• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Dinning arrangements

paperman34

It's the luck of the draw on that one.

Are you on fixed dining, or open seating? If you are on fixed dining, have your TA request a table for 6. That way there should be at least someone who is congenial. If you are on open seating, you may take your chances every night. Or, if you meet up with folks you would like to dine with, come to an agreement about time, and plan to meet up.

Over the years, and lots of nights on cruises, I have found that most people can be interesting companions for dinner. On the couple of occasions I was not pleased I was able to get my table changed. I was very happy with the results each time.

It is the luck of the draw, but over the many cruises we have taken, we find the majority of the time the folks are very pleasant and in some cases have become friends we correspond with since. We always sit at table for 6 or 8 just so we can indeed meet others - and we have fixed seating. I believe that if you were located at a table with a boor, you could asked to be moved permanently and I suspect they would do so.

harry

We, too, have been very happy with our tablemates. Everybody has a story and it's fun getting to know people, if you give them a chance. HOWEVER, I have heard stories from friends and fellow passengers about everything from borish conversation hoggers to constant sneezers all over everybody's food. I've also met some people on a cruise that I thought if I had to have dinner with them every night I would prefer room service! But I really think that most people are good table companions, given a chance. We've had first meals and thought "oh, boy, this is going to be a long week" but by the end of the week we've had such a good time that we are sorry to have that last dinner with our tablemates. So just be careful of snap judgments.

Mary

If you're willing to listen some, then all of your tablemates will LOVE you! Folks LOVE to be listened to...and once you've demonstrated that you think THEY'RE interesting, you can start talking...they'll listen back!

Tablemates are great---we love them and it really makes a cruise special!

AYWD is wonderful. Those who like flexible dining are more likely to meet other passengers like themselves and those who elect fixed dining are more likely to meet others like themselves. Everyone should be very pleased that HAL offers the option.

Archived