• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Internet question, using a Mac laptop

Info the RCCI site says you need a Windows operating system to use their wi-fi. Does this really mean that I can't get internet access on my Mac laptop?

Anyone else brought their Mac on board and been able to use it?

Info the RCCI site says you need a Windows operating system to use their wi-fi. Does this really mean that I can't get internet access on my Mac laptop?

I used my IBook G4 laptop to access RCI's wi-fi when we cruised on the Jewel westbound TA last September, so you should be able to as well.:) The cost was the same as using the internet stations onboard. I purchased the best package and ended up paying about $.33 a minute.

A Mac will work but RC doesn't provide any technical support so you are on your own if you do have a connectivity problem.

No, it means RCL is too lazy to provide support to the Mac platform, not that you'll need much support.

Still, You might want to have Firefox loaded up on your Mac before you go on the cruise in case you have Safari connection issues.

Has anyone tried connecting to the on board wifi with an iphone or ipod touch? Good to see the mac will work, even if unsupported, as 6 of us are going on the Oasis next june, all of which have macbook pros for school. How does it work on this ship anyway, do you just select the wifi network, and then sign in through the browser?

How does it work on this ship anyway, do you just select the wifi network, and then sign in through the browser?

I believe that you have to sign up for an account first. Your better "value" will be for you to sign up for a package. It will mean a lower price per minute connection fee.

Has anyone tried connecting to the on board wifi with an iphone or ipod touch? Good to see the mac will work, even if unsupported, as 6 of us are going on the Oasis next june, all of which have macbook pros for school. How does it work on this ship anyway, do you just select the wifi network, and then sign in through the browser?

I have read that others have done this. Other posters recommended signing in on a ship's computer first to establish a userid and password, and then accessing via iphone.

I have used it before with Ipod Touch and it worked fine.

Archived