• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Emerald Princess holds a Seder

sunsetme

I can't imagine travelling during Passover. My husband has had to do it for business a few times, and it's a hassle. He gets tired of broiled meat, chicken, or fish for dinner with a baked potato and a salad with lemon juice and olive oil. Breakfast and lunch are even more of a challenge.

They held a nice seder this evening in the Horizon court for about 60 people. A rabbi led the service followed by a Passover meal. Very nice touch.

We've attended seders on other cruise lines (I believe most recently on RCCL). It's a nice touch. Not all that strict--but if you're traveling during Pesach, I assume you'll have taken that sort of thing into account.

(Of course, a lot of the people went directly from the seder to the main dining room and had the lobster entree....)

(Of course, a lot of the people went directly from the seder to the main dining room and had the lobster entree....)

That would be me.......:o:D

Happy Pesach everyone!

I don't expect a Seder on our cruise leaving April 13th since it's not the first two nights, however some matzo ball soup, gefilte fish and charoseth on the menu would be nice!

I can't imagine travelling during Passover. My husband has had to do it for business a few times, and it's a hassle. He gets tired of broiled meat, chicken, or fish for dinner with a baked potato and a salad with lemon juice and olive oil. Breakfast and lunch are even more of a challenge.

Some of us are less observant than others and any kind of seder is probably a good thing. I wouldn't imagine there were too many observant Conservatives there. Best guess is that this was a good Reform gathering.

I agree it would be hard to cruise over Passover-- I don't so much mind eating the plain other foods as I think it would be tourture to pass the cookie/pastry station in the International Cafe without indulging! We may still give it a try in the future depending on itinerary and vacation schedules-- so I am very curious to hear how well Princess (or other lines) prepares charoset and gefilte fish.

When you think about it, taking a cruise is almost the exact opposite of wandering with limited food through the desert ;)

As a practicing Reform Jew, I wouldn't call a Seder on a cruise ship a "good Reform gathering" and find that a bit insulting. Half of the Jews in the US aren't affiliated with a congregation--I think they'd be the ones most likely to travel during Passover. Of course, many congregations have members who are twice a year Jews, just attending a Seder and a High Holy Day service.

Passover is a very powerful and meaningful holiday to me; it was a labor of love to compile my own Haggadah. Although I don't change dishes, I remove chametz and kitnyot from my kitchen, scrub out all cabinets, and read ingredient labels carefully. I made haroses, gefilte fish, brisket, and potato kugel for Seder--wonderful friends brought the rest of the meal.

I agree it would be hard to cruise over Passover-- I don't so much mind eating the plain other foods as I think it would be tourture to pass the cookie/pastry station in the International Cafe without indulging!

I think a lot of people agree, as there have been tons of cruise deals this week! We stayed home and made a sedar instead.

This was a special Passover because Wednesday was a 28th yr of the sun day. Every 28 yrs the sun is in the same position to the earth as it was upon its creation, and it has only coincided with Passover a few times. It is an opportunity to say a special blessing in gratitude to g-d for giving us the sun.

They held a nice seder this evening in the Horizon court for about 60 people. A rabbi led the service followed by a Passover meal. Very nice touch.

That is nice. Thanks for reporting this as often this is a question asked on the Cruising Jewish thread (on Floataway).

There was a rabbi onboard on our Hanukkah cruise on the Island Princess in 2005.

Archived