• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Catamaran in Tortola

swom

OK, here's my problem. Computer crashed a while back with all my cruise reservations saved in it and now I don't remember the name of the Catamaran tour I reserved with in Tortola.

They go to the Baths on Fridays and their dock is right next to where the ships dock.

Can someone PLEASE help me out here with a name???

Thanks in advance.

Ahoy there Pyrate! LOL...

I'm confirmed on the White Squall next month and cannot wait!

Have you sailed w/them before?

I hear there's some story about a HUGE 30 lb. grouper with a name that hangs out near Norman Island's "The Caves". Do you know the story about him, his name, history, etc? I'm a big "scrapbooker" and if I can get a Kodak moment w/him, I'd love to know what he's all about!

VERY excited for my day on the White Squall!

Happy sails.....:D

I have not sailed on White Squall (my wife does not like the heeling of a monohull) but they have an excellent reputation. As for the fish, I've seen a large barracuda at the caves that likes to settle in under the shade of a boat but not the grouper. The fearsome look of the barracuda can be a bit unsettling with all those big teeth but I've had them within a foot of my face mask and never a problem.

If you're looking for smaller creatures, I've encountered some very colorful shrimp inside the caves but they can be elusive.

FYI, White Squall is not a catamaran, it is a monohull, a schooner to be more exact.

Yep, you're right Pyrate it is a schooner, not a catamaran. Also thanks for the info on the fish to look for. I think we will enjoy this excursion. :D

Pyrate13 - I have notices a few of your posts. You seem very familiar with Tortola. I tried to book Patouche and they were full. Any suggestions for a half day tour by boat to the Baths? Looking to approach by water not by taxi. Any help is much appreciated. Will be there two weeks from tomorrow.

• 3 weeks later...
I have not sailed on White Squall (my wife does not like the heeling of a monohull) but they have an excellent reputation. As for the fish, I've seen a large barracuda at the caves that likes to settle in under the shade of a boat but not the grouper. The fearsome look of the barracuda can be a bit unsettling with all those big teeth but I've had them within a foot of my face mask and never a problem.

If you're looking for smaller creatures, I've encountered some very colorful shrimp inside the caves but they can be elusive.

Don't waste your time or money on this tour. Chris, the captain is a total a$$. We spent more time "chugging" along to get from point A to point B and less time at the Baths. Took a good hour to get there at 5 miles an hour, so we didn't have time to enjoy the baths for long. Then we went to Cooper island and the current was so strong Chris had to bring his dingy to rescue about 10 of us. He acted irritated that he had to too. Plus a few of us got stung by invisible jellyfish, which Chris said was coming up from San Juan because of a strange northern wind. If he knew this, why didn't he take us somewhere else to snorkel???

Cussed around children and was drinking a beer as we headed back (and we were late getting back. Had 15 minutes to run to catch the ship).

The only good thing about this tour was the lunch, but it sure wasn't worth 105.00 each.

Save your money, don't bother with White Squall II.

Just my opinion.

Don't waste your time or money on this tour. Chris, the captain is a total a$$. We spent more time "chugging" along to get from point A to point B and less time at the Baths. Took a good hour to get there at 5 miles an hour, so we didn't have time to enjoy the baths for long. Then we went to Cooper island and the current was so strong Chris had to bring his dingy to rescue about 10 of us. He acted irritated that he had to too. Plus a few of us got stung by invisible jellyfish, which Chris said was coming up from San Juan because of a strange northern wind. If he knew this, why didn't he take us somewhere else to snorkel???

Cussed around children and was drinking a beer as we headed back (and we were late getting back. Had 15 minutes to run to catch the ship).

The only good thing about this tour was the lunch, but it sure wasn't worth 105.00 each.

Save your money, don't bother with White Squall II.

Just my opinion.

Wow. Surprised to hear that...they always seem to get such good reviews. Thanks for taking the time to write about it.

Archived