• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Guarantee Question

I'm wondering why a category that has been sold out for quite some time is now available as a "Guarantee." In checking other categories above this one there seems to be lots of available cabins. Would they sell this as a guarantee and then upgrade the person to a higher category in an attempt to sell empty cabins? Or would they upgrade the people already booked in this category so the cabins would be available as a guarantee. The category is L on Grandeur on 5/7/09. I, of course, have booked the L category. Maybe I'm just over-thinking this!!

I'm wondering why a category that has been sold out for quite some time is now available as a "Guarantee." In checking other categories above this one there seems to be lots of available cabins. Would they sell this as a guarantee and then upgrade the person to a higher category in an attempt to sell empty cabins? Or would they upgrade the people already booked in this category so the cabins would be available as a guarantee. The category is L on Grandeur on 5/7/09. I, of course, have booked the L category. Maybe I'm just over-thinking this!!

I really can't say this with any certainty, but just as a guess. Perhaps they "overbook" a lower category expecting X amount of people to either cancel or not show up so they don't have empty cabins.

If for some reason those cabins do fill up, they just upgrade who they overbooked.

But like I said, I really don't know.

In cases like this they use the guarantee to fill the ship. Frequently people will buy the "cheap" room but won't buy the slightly more expensive room. Once they've sold enough rooms (either specific rooms or the guarantee) the guarantee category will disappear.

People who book this guarantee might get lucky and get upgraded but RCCL is just as likely to upgrade somebody already booked into that category. I know that last year somebody booked an oceanview guarantee on Granduer thinking they would get upgraded because all the cabins in that category were booked, then came here complaining because they didn't get upgraded and ended up with exactly the category they booked.

Thanks for responding!

So you think that if I booked the category originally and now they've changed it to guarantee and there were no cabins available when it was changed, there is a chance I'll be upgraded?

In cases like this they use the guarantee to fill the ship. Frequently people will buy the "cheap" room but won't buy the slightly more expensive room. Once they've sold enough rooms (either specific rooms or the guarantee) the guarantee category will disappear.

People who book this guarantee might get lucky and get upgraded but RCCL is just as likely to upgrade somebody already booked into that category. I know that last year somebody booked an oceanview guarantee on Granduer thinking they would get upgraded because all the cabins in that category were booked, then came here complaining because they didn't get upgraded and ended up with exactly the category they booked.

Thanks! I didn't see your response when I replied above. I am happy with what I booked but would be very happy with an upgrade. I'll just keep my fingers crossed!!

GrannyMouse: I'm no expert but it seems upgrades are more likely on the older ships like Grandeur. I was on the 2/21 sailing and several couples I spoke with had been upgraded (mostly from interior to OV). Whatever the accommodations, I absolutely loved the Grandeur and its crew (we had Dan Whitney as CD; that appears to have changed at least temporarily), so I'm sure you'll enjoy it.

Archived