• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Counting C&A Credits

A family of four booking TWO cabins (D1) for 7 nights - sailed - enjoyed - received ONE credit.

A family of four booking ONE suite (Grand) for 7 nights - sailed - enjoyed - received TWO credits.

Costs were within $100 of one another.

This is an area of concern that I have regarding credit accumulation, especially now that D+ now holds greater significance.

There is not credit extended to the "payee". I questioned the C&A rep about this and she indicated "that it's just the way it's done."

If a large, extended family travels together and grandpa picks up the tab for 3-4 cabins, grandpa gets one credit. The rest of the credit goes to the occupants of the cabins, even if it's 85-year old Uncle Pekr from Russia who will never sail again. That to me seems unfair. If grandpa travelled WITHOUT his family 3-4 times, he'd get 3-4 credits. When he tries to recruit additional cruisers (AND PAYS FOR THEM!), he is not rewarded.

There just doesn't seem to be a fairness about it.

A family of four booking TWO cabins (D1) for 7 nights - sailed - enjoyed - received ONE credit.

A family of four booking ONE suite (Grand) for 7 nights - sailed - enjoyed - received TWO credits.

Costs were within $100 of one another.

This is an area of concern that I have regarding credit accumulation, especially now that D+ now holds greater significance.

There is not credit extended to the "payee". I questioned the C&A rep about this and she indicated "that it's just the way it's done."

If a large, extended family travels together and grandpa picks up the tab for 3-4 cabins, grandpa gets one credit. The rest of the credit goes to the occupants of the cabins, even if it's 85-year old Uncle Pekr from Russia who will never sail again. That to me seems unfair. If grandpa travelled WITHOUT his family 3-4 times, he'd get 3-4 credits. When he tries to recruit additional cruisers (AND PAYS FOR THEM!), he is not rewarded.

There just doesn't seem to be a fairness about it.

It has always been that you only get the credit/credits for the cabin you actually physically sail in with your name.

It does not matter who pays for them. The people in the cabins, get the credits.

The credit accum. is fairly clear. If they allowed credits to be accumlated based upon whom paid, then there would be alot of TA with a lot of credits. Sound to me like the only way they could really track it is to do as they do now.

Actually, "whoever sleeps in it" isn't quite accurate either. I said to C&A rep that my daughter & I occupied one cabin, and my husband & son occupied the other - in other words, 2 credits. That didn't fly either!

My Guess is: Family books a Grand Suite for parents and inside cabin for kids. To comply with RCCL rules for cabins for kids, they book Father and Son#1 in GS, Mother and Son#2 in Inside; with clear intention that Father & Mother would sleep in GS with boys sleeping in IS cabin. In this case Father and son#1 would get 2 credits, Mother and Son #2 would get 1 credit.

My Guess is: Family books a Grand Suite for parents and inside cabin for kids. To comply with RCCL rules for cabins for kids, they book Father and Son#1 in GS, Mother and Son#2 in Inside; with clear intention that Father & Mother would sleep in GS with boys sleeping in IS cabin. In this case Father and son#1 would get 2 credits, Mother and Son #2 would get 1 credit.

Except it really wouldn't matter since family members living at the same address have the same level of C&A.

My first three cruises were company sales convention trips. I got the cruise credits and didn't pay for the cabins. Now, I'm surprising DH in September by booking cabins for his kids on our Jewel cruise. I'm paying for them and I don't get credit. Win some - lose some.

Y'all made me wonder, though, if family cruise credits have ever been fought over in a divorce. That would make an interesting thread. :)

We did book mom/daughter in one cabin, and son/dad in another cabin;) for two cabins, but we only got one credit because we were all in the same family. I'm saying that we should have gotten two credits, but apparently it's not done that way.

We did book mom/daughter in one cabin, and son/dad in another cabin;) for two cabins, but we only got one credit because we were all in the same family. I'm saying that we should have gotten two credits, but apparently it's not done that way.

:confused: Why should you´ve gotten two credits:confused:

You got only one credit, because you are all the same family? Huh? Getting credits have nothing to to with your relationship. You´ve all traveled in a regular cabin and not over 12 nights, that´s why you got one credit. Would you have travelled in a JS or above and/or for 12+ nights you would have gotten additional credit(s). It has nothing to do with family.

Actually, "whoever sleeps in it" isn't quite accurate either. I said to C&A rep that my daughter & I occupied one cabin, and my husband & son occupied the other - in other words, 2 credits. That didn't fly either!

Nope, in other words four credits,

1 for you + 1 for DH + 1 for DS + 1 DD = 4 credits.

Or did anyone of you manage to split bodies and sleep in two cabins simultanously?

We bought and paid for two cabins - it would just be nice to get two credits - one for my cabin + one for DH's cabin = 2 sail credits for our family total instead of one.

As I said above you even got 4 credits for your family.

Or do I understand you that you rather have had 2 credits for your husband and 2 credits for yourself, but none for your kids, as they didn´t pay for the cruise? Did you get the airmiles for the flights to the cruise from your kids credited to your account as well?

Then if the money for the cruise (both cabins) came out of hubbys saving account (this is just theory and I don´t care what your personal financial situation is), then I guess only hubby should get all the credits, while the kids and yourself won´t get any. - Right?

But of course you and the kids will all "ride" on hubbys gained credits and status because you are all family and should have the statis of the highest level family member. Right?

ETA: Family Total ??? I see it as a big problem with the whole C&A program that they give matching status to family members registered under the same address, but there´s no such thing as a family total. Cruise Credits are earned individually and not as a group / family. Would it be nice to have it that way? For some maybe, for others for sure not.

Are you really trying to understand what I'm saying or just want to be Royal pain in the a** - either way, never mind.

Yes I tried to understand what you are saying, but it doesn´t come through to me, why you are thinking your count method would be fair and the one they are using now is not fair. The only argument I see is "it would be nice if". Well :rolleyes:

ETA: ...or what marci22 said.

Are you really trying to understand what I'm saying or just want to be Royal pain in the a** - either way, never mind.

I think where you are confused is in thinking that C&A credits are given for paying for a cruise. They are "cruise credits" ... credits for TAKING a cruise.

It has absolutely nothing to do with who pays ... it is who sails.

And it may be unfair, but that is just the way it is. If you feel very strongly about it you may want to write to RCI and propose a change.

Mad - sorry for the frustration - my post looks nasty - it was intended to be a wise crack - (that's one of the probs with posting - there is no intonation or voice to go with the words!)

Anyway, back to my OP, all I am saying is the family unit that cruised one time in a grand suite got two sail credits. That is the policy - I understand (we've done it before ourselves).

I am suggesting (although I know it would never happen) that our family's purchase of two D1 cabins should be equated with the other family's purchase of one grand suite (as the costs was similar) and we should also be rewarded with two sail credits.

As I said, it won't happen, but "it would be nice if".....and don't get me started on credits for 3-nighters in a grand suite for people who are fortunate enough to live/drive to ports - I WANT A CRUISE TO LEAVE FROM TORONTO! :eek:

Archived