• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

New to Carnival

BMF224

Booked on the Freedom for a 6 nite caribbean cruse in July. Usually cruise RCCL but got such a good deal on Carnival could not pass it up. Question- is there a big difference between RCCL and Carnival? Taking our daughter as a college grad gift and I thought Carnival might be better suited to her age group. Is there formal nights? Midnite buffets? Other restaurants besides the main dining room?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Booked on the Freedom for a 6 nite caribbean cruse in July. Usually cruise RCCL but got such a good deal on Carnival could not pass it up. Question- is there a big difference between RCCL and Carnival? Taking our daughter as a college grad gift and I thought Carnival might be better suited to her age group. Is there formal nights? Midnite buffets? Other restaurants besides the main dining room?

Any insight would be appreciated.

Just got off the Freedom 6 day in December.. Great cruise!!!:)

We are taking our 18 y/o son on the Legend in June for a HS graduation 'gift', tho' he has sailed both RCI and CCL before.. He picked Carnival Legend, but mostly for the 'fun' and itinerary..

Freedom has a Supper Club at $30.00 pp and it is well worth the extra $$$.. Fish & Chips, 24/7 Pizza, Aft Grill, as well as Asian a Deli and Mongolian Grill.. :p

Two 'cruise elegant' nites.. See their website for recommended dress code.. It has been 'relaxed'..

Did not see a Midnight Buffet... Chocolate Buffet on the last sea day, I believe.. Seems as though they had a Mexican Buffet one evening on deck, but I may be thinking of our sailing on the Liberty..

You will ALL enjoy Carnival..:D RCI and CCL are VERY similar, tho' we think the food is a little better on CCL..

You'll get all manner of replies to the differences here. My opinion... the two lines are more similar than different. RCCL has a classier decor inside the ship and has the rock wall and ice rink. Carnival has better shows and a more vegas style decor...oh and the whale tail;).

Aside from that, your college age daughter will have a great time...better if she brings a friend or two. We sent our two son's on a cruise for college graduation and they had a magnificent time.

As with any situation, tell her to be smart about her surroundings and she'll be fine.

I think Carnival stopped doing the midnigth buffets.

A 7 day cruise usually has two formal nights.

Restaraunts...main dining rooms, Buffet, 24 hr pizza, and a specialty restaraunt.

No Midnight Buffet, but they do have what are called Midnight Bites that are located where the Sushi bar is when it is open. Small variety of items to choose from, but plenty. 24 hour pizza available--and it is very good pizza.

One night they have a deck party with a Mexican Buffet that people seem to really enjoy.

There are so many entertainment options that I could not experience all of them during my March 8th 6 day cruise! And, all of the entertainment--except for the sole piano player--was very good or excellent.

Archived