• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Making Calls In Port

lostinohio

We are leaving our kids at home this time and I would like to be able to call back home and talk to them at some point. If we purchase an international calling card at Walmart can we use that while we are in Cozumel and Grand Cayman to call back home? Thanks for any responses!!

We are leaving our kids at home this time and I would like to be able to call back home and talk to them at some point. If we purchase an international calling card at Walmart can we use that while we are in Cozumel and Grand Cayman to call back home? Thanks for any responses!!

I would be hesitant to say yes. Those cards are meant to call international from the US. You might be better off buying one when you get to the port where you are going. Ask your dining staff or steward where tehy make calls home from port. they know the least expensive places to go.

Or you could get international calling/roaming added to your cell phone. Most companies will let you add it temporarily without any consequences to your contract, just be careful using it on board, and check with the company for any charges or fees so there are no surprises when you get the bill.

~Kristie

In GC I found a liquor stor that provided free internet and internet phone access.

They had the same thing in Cozumel across the street from the shopping plaza where the Carnival pier docks. It cost around $2 for 30 minute access.

Thanks for your responses. That is good to know about the calling cards not working because of the 800#. I do have international roaming on my cell, but I thought that the calling card may be cheaper. When I check my cell carrier website it states that the roaming charge for Grand Cayman is $1.99/min and for Cozumel it is $1.49/min. Underneath that it states....In this country you are required to rent a phone while roaming. I have no idea what that means, but I will call them and see what they say. I will also check with the crew members and see about the internet phone service that the above poster mentioned as well. Thanks again!

Grand Cayman has calling cards on the beach and in stores for $10 (about 11 minutes) and $20 (about 25 minutes). They work at the pay phone banks.

Cozumel has an internet cafe right across the street from the taxi bay at Puerto Maya that has VOIP phones for 40 cents a minute. They give you a phone and you take it to a lounge area.

Archived