Howard Johnsons in Old San Juan

bike1964

Apparently, from readings on another post or from a website, the elevator was kept original with all updated inerds..ha ha for the sole reason of its uniqueness. It is abit slow but the ride is something you dont experience anymore in the more modern day. The hotel is old, but is just beautiful. Look into the pictures. I am staying this fall prior to my cruise. I am glad that they kept the original. That is wonderful. Its purpose is for the memory of the hotel and grabs your attention.

We have this HoJo booked for our pre-cruise stay in October. I was able to get a rate of $120 after taxes per night (king w/ balcony) using AAA discount and pre-paying. The next best rate I could find was at the Hampton Inn in Isla Verde for about $133 post tax.

Has anyone researched what stores (i.e. drugs store or grocery) are fairly close to the HoJo? When traveling by plan I prefer to buy my liquid toiletries once I get to my destination to save on luggage weight, space and possible spills. I'm thinking that those type of stores are not likely in OSJ and I'll need to take cab elsewhere, but maybe I assume too much?

**this is my first posting....hello!!

We have this HoJo booked for our pre-cruise stay in October. I was able to get a rate of $120 after taxes per night (king w/ balcony) using AAA discount and pre-paying. The next best rate I could find was at the Hampton Inn in Isla Verde for about $133 post tax.

Has anyone researched what stores (i.e. drugs store or grocery) are fairly close to the HoJo? When traveling by plan I prefer to buy my liquid toiletries once I get to my destination to save on luggage weight, space and possible spills. I'm thinking that those type of stores are not likely in OSJ and I'll need to take cab elsewhere, but maybe I assume too much?

**this is my first posting....hello!!

It's my understanding that there's a Walgreen's right on the square at Plaza de Armas, less than a block from the HoJo.

San Juan is a city that is over 500 years old.

I know. I've been there. It's a beautiful place. Thanks for the info. Last trip there we stayed in a Comfort Inn @ Condando Beach. It was being renovated and it was a mess.

I saw on another site that there was a Walgreen's on the corner as well but when I checked their website the closest store was in Isla Verde?? I'm sure it's something simple I'm missing....

Thanks for the info though. Now I know I won't need to pack liquid toiletries in my checked baggage and risk a spill!

• 3 weeks later...

It is a nice place and we would definitely stay there again. The elevator is definitely an experience and if you are claustrophobic, use the stairs (which aren't very wide either). It has a door that opens out and then another interior door that slides closed. It is a very slow ride, not air conditioned and is very small. DH and I with our three pieces of stacked luggage barely fit. A very unique experience. The room was clean and air conditioned. We booked a queen suite so we had a window and a balcony. My only complaint was the street noise which someone else mentioned. I was starting to think no one slept in San Juan but thankfully it started to downpour and it was blissfully quiet after that.

There is a Walgreens right across the plaza as well as a Starbucks. This came in handy as the free breakfast at HoJo was less than satisfactory. We ate dinner at Barrachina's which was literally around the corner. A little pricey but very good food.

I stayed there last year pre-cruise and loved it! We had one of the balcony rooms overlooking time square. The place is remodeled, clean and nice, but retains it's historic charm. From the outside you would barely know it's a hotel. It is in easy walking distance from just about anywhere and the trolley stops right out front.

Front of Howard Johnson's 2397075540104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

view from balcony

2577618180104390106S600x600Q85.jpg trolley 2140554170104390106S425x425Q85.jpg

I stayed there last year pre-cruise and loved it! We had one of the balcony rooms overlooking time square. The place is remodeled, clean and nice, but retains it's historic charm. From the outside you would barely know it's a hotel. It is in easy walking distance from just about anywhere and the trolley stops right out front.

Front of Howard Johnson's 2397075540104390106S600x600Q85.jpg

view from balcony

2577618180104390106S600x600Q85.jpg trolley 2140554170104390106S425x425Q85.jpg

We stayed at the HOJO last Feb pre-cruise and loved it. Location is perfect for spending the day shopping in old San Juan.

Thank you so much for posting the photos of the hotel. Brought back memories.....

• 5 months later...

Please please please don't eat at Starbucks :eek:

There is a 100+ yr old diner in Old San Juan called La Bombonera. In the morning they have hundreds of wonderful sweet breads and bakery items. They also have regular breakfast food too. Lunch and Dinner also.

We ate there our last trip (4 adults) for around $ 16.00 incl tip ;)

The mallorcas (I had hot ham and cheese with powdered sugar on top) are simply melt-in-your-mouth delicious.

They are known for their coffee which they grow on the island and brew in a contraption on the counter that looks like something out of Jules Verne. The waiters wear bow ties and the whole place is so unique and a must do.

Many locals frequent this place which is always a good sign.

You won't be sorry - La Bombonera is located at 259 Calle del San Francisco. One of the main streets in old town. Check out their reviews on Tripadvisor too .

Thankyou for your great info on La Bombaonera. My husband loves hot ham and cheese. Also, I love your life is short quote....may I also use this quote...there is alot of very good info in this...espiacially forgive quickly. A lesson myself and many need to be frequently reminded. As well as laugh uncontrollably........its amazing how a full down deep laugh can really make a person feel good and almost makes our own eyes open in surprise. So, with your permission may I also use this quote? Exceptionally good!!!!;):D:p:)

I read that the Fish and Chips on Deck 10 is out of sight. Does this place exist on the Victory? What class ship is the Victory...is it a Spirit Class Ship? I read a review that the Delis on the Spirit Class make some very good Ruebens. And Cazones at the Pizza stands. Are they also free? Or do they charge for these goodies?

Archived