• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Where to Rent a Medical Fridge? (Miami Port, Carnival Line)

Quampapetet

Hi, Carnival is saying they don't have in-room medical refrigerators for people with special needs. The in-room mini bar coolers will not be cold enough for my needs (I need regular fridge temp. to make and keep my disability-required drink very cold and keep my service dog's canned meat food from spoiling). It is not reasonable for me (due to mobility and energy issues) to harness up (and undress upon return to the room) my dog and travel the ship once to twice a day (twice every other day) just to pick up and drop off my items at their community fridges. Nor would I trust my items there. (I get very ill without my drink and would be unable to leave my room for at least a day, if not several, if somebody stole one. I also need it for other reasons. And, of course, I wouldn't want anybody tampering with my dog's opened can of food.)

So, does anybody know of a company in the Port of Miami area that rents medical fridges to cruisers and will bring it to the ship? I'd prefer very cheap in price, of course, as this trip is already costing me a bundle! ;)

Hi,

I had a look at Care Vacations website and also Special Needs At Sea but couldn't actually see any information on renting mini medical grade refrigerators - but that's not to say they don't, so it may be worth phoning them.

I wouldn't worry too much about your service dog's canned food though, that shouldn't spoil in a room cooler. Do you have lids for the cans of half eaten food? I find that makes a big difference to how well dog food keeps. With a lid, the dog food should be fine in the cooler that's already in the room.

If your drink needs to be made or stored at a certain temperature then obviously that's another matter. If you can't rent one, I would think that the ship's medical centre has a fridge specifically for storing meds so that should certainly be cold enough (and nobody's likely to steal from that!). I know you'd have to go and get your drink from there at an appointed time but it may be better than nothing.

Good luck,

Spanner

Hi, Carnival is saying they don't have in-room medical refrigerators for people with special needs. The in-room mini bar coolers will not be cold enough for my needs (I need regular fridge temp. to make and keep my disability-required drink very cold and keep my service dog's canned meat food from spoiling). It is not reasonable for me (due to mobility and energy issues) to harness up (and undress upon return to the room) my dog and travel the ship once to twice a day (twice every other day) just to pick up and drop off my items at their community fridges. Nor would I trust my items there. (I get very ill without my drink and would be unable to leave my room for at least a day, if not several, if somebody stole one. I also need it for other reasons. And, of course, I wouldn't want anybody tampering with my dog's opened can of food.)

So, does anybody know of a company in the Port of Miami area that rents medical fridges to cruisers and will bring it to the ship? I'd prefer very cheap in price, of course, as this trip is already costing me a bundle! ;)

If you are leaving your medically necessary drink and dog food in a restricted area -- I really doubt that anyone would "tamper" with it.

You know how much of both you need every day. Take one of those collapsible coolers with you, have your room steward keep it full of ice, and keep a couple days supply of both in your cabin, if you can't go once a day, or once every couple of days, to the medical department where I suspect the refrigerator you would be using would be housed. The ice would keep it sufficiently cold. The collapsible coolers are small enough that you can keep the food in them and in the cooler in your room, where it certainly will keep cold enough.

With a little bit of planning ahead, you shouldn't have to dress/undress, hook/unhook your dog to get it. You should be out of your cabin at least part of each day, and you just go by the infirmary and get it then.

Hi,

I had a look at Care Vacations website and also Special Needs At Sea but couldn't actually see any information on renting mini medical grade refrigerators - but that's not to say they don't, so it may be worth phoning them.

Thanks for looking. I'll have to call them closer to the cruise (early 2010) to see if they have fridges or know of anybody who does.

I wouldn't worry too much about your service dog's canned food though, that shouldn't spoil in a room cooler. Do you have lids for the cans of half eaten food? I find that makes a big difference to how well dog food keeps. With a lid, the dog food should be fine in the cooler that's already in the room.

Yup, I love those lids the pet stores sell! Very handy. :) I don't know if I'd trust meat and fish at cooler temperature for a whole day, though. (She gets dry food at night, so the cans are only for the mornings.) The cooler fridge on Royal Caribbean last year wasn't very cold at all. It is a high-quality all-natural food (a few ingredients, which you can see all of just like one of your own meals, plus vitamins/minerals) made in the same factory that makes human foods, so it is the same as putting your cruise dinner in the cooler and then eating it the next night at dinner.

