• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Carnival Legend Passport Policy

I have kept my passport on every cruise.

Yes, your DL should be sufficient ID, and at some ports they ask for it and some they don't. I carry a copy of the photo/info page on my passport on the islands as well (not the original).

ENJOY

1. Do I need to surrender my passport to the cruise when I am onboard? I hope not....

2. When we arrive at the ports of call, may I use driver's license instead of passport? It must be bulking when you snorkel!

Thanks for any info!

The last three cruises that I took they never held our passports. But it is a good idea to carry it with you just incase, since you aren't in the US.

1. Do I need to surrender my passport to the cruise when I am onboard? I hope not....

2. When we arrive at the ports of call, may I use driver's license instead of passport? It must be bulking when you snorkel!

Thanks for any info!

You will not need to surrender your passport.

When departing the ship in a port, tqake your S&S Card and a Photo ID (Drivers License) with you. The ship will require your S&S Card to re-board; some port facilities require Photo ID to re-enter the Port Facility.

some will advise to take your passport, as you would need this if for any reason you needed to fly out of the port/country to catch the ship after missing it or to return Home for emergency; having your passport in hand would facilitate this.

ken

Thanks for any info!

We have never had to surrender our passports on any Caribbean or Mexican cruise, on several different lines.

It is my understanding that this practice is not a cruise line policy. In some itineraries, particularly in Europe and the Mediterranean, the countries that the ship visits insist that all passports be given to the customs/immigration officials, en masse. IOW, it is the host country, not the cruise line that sets this policy.

AFAIK, no Caribbean countries even ask to see Americans' passports, let alone having them checked all at once. Nor does Mexico. Heck, you don't even need to HAVE a passport in the Caribbean or Mexico.

As far as taking it ashore, it is up to you. The ship will only require your S & S card to reboard. In some places, the local authorities ask for a photo ID (DL is good) to enter the pier area. I like to take our passports, in case we miss the ship and need to fly home or to the next port to catch up to the ship.

Paul

Archived