Change to Early Saver Program

LorrieB

I just called Carnival and spoke with a CVS. He said that enough people have complained about the following rule:

• Does Early Saver follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

The deposit and payment terms are the same. However, Early Saver reservations require a full non-refundable deposit per person.

So, the way the rule used to be is that if you booked a cruise for more than just you and you paid for the cruise, the person who cancelled or changed would get the benefit of the remaining deposit towards another cruise after the $50 change fee.

Now, due to overwhelming complaints, Carnival is saying that if one person books more than one person on a cruise and one of the others have to cancel the cruise, instead of only the person who cancelled getting the remaining deposit, the person who booked can name the person who will have the deposit credited to a future cruise after an additional $50 fee.

Example: Joe booked and paid the $200 deposit for eight people on a 5-day cruise. Betty is cancelling. Instead of Betty having the remaining $150 (minus the $50 cancellation fee) towards a future cruise, Joe, after an additional $50 fee, will now have the ability to say who this credit goes towards. So, Joe will be able to apply this credit (which he originally paid) to a future cruise he himself takes (within the next 12 months).

Before this policy change, Betty would be the only person who could use that credit, whether she paid it or not.

It costs an additional $50 to be able to use the credit but at least you don't lose the money.

GOOD DECISION CARNIVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I just called Carnival and spoke with a CVS. He said that enough people have complained about the following rule:

• Does Early Saver follow Carnival’s standard deposit, payment and cancellation terms?

The deposit and payment terms are the same. However, Early Saver reservations require a full non-refundable deposit per person.

So, the way the rule used to be is that if you booked a cruise for more than just you and you paid for the cruise, the person who cancelled or changed would get the benefit of the remaining deposit towards another cruise after the $50 change fee.

Now, due to overwhelming complaints, Carnival is saying that if one person books more than one person on a cruise and one of the others have to cancel the cruise, instead of only the person who cancelled getting the remaining deposit, the person who booked can name the person who will have the deposit credited to a future cruise after an additional $50 fee.

Example: Joe booked and paid the $200 deposit for eight people on a 5-day cruise. Betty is cancelling. Instead of Betty having the remaining $150 (minus the $50 cancellation fee) towards a future cruise, Joe, after an additional $50 fee, will now have the ability to say who this credit goes towards. So, Joe will be able to apply this credit (which he originally paid) to a future cruise he himself takes (within the next 12 months).

Before this policy change, Betty would be the only person who could use that credit, whether she paid it or not.

It costs an additional $50 to be able to use the credit but at least you don't lose the money.

GOOD DECISION CARNIVAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lorri, Thank you. I found this a little upsetting too.

I booked Early Saver Program and saved $900. I also booked my dd's two friends and paying for them. If, for some crazy reason, one wasn't going to be able to attend, in the past the friend would get the "credit for deposit" not me, and I am the one that paid!!

So, although I didn't call and complain, I am glad it has been changed.

Thank you for the update.

I agree, the person who paid the deposit should have the say over it's disposition. Carnival, if sued, couldn't of justified their former policy anyway. Would of lost the issue in a heartbeat.

The way the policy was is no different than the rules covering most airfare. Someone cancels a flight and only the person who cancels gets a credit (less penalty fee) to be used at a future date. Doesn't matter who paid for it.

I wonder if there is also a time limit for Carnival's "credit" if you cancel an early saver.

I think you have a year to use the credit or you lose it. With the new change there is a $50 cancellation fee then you have to pay another $50 on top of that to use for yourself or someone other than the person named on the deposit? You'd lose $100 with the cancellation? Just trying to make sure I'm reading it right.

I agree, the person who paid the deposit should have the say over it's disposition. Carnival, if sued, couldn't of justified their former policy anyway. Would of lost the issue in a heartbeat.

Not true. Carnival would not be required to justify their policy. It's their policy clearly stated, giving you the option of taking or leaving it. Customer complaints are what lead to this change. I'll believe it wheni see it in writing.

Archived