Dollars vs Pounds

Q-step

re what happens if you have to cancel - I don't want to think about it. I am all too aware that this happens. We had to cancel one cruise last year and one this year both due to health issues so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this time. Fortunately we cancelled both before final payment was made. As it turned out we could most probably have gone but we wouldn't have had a leg to stand on if things had gone wrong as regards insurance. I'd be interested to hear if there are options.

Forgive me if l am having a senior moment here ;)

So we can purchase OBC at around $1.89 to the £. Is this the rate for pre purchase only.

Or are we likely to get this rate anyway when we settle our account at the end of the voyage.

Jackie :)

Forgive me if l am having a senior moment here ;)

So we can purchase OBC at around $1.89 to the £. Is this the rate for pre purchase only.

Or are we likely to get this rate anyway when we settle our account at the end of the voyage.

Jackie,

thank's. You've asked a question that's been puzzling me as well.

J

re what happens if you have to cancel - I don't want to think about it. I am all too aware that this happens. We had to cancel one cruise last year and one this year both due to health issues so I'm keeping my fingers crossed this time. Fortunately we cancelled both before final payment was made. As it turned out we could most probably have gone but we wouldn't have had a leg to stand on if things had gone wrong as regards insurance. I'd be interested to hear if there are options.

I asked the question because we've had to cancel a cruise for medical reasons, and I used to work in travel, so know some of the many potential problems. What I don't know is whether it would be covered by travel insurance, so if it is discovered that Cunard won't transfer it to a later cruise, perhaps a phone call to your insurer may help.

Mary

You will pay your account in USD and the amount will be converted by your card issuer at the going rate. If you paid with sterling this would be converted by Cunard at the going commercial rate (usually not as good as from your card issuer) as if you were simply changing cash at the desk.

You will certainly not get the pre purchase rate.

David

Jackie,

thank's. You've asked a question that's been puzzling me as well.

J

Well l am jolly pleased that it's not a senior moment J :rolleyes:

I may just call Cunard tomorrow and ask the very said question. Could be interesting!

You will pay your account in USD and the amount will be converted by your card issuer at the going rate. If you paid with sterling this would be converted by Cunard at the going commercial rate (usually not as good as from your card issuer) as if you were simply changing cash at the desk.

You will certainly not get the pre purchase rate.

David

Sorry David, our posts crossed on this one.

So what you are saying is.....if l pre purchase now l will get the better deal at whatever Cunard quote at the time of my call.

Oh lordy.....think it's time for a large scotch! :rolleyes:

I asked the question because we've had to cancel a cruise for medical reasons, and I used to work in travel, so know some of the many potential problems. What I don't know is whether it would be covered by travel insurance, so if it is discovered that Cunard won't transfer it to a later cruise, perhaps a phone call to your insurer may help.

Mary

Hi Mary, hope you are well.

This is a very valid point and one that could apply to us if Pa was to be taken ill, thus resulting in us not being able to travel.

Hi Mary, hope you are well.

This is a very valid point and one that could apply to us if Pa was to be taken ill, thus resulting in us not being able to travel.

Fine thank you Jackie, and trust that you and your father are well. Our holidays are also dependent upon the health of various relations, hence my concern; no-one ever thinks they will have to cancel, but it happens...

Regards, Mary

Morning Guys, Thought I'd let you know that I spoke with Cunard this morning and they will give the rate of exchange for the date you booked. For example, if you booked today you could purchase on board credit at £1 = $1.40. As I booked about 4 weeks ago, the rate would probably have been even worse. The agent confirmed that if you cancelled your cruise, you would get refunded the credit or transfer to another cruise.

Seems to be a bit of conflicting info from Cunard here. Not sure whether to email my query and see if I get a different response.

Would be interested if anybody else has called today and to hear their responses.

Fingers crossed that I can find a way to purchase at a better rate! Sue

Yes thank you once again irisheyes, I too got a $1.89 rate today by calling Cunard UK & got my OBC for my May 2 crossing - great rate! I did ask what happens if you cancel your cruise & was advised they refund the money to your credit / debit card. If you don't use all the credit I was advised this cannot be transferred to another trip & needs to be used up. Apparently the rate can change but I enquired for my October QV cruise & was advised I could also get this rate for that cruise too. Incidentally both my cruise & Crossing were booked in 2008 - the QV one back in April 2008.

Kind Regards,

Richard

Thanks from me too, Irisheyes. :) I have just got off the phone from Cunard. I too have received the 1.89 rate, despite only booking in Jan this year. Brilliant! The girl told me this was the rate before I gave her my booking ref. Luckily it didn't change

Sarah

Q-step

I have in the last few days purchased onboard credit from Cunard in the Uk at the very favourable exchange rate of $1.89 to £1 sterling. Although this is for "onboard" credit, my card will be charged immediately. I picked this tip up from other Princess/Cunard cruisers from the UK. Converting $171 to £ sterling using this rate gives £90 approx.

Please add my thanks to others for this little tip. Have just rung Cunard, got a rate of £1.89 (100USD = £53), and also confirmation that it would be credited back onto my card should we have to cancel.

Thanks again,

Mary

PS The Cunard rep that I spoke to said he'd spent the morning dealing with people ordering OBC...

Sorry l forgot to say. Cunard did point out to be sure to use the same sea pass card that the onboard credit has been registered with. He said you could transfer some of the credit to your family once on board. But that if other accounts are used you cannot then transfer the credit to pay that account.

Iam not surprised that a lot of people inc. myself are purchasing Advance OBC at such great rates - we already pay far much more than the Americans for our cruises so it's perhaps time we got a good deal on part of our Cunard cruises!

Kind Regards,

Richard

Archived