• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

daughter lives tomorrrow in destiny Western advice Jamaica Urgent pl

tc1959

Hello Guys : My 21 year old daugther is leaving tomorrow in the Destiny with her boyfriend, 5 day Western Caribbean , I am terrified about Jamaica since i hated, their celebrating boyfriend b -day lol, and they want to do the Dunn river Falls any advise which company to trust and aldo they are young and they dont have $200.00 to spend , any advise in what is a safe and not to expensive way to go to the falls, also I am very worry about the tubbing if is dangerosus, she is my princess and I am very protective, any advise will be apprreciated, I just HATE OCHO RIOS, also any advise in Grand Cayman will be great , they want to have a beach day in Jamaica.

'Also any info in the cruise will be great . Also how can they call home form jamaica not very expensive???

I know i ask too many questiosn and I was unable to log in untill today, problems with the password.

Thanks guys!!!

Terry

There is nothing to fear at Ocho Rios. I've been to Jamaica a couple dozen times.

Have them grab a cab with a RED JUTA plate, negotiate a price to the falls... should be about six bucks.

Once there they can find a guide who will take them for about ten bucks and will expect a tip at the end of the tour.

Alternately, they can just walk off the ship, down the pier to Jimmy Buffett's Margaritaville and hang out on the beach! No one will bother them there!!!

There's a Margaritaville in Grand Cayman as well but if they can afford it they should really do the Stingray City excursion. It's BRILLIANT!!! Those tours are about $35 if you buy them through the tour company and not the ship.

Google 'stingray city grand cayman' and you'll see a bunch of tour operators!!

Don't worry!! They'll have a GREAT time!!

:)

Oops... I forgot the call from Jamaica thing. In the terminal, after the debark in Jamaica, there will be pay phones that they can use. That, or if they have a cell phone have them put international roaming on the account for one month. Typically, a call from Jamaica to the US via cell phone is about $1.49/min.

our trip to Jamaica was a blast. We also did an excursion (zipline) and felt that the guides were great and the equipment and location we perfectly safe. There is something to be said for traveling safely...I wouldn't recommend venturing to far off the "beaten path" or doing it by one's self, but they should be just fine.

Grand Cayman was fun too. There is a lot of shopping to do and we took an excursion as well. We went on a city tour and to the turtle farm

I second Host Mach's advice on Jamaica. We had a group of seven boys ages 20-33 (you know how irresponsible they can be) with us last year. They did Dunn's River just as described, thanks to advice we found here. They had a great time, and were even on Carnival's video even though they didn't do the excrusion through Carnival. Prices Host Mach gave were right on.

Same thing about Grand Cayman, prices for tours and Stingray City.

It's OK to be concerned, just don't let it consume you. The way I see it, if you trust your daughter and BF to go on a cruise, they must be responsible people. Please post again and let us know what happened.

Hello Guys : My 21 year old daugther is leaving tomorrow in the Destiny with her boyfriend, 5 day Western Caribbean , I am terrified about Jamaica since i hated, their celebrating boyfriend b -day lol, and they want to do the Dunn river Falls any advise which company to trust and aldo they are young and they dont have $200.00 to spend , any advise in what is a safe and not to expensive way to go to the falls, also I am very worry about the tubbing if is dangerosus, she is my princess and I am very protective, any advise will be apprreciated, I just HATE OCHO RIOS, also any advise in Grand Cayman will be great , they want to have a beach day in Jamaica.

'Also any info in the cruise will be great . Also how can they call home form jamaica not very expensive???

I know i ask too many questiosn and I was unable to log in untill today, problems with the password.

Thanks guys!!!

Terry

These are the times when being a parent sucks...;)

try to breathe...relax and just remember that people travel to Jamaica every day and have a wonderful time. Your DD and her BF will be fine too.

We just did Dunn's River in December and LOVED it! Very cool experience! -And my 5yr old daughter did it with us, no problem---so please don't worry about your daughter and her boyfriend. They will be fine! I'm so proud of my daughter for doing it--she was the only kid we saw there! AND SHE LOVED IT! We also did the river tubing, which was not scary or dangerous at all (it was pretty relaxing but still fun).

Pics are attached.

355-R1-02-23A_003.jpg.22e7e3a2d655231089c9af9f4d97d78d.jpg

354-R1-19-5A_020.jpg.0453cb9d03eab46073711059777d7f9d.jpg

Thanks guys!!!

Terry

Follow Mach's advice first of all...

second of all....don't worry so much even though as a fellow parent, I know it is hard...I have sailed to Ocho Rios twice and just sailed there on the Destiny 1-3-09 with my two kids, 8 & 9, and Grandma. We got off the ship and WALKED to the center of town to Island Village and shopped and then went to Margaritaville and went to their beach for the day. It cost us around $15 to get us all wrist bands, that was $15 total, not pp. We just had to buy two drinks was all and we all got in. They have a private beach and the locals are not allowed on the beach. The restaurant also has a pool and hottub you can use too. My point is, tell yourr, when people do approach to just say 'no thank you' and keep walking...that is what we did and we were just fine. I would never take my kids anywhere I felt threatened. When we were done at Margaritaville we walked back to the ship (ten minute walk). My mom (grandma) went off on her own and met up with us later. Everything was great and we had a good time and now I think it may be one of my favorite ports!!!

I have a 21 year old girl also she is a medical student very mature.

please don't worry she will be fine just relax.

my daughter and her B/f is going to sail with us to jamaica but sometimes she needs

to travel alone but is ok that is life.I pray for her all times.

Thanks guys!!!

Terry

Terry - jamaica is not a terrifying place. It is beautuiful, laid back and fun. Your princess will have an experience there that she will remember for the rest of her life, in a good way. The Dunns River Falls is incredible. I agree about taking the cab and just asking a guide to take them once they get to the falls. The uniformed officers at the cruise terminal will arrange a cab if they are unsure of which to ask for. If they ask the driver of the cab to, he will either wait or come back to pick them up. The tour takes about 45 minutes to an hour and is worth whatever they pay. I would never tell you not to worry, as that is what parents who can't wrap their children in cotton and put them under the bed do. I will say that she should not only be safe on the cruise, but that she will come back to you with a ton of great stories. I also agree about the Stingray City Tour being a must. I have done it many times and love it every time.

We just did Dunn's River in December and LOVED it! Very cool experience! -And my 5yr old daughter did it with us, no problem---so please don't worry about your daughter and her boyfriend. They will be fine! I'm so proud of my daughter for doing it--she was the only kid we saw there! AND SHE LOVED IT! We also did the river tubing, which was not scary or dangerous at all (it was pretty relaxing but still fun).

Pics are attached.

My daughter and I did Dunns River Falls back in July of 2007 (she was 16 at the time), and when you finish, you know that you have accomplished something!! It was awesome!

Archived