• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

denali or mckinley lodge?

catergirl

Denali offers more to do and there are more places to eat across the street. Mckinley is further away from everything(you need to take a looong bus ride to get to town), but the view of the mountain is great when the clouds allow it.

McKinley is very remote - but I think - it is a great lodge - they have a hug indoor seating area for mountain viewing (when it comes out) - the food is great - but yes Denali is a busy place - close to entrance to the park and for park tours - you need to go there for a park bus tour - I did not find it very well run - the dining rooms can be busy and noisy - but the staff is gracious and helpful at both lodges

If you are planning to go into Denali National Park then the only choice is the Denali Lodge. The McKinley Lodge, while nice, is extremely remote. The only activities, other than some short hiking trails and sitting on the porch and relaxing, require you to either bus into Talkeetna (50 miles) or pay extra for an excursion. The only dining options are at the Lodge also. The Denali lodge has dining optioins within a walk, excursion options (independent and Princess) and the shuttle to the Denali visitors center.

Agree with the others that Denali Wilderness Lodge offers more than Mt McKinley Lodge. Not much to do at Mt Mckinley and you are in a remote area with Talkeetna your closest town and there is not much to that. If you would be so lucky to have a clear day then the highlight would be the view of Mt. McKinley up close. While at Denali you can do the Tundra Wilderness Tour which is a must upgrade from the Natural History Tour plus there are independant excursions you can book across the street.

The train ride from Denali to Mt McKinley is outstanding for scenery.

I guess I'm weird. .we had a car so could have done either but chose McKinley Princess and loved it... gorgeous setting, inexpensive food option there as well as higher price.. the tours from there are great and we cuold get into Talkeetna on our own. We stayed at Denali River Cabins in Denali area .. there isn't much near the lodge either really (few souvenir places, ice cream and take out) and we just did the Wilderness tour booked with our independent touring company.

THey have some incredible deals this year on train from Anchorage to McKinley for 2 nights that I would def. take advantage of if we had had the time..

• 1 month later...

We just returned from a cruise tour and spent time at both lodges.

The McKinley Lodge is nicer than the Denali lodge. Hands down nicer. Maybe it was just the building/room to which we were assigned, but our room at the Delanli Lodge looked like a run-down Motel 6. Carpet was stained beyond belief. It was the first of the season and walls were in dire need of paint, lots of large scruff marks. The carpet on the outside stairwell leading to our upper floor room was torn and in need of replacement. The TV was about 12 inches in size.

The McKinley Lodge facilities were newer and much, much nicer. Rooms were larger and better maintained. Yes, it is true that the McKinley Lodge is remote...but we saw it as a plus not a negative....lots of opportunity for hiking or just relaxing in either the indoor or outdoor viewing area to take in the mountain, which cooperated for us by coming out the two days we were in the area.

View of the mountain from McKinley Lodge

http://picasaweb.google.com/tco0085/Alaska#5206532519191459330

WOW! I wish had this view of the mountain from the Lodge when we were there in 2007. But we had great views from the train to Whittier from Denali so all was good.

I agree with the others that while the McKinley Lodge is nicer, there is more to do at Denali. If the mountain had been out while we were at McKinley it would have been spectacular. The rooms at this Lodge were very nice - we were in a new building.

While the rooms at Denali and the resort itself need some sprucing up, we would not hesitate to stay there again. We had a room in the building facing the river and we were lulled to sleep by the sound of the river - it was great.

But I agree with others that Denali needs some fix up. We had a nasty shower curtain (not a big deal in the scheme of things) but I called and within an hour had a new one so they do respond to issues. Cosmetics need to be dealt with though.

You will have a great time at either place so no decision is really wrong.

View of the mountain from McKinley Lodge

http://picasaweb.google.com/tco0085/Alaska#5206532519191459330

Don't base any decision on this picture. We were blessed with great weather the whole cruisetour (May 2008). As you can see we saw the mountain from the park tour bus, the train and the lodge.

If I could only stay at one it would be Denali because of access to the park.

Don't base any decision on this picture. We were blessed with great weather the whole cruisetour (May 2008). As you can see we saw the mountain from the park tour bus, the train and the lodge.

If I could only stay at one it would be Denali because of access to the park.

After reading your post (and mine) again...I agree with the choice of Denali between the two. I did a little re-evaluating...I agree with the above post.

Archived