Vallarta is my favorite stop. My older son and husband did the zipline through Los Veranos and my younger two and I did the dolphin swim at Sea Life park. They loved Sea Life park and the very kid friendly water slides. Even for non-swimmers like they are, it was the PERFECT day! good lucK!

Anything north of Cabo will be chilly to cool.

Be prepared to possibly wear longpants the 1st and last seaday.

After that the weather will get nice and warm(er) enough for shorts.

Check http://www.wunderground.com that gives lots of details about the weather in the past.

Archived