If your drink needs to be made or stored at a certain temperature then obviously that's another matter. If you can't rent one, I would think that the ship's medical centre has a fridge specifically for storing meds so that should certainly be cold enough (and nobody's likely to steal from that!). I know you'd have to go and get your drink from there at an appointed time but it may be better than nothing.

It has to chill at least overnight in a regular temp. fridge. I don't know about a medical center fridge, but the Carnival person told me about the one at the main desk or wherever. From what I read, it sounds like it is some sort of public fridge. I'm not sure why they don't just have a few fridges on hand like Royal Caribbean does and like hotels do.

If you are leaving your medically necessary drink and dog food in a restricted area -- I really doubt that anyone would "tamper" with it.

You know how much of both you need every day. Take one of those collapsible coolers with you, have your room steward keep it full of ice, and keep a couple days supply of both in your cabin, if you can't go once a day, or once every couple of days, to the medical department where I suspect the refrigerator you would be using would be housed. The ice would keep it sufficiently cold. The collapsible coolers are small enough that you can keep the food in them and in the cooler in your room, where it certainly will keep cold enough.

With a little bit of planning ahead, you shouldn't have to dress/undress, hook/unhook your dog to get it. You should be out of your cabin at least part of each day, and you just go by the infirmary and get it then.

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure how cold they would stay that way though?

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure how cold they would stay that way though?

There aren't public fridges on the cruise ships. The reason you'd be taking it to the main desk is so that staff will put it away in a refrigerator for you. When I was on a Carnival cruise a couple of years ago I had medicine that needed to be refrigerated, and was told to take it...and get it..from the infirmary.

Food kept in a freezer bag full of ice will keep at or near the same temperature as the ice. Water turns to ice at 32 degrees F. The food and drink would be at or near 32 degrees.

When I was on the Carnival Pride last year, I went to put some things in the fridge and thought to myself, this is not really that cold, so I told the Steward about it. He got someone from maintainence to come in and check it, well they put a new one in. He told me that if more passengers would let them know that they are not cold enough then they do not know which ones need to be replaced. Also there is a knob in the back that you can make them colder.

Hi!

My mom is diabetic, and my son has seizures. We both have requested small refrigerators from Carnival (like the apt sized ones) for our meds and had them delivered to our rooms.

Did you speak to the special needs department? We did the request directly through them, then once onboard, spoke to our cabin steward.

Last year, we had one for each of our rooms. This year, we had adjoining cabins, so just used one. I think the cabin steward had to put a request in to ship maintenance, and he was so apologetic that it was not in Mom's room when we got there.

You can also request a frig from the purser's desk, they will make sure you have one in your room.

Happy travels!

~Tamara

Hi, Carnival is saying they don't have in-room medical refrigerators for people with special needs. The in-room mini bar coolers will not be cold enough for my needs (I need regular fridge temp. to make and keep my disability-required drink very cold and keep my service dog's canned meat food from spoiling).

Did the ship you were on have mini-bar fridges in every room? Or was it one of the ones without mini-bar fridges (which are really coolers - not cold enough, as they don't get to fridge temp.)? I'm on a ship with mini-bar fridges in each room, but I know those aren't cold enough for my needs (the Royal Caribbean cruise I was on had one of those in the room and I took some waters from there - they were definitely not as cold as my drink needs to get).

I did e-mail Carnival's special needs and they told me if the coolers aren't cold enough, to use the public fridge.

Did the ship you were on have mini-bar fridges in every room? Or was it one of the ones without mini-bar fridges (which are really coolers - not cold enough, as they don't get to fridge temp.)? I'm on a ship with mini-bar fridges in each room, but I know those aren't cold enough for my needs (the Royal Caribbean cruise I was on had one of those in the room and I took some waters from there - they were definitely not as cold as my drink needs to get).

I did e-mail Carnival's special needs and they told me if the coolers aren't cold enough, to use the public fridge.

Again, there is no "public" fridge. There is a refrigerator for staff use, and medical use, where the staff will store things for you, but the general public does not have access to it.

Archived