• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Getting FROM Vancouver to SEA/TAC

CaliforniaAC

Hi All!

We are considering the Pacific Coastal as a short & inexpensive getaway.

We'd leave L.A. on the Island Princess, and it would reposition to Vancouver B.C.

Fares from Vancouver B.C. to LAX are over $200.00 one way.

Fares from Seattle/Tachoma are $80.00 one way.

Is there an easy, inexpensive way to get from Vancouver to Seattle?

Thanks for any advice you have! We have a stateroom on hold that expires in 24hrs. This is the last part of the critical info we need to make our decision.

There is no roll call for that cruise, so I can't ask anyone who's already booked. Princess wants an arm and a leg, so that isn't an option.

Hi All!

We'd leave L.A. on the Island Princess, and it would reposition to Vancouver B.C.

Thanks for any advice you have! We have a stateroom on hold that expires in 24hrs. This is the last part of the critical info we need to make our decision.

There is no roll call for that cruise, so I can't ask anyone who's already booked. Princess wants an arm and a leg, so that isn't an option.

Quick Shuttle or Amtrak (both train and bus). The Amtrak train trip is really spectacular, but it leaves at 6:00PM. gets into Seattle about 10.00. Maybe too late to get a flight out that night.

http://www.quickcoach.com/

You have several choices. You can take the train (Amtrak), the bus (greyhound), or rent a car and drive. There are quite a few threads on this with many more details on the West Coast departures page. It's definitely do-able - we always fly out of Sea-Tac, rather than Victoria or Vancouver, but we usually drive.

Yes, this is do-able. However, I'm a cross border commuter (granted, in MI/ON rather than WA/BC) and there can be bad days when the border backup is hours long.

No way to say for certain what the border wait will be on the day you cross...Fridays and weekends are worse than mid-week, afternoons are worse than early mornings. I'd build 2 - 3 extra hours into your schedule, as disaster insurance. If you do, you'll likely be through in 10 - 15 minutes ;)

Take a look at:

http://www.wsdot.wa.gov/Traffic/border/

On the left hand border of that linked page there are more links to check border wait times, and traffic/construction delays.

P.S. - when I posted this, there was a 3 hour southbound backup at the Peace Arch, no northbound backup....but other times it would be the opposite.

Took Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver last Sept. on a repo cruise. Highly recommend this option. The scenery is beautiful and the ride is really enjoyable. Amtrak will take you through fields of nature you would never see in a different mode of transportation.

Dianne

We're taking the Amtrak from Vancouver to Seattle in early June after our cruise. It's very reasonably priced....for the two of us, less than $100, and a scenic and relaxing trip, too....(we've done the trip on Amtrak before.)

Beats the heck out of a motor coach, lots cheaper than air.

We took Amtrak from Seattle to Vancouver last August. It's a beautiful route, and the train is comfortable. I don't know what the schedule is, but you could go to the Amtrak web site and find out everything you want to know and even book online.

We are on the Coral mid May doing the same thing...but for us Vancouver is home. If there are two or more of you it may prove just as economical to rent a car and drive. But Quick Coach is a great option as is Amtrak.

Hi CA AC,

My DH and I did the same cruise a few years ago on the Dawn Princess. We took the train to Seattle that night. Then spent a few days in the Seattle area before flying home.

When we disembarked at Canada Place, we took the Sky Train to the Amtrak station and dropped off our luggage. The Amtrak station is the second stop on the Sky train from Canada Place. We purchased an all day city wide transportation pass that gave us access to the Sky train, the buses and the water taxis'.

This was prior to 9-11, so they may not allow you drop off your luggage that many hours ahead of your train. They did have lockers so that is another possibility.

From there we hopped back on the sky train to sight see in the city.

Once we boarded the train, we made dinner reservations. It was a glorious adventure watch the sun setting over Puget Sound from the picture window while having dinner. The food isn't as good, but you have to return to the real world at some point. :p

Have fun

Deb

P.S. The Butchard Gardens in Victoria was wonderful when we were there. We did that on our own instead of using the ship's tour for two reasons, it was less expensive and we spent about 4 hours there instead of the two that the ship's tour allowed.

Deb/Wants2cruise, Hi, I'm planning on doing the same as you did ... drop luggage at Amtrak early, then go exploring Vanc. I emailed Amtrak asking if we could ck our luggage in early, and the reply was "There are NO Lockers available at the Vancouver, BC Train Station." How long ago were you there? There were lockers? I know the Amtrak people who answer emails don't necessarily always give the correct answers.

CaliforniaAC, We found the same thing, rt air from San Jose or SFO to YVR for 3 of us was going to run close to $1200 after tax/fees. SJC to SEA-Tac is costing less than $500 r/t (southwest had a special at $69pp ea way) Even after booking hotels to overnight (which also adds to our fun allowing us to see a little of Seattle and Vanc) and figuring taxis, meals, etc, at each end of our cruise, we're still coming out ahead.

Beginning of our trip, we'll catch a cab from Sea-Tac to downtown area to overnight. Our hotel provides free service to Amtrak. It's about a 4 hour ride to Vac, so we'll get there, catch a cab to pier and should be able to board right away. On the way home, we're staying near Sea-Tac since the train comes in late, and we have an early flight the next morning.

Amtrak has 1 train each way, each day, plus buses. Northbound train leaves at 7:40am, arrives Vac 11:35 (ck in 30-60 minutes early), southbound train leaves at 5:45pm, arrives Sea 10:05pm. Amtrak site says to plan up to an hour for checked luggage to be unloaded and ready to claim. Our train from SEA to Vac is running $138 for 3 of us (holiday weekend), but only $90 from Vac to SEA. Everyone says it's a great ride, and one person said it was one of the best excursions of their cruise/trip.

You'll also need to figure in cab fare from SEA-Tac to Amtrak, I hear it's about $35. And Amtrak to pier should be cheap as it's only a couple miles.

Quick Shuttle was going to run us about $150 for the 3 of us, each way. The benefit is it drops/picks up right at the pier. Quick Shuttle and other buses need to stop at the border and unload all passengers AND luggage at the border for customs ... because of our time of travel, I didn't want to have to deal w/ this, esp if weather is cold/wet.

Quick Shuttle also makes approx 12 stops between SEA-Tac and the pier (according to their schedule), Amtrak train only makes 3 stops in between.

If you decide on the train, book early! There's only a 10% cancellation fee if you change your mind. Yesterday morning I was able to reserve one way, but not the other ... luckily, when I tried again later 3 seats had become available (that was booking 44 days in advance, and not during peak season).

~Denise

Allegiant Air fly from Bellingham (40km south of Vancouver) to both LAX and SAN .. Allegiantair.com

Archived