• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Do you skip the formal nights

garardo

In my job I wear a white jacket 5 nights a week. I do not own a tux and find the rental tux never fits right no matter how I adjust it. The wife is disabled and it takes forever to put her a dress and get the braced leg correct. The $80 or so I spend for it could be better spent on another night in the fancy dinning room. On formal nights we have taken to having a light dinner in the buffet area turned dinning room. We find that in this area the service seems to be preformed by waiters in training for the MDR and the service is quite good. They are bending over backwards to do what ever it takes to please you. Even more then in the MDR but without the polish. I do not totaly enjoy the lobster they serve. I am more into steamed live Maine, Austrailian or South African cold water tails that run $25 a pound. We just like to kick back while on a cruise and find all of the hup la for the formal nights to much. I would like to hear comments from OP.

garardo

In my job I wear a white jacket 5 nights a week. I do not own a tux and find the rental tux never fits right no matter how I adjust it. The wife is disabled and it takes forever to put her a dress and get the braced leg correct. The $80 or so I spend for it could be better spent on another night in the fancy dinning room. On formal nights we have taken to having a light dinner in the buffet area turned dinning room. We find that in this area the service seems to be preformed by waiters in training for the MDR and the service is quite good. They are bending over backwards to do what ever it takes to please you. Even more then in the MDR but without the polish. I do not totaly enjoy the lobster they serve. I am more into steamed live Maine, Austrailian or South African cold water tails that run $25 a pound. We just like to kick back while on a cruise and find all of the hup la for the formal nights to much. I would like to hear comments from OP.

garardo

That is your choice and I personally don't have any problem with it. I would however say that it appears that Celebrity is not going to put the casual dining on the Solstice Class ships since the reports back say the Solstice doesn't have it. I don't see a problem with just throwing on a suit, under the new dress code that is all they ask for, doesn't even have to be a dark suit anymore.

I love formal nights but I realize they aren't for everyone. And yes, Solstice does not have the Casual Dining. They expanded their buffet selections (still very small for dinner) to include pizza and pasta.

In answer to your question, we have not as yet skipped the formal nights, although we are tempted. I guess it all boils down to the luggage allowance! We have done the casual dining only once in all of our Celebrity cruises and the menu/waiter was disappointing. However, we have done the Asian and Italian, both of which were really a treat after many nights in the main dining room.

Hope this helps. Do what's best for you. It's your vacation!!!!!

I've moved to dark suit because it gives me more options then Tux. As for wife, my wife takes a dressy-classy top and goes with a nice pants outfit at times. Still very dressy, and it sounds as if it would meet your needs better. Women seem to be able to snaz up outfits with more options. Don't have to go with a formal gown.

We've concentrated on the OP, so let some women chime in on more flexible options for his wife.

I think you'd enjoy the Formal Nites.

Denny

Well, what if you book Murano's on a formal night? Are you still expected to wear a suit? I'm sooo not used to the idea of a formal night but it might be a cool experience. Oh I guess I should also ask, if it's even a good idea to book Murano's on the formal night? Anyone wanna help me with pros/cons?

Pro: Easier to get reservation, less people while there, don't have to wear a suit???

Cons: Food in MDR will be best on this night???

Someone correct me if I am wrong ---

but I believe formal night is formal night even in the specialty restaurants. So suit or tux is requested there too. I believe the only place not "formal" on formal night is the buffet and even there have read that most people dress nicer than normal.

Oh, and to answer your original question: We never skip formal nights. DH in tux and me in dressy cocktail dress etc. We enjoy it.

Well, what if you book Murano's on a formal night? Are you still expected to wear a suit? I'm sooo not used to the idea of a formal night but it might be a cool experience. Oh I guess I should also ask, if it's even a good idea to book Murano's on the formal night? Anyone wanna help me with pros/cons?

Pro: Easier to get reservation, less people while there, don't have to wear a suit???

Cons: Food in MDR will be best on this night???

From Celebrity's web site:

What is the dress code for the specialty restaurants?

Subject: Dress Code

The dress code in Celebrity's specialty restaurants is the same as the evening dress code in the main restaurant. Please refer to the dress schedule within the "Onboard Experience" section of this website to determine the appropriate attire for each cruise length.

http://www.celebritycruises.com/beforeyourcruise/faq/home.do;jsessionid=0000rCvqA2skmdGhRoa_jz0HQbG:12hdbcuh7?faqSubjectName=Dress+Code&faqId=2728&pagename=faq_answers

I may be all wet here, but I don't think the OP was asking anyone if they thought he should go...or how to do it.

