• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Where am I? AFT?

excited balcony

I am not sure I am understanding the aft location properly.

We are booked in a AFT BB cabin on Deck 10 - stateroom #10174.

From everything I read, it seems the AFT cabins are at the rear end of the ship - not on either side. Is that right? When I look at my stateroom location on NCL's web site, it seems like it is on one of the sides of the ship. I don't really know which is the port or starboard either, but wasn't too worried about that. After reading all the comments about AFT balcony cabins, I pulled out my paperwork and realized I have an AFT room. I really thought I was on one of the sides of the ship.

Sorry to sound so simple on this, but I am really confused. Any information you may have about my particular location would be greatly appreciated!!

From everything I read, it seems the AFT cabins are at the rear end of the ship - not on either side. Is that right? When I look at my stateroom location on NCL's web site, it seems like it is on one of the sides of the ship. I don't really know which is the port or starboard either, but wasn't too worried about that. After reading all the comments about AFT balcony cabins, I pulled out my paperwork and realized I have an AFT room. I really thought I was on one of the sides of the ship.

Sorry to sound so simple on this, but I am really confused. Any information you may have about my particular location would be greatly appreciated!!

Port is left side. Starboard is right side. I remember this way: port & left both have 4 letters! My simple mind needs simple ways to remember things! LOL.

So if you are port side, aft, you cabin will be towards the rear of the ship on the left side. Someone correct me if I'm wrong!

• Administrators

You are on the starboard side of the ship (right side facing the front of the ship, or bow). Your general section of the vessel is "aft," meaning rear, versus midships (middle of the ship) or fore (front of the ship). Frequently here on CC we talk about "aft cabins" and what is meant is cabins which are located on the very back of the ship, with windows/balconies facing the ship's wake. More properly, that's the "stern" of the ship (the very back), but a kind of shorthand is "aft cabin."

You don't have an "aft cabin" -- because that means "aft-facing cabin -- looking back at where we came from!" :) Hope that helps, and that you have a great cruise!

• 2 weeks later...

I'm not sure if you've already been on your cruise, but we just came back and had cabin 10176. This was a very noisy cabin because of early morning (6am) dragging of chairs in the Aloha buffet above it and also because it's right next to a utility room that has a pool cleaning machine in it that sounds like a giant vacuum cleaner most of the day and night.

10174 is right next to 10176 and is a bit further away from that utility closet, but still pretty close. Not the best choice in my opinion!

We just returned 2 weeks ago from our cruise. We were in cabin 7684 at the rear of the ship facing the wake. Had a great size balcony. I assume it is the AFT cabin. It was wonderful. Very quiet. When you are sailing you hear the sound of the water but it sounds like a distant waterfall. Very soothing and relaxing. There we were able to stand on our balcony the evening we sailed past the lava flow in our PJ's and take in the sights. You see everything on both sides that you pass. That would be the only room that I would get again.

That's the way to go in my opinion.

Good luck and have a great cruise. It was truly wonderful.

Bigun60

Archived