That being said, I am with you OP. Formal night is not something that we look forward to. We usually do it once on a 7 night, but not twice. And I agree about the lobster, not very good (this is after several tries).

We are doing b2b next week and still debating whether or not to bring the suits, shoes, belts, ties, dress shirts, tie clasp and then there is all my stuff.

try the hints for dressing up--just need a fancy top or glittery shawl for your wife & dark suit for you-- you'll love how you look & probably enjoy the evening quite a bit.. Maybe even get a beautiful photo portrait--the photogs will take special care to make sure you get someting you like!

I'm sorry, I didn't actually give my thoughts on skipping the formal. Hey, it's your cruise. If it's an inconvenience to you and your wife, then I'd skip it. I'm actually also thinking of just skipping it and having room service that night. It all depends on the mood of the ship once I'm on board.

And thank you for the replies concerning my question of a suit in specialties on formal night.

We dress up as well, its just one of those things that we love to do, and love about Celebrity. We have never had dinner in the casual dining area, but we are certainly not opposed to it. Maybe on our next cruise we'll give it a try?!

Simple answer: No, we do not skip formal nghts.

We never dress up at work or home for dinner or any other occasions so dont mind doing it while cruising. We really enjoy the ambience of the MDR on formal nights. Something special about everyone dressed up, reminds me of the "old days" of cruising.

Totally over the whole main dining room experience... between the time it takes to eat (sometimes 2 hours plus) having to be there at a set time, getting dressed up, and then after all that, I have yet to be blown away by any main dining room experience on any ship, it's just not worth it for us. I think it's a great option and I know many love it, but we just skip it and hit the buffet or room service or whatever really. I just completed my first Celebrity cruise (on Century) and while I loved it, I did miss the extended evening buffet we've become accustomed to on other lines. That being said, we certainly didn't go hungry!!

The best thing about cruising is that it really does offer something for everyone. When we were on Century, I convinced my husband to try one more time on formal night. And afterward we both agreed we hadn't been missing out. You're the only one who can say if it's "worth it" or not... I say go with your instincts... and enjoy!!!

Well, I wear jeans and boots to work every day, so I enjoy the formal nights. I most enjoy the company of my table mates, the ambiance in the dining room, the great service--if the food is not that great, it's not a big deal to me. There's plenty of it, and it's the total experience I go for, not just the food. In fact, if we had a table for two, I would skip it--but we would never have that. We eat alone together almost every night of the year, and really enjoy meeting new people and sharing experiences.

So not only do we not skip formal nights, we never skip dinner in the MDR!

Cathy

I observe formal night on Celebrity because it is required for the main dining room and specialty restaurants. The way I dress for formal night on Celebrity though is a lot different than the way I dress for a formal wedding or fund raising event.

On our Baltic cruise 6/08 we were invited to the captains table on formal night and I was glad that I had rented a tux. Renting a tux has helped me to lighten the luggage load. My DW makes a fuss over me when I appear in a tux. You all know that when DW is happy everyone is happy. Good cruising to all.:D

Don

I like to dress up and enjoy formal nights. For our last cruise DH bought a tux for the 2 formal nights. He looked so handsome and had a special twinkle in his eye. Before that he wore a black suit.

Our upcoming cruise will be our first 14 day with 3 formal nights and I suspect that one will be skipped. :o I love that we will have choices and I will stick to M class because of the casual alternate dining. I have always enjoyed the change of pace and the service is always great. 14 nights in the MDR with the 2 hour dinners will be way too much for us:eek:

We also order dinner in our cabin at least one night on a cruise, so between that and the specialty restaurant, and alternate dining, there are the perfect amount of choices.:)

I also hate formal nights and don't dress up. On the Solstice, we ate in the buffet one night and in Bistro on 5 the second. Had I known how good the Bistro was, I would have eaten there both night.

I have no problem eating in the buffet on formal nights. When I first started cruising, we did the dress up thing, but now I just don't want to be bothered.

On a week long cruise we usually skip one of the formal nights. I usually take a nice black suit and wear a tux shirt and cummerbund with it. Hard pressed to tell it isn't a tux.

This last time we ate at both formal nights because we wanted to experience Solstice and Blu all nights. But on the Millie before that we ate 1 formal night then decided to stay in the cabin for the next. Ordered 2 lobsters and had a great dinner in the cabin. Unfortunately our room stewards had to deliver it so we tipped accordingly for the evening. But, we are about at the point that we might skip them both next time.

But, as someone else said, We are over the MDR experience. Wish they'd have anytime dining or similar. But, I do not want to change Celebrity for us, keep it the way it is because it seems most passengers enjoy the MDR. We will manage and will not go hungry.

enjoy,

Duane

Archived