• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Dubrovnick

katz

Where do Oceania ships dock in this port? Is it close to the city? Will we have to find transportation to the center of the town?

Other than walking the wall (we have done that), what would you suggest we do?

\

Thanks for your help.

katz, it all depends how busy the port is that day. In September on Nautica, we were supposed to anchor right at Old Town, and tender directly there, but two days before arrival, the following was published in the daily Currents newsletter:

"Dubrovnik Call: We have been informed by the local port authority that due to heavy ship traffic in Dubrovnik on September 14th our tendering location will be Gruz harbour and not the Old town. Gruz Harbour is approximately 5-10 minutes by taxi. (Taxis will be limited due to the amount of ships in port)."

Well, we lost the lottery that day. We were the "farthest of the far" at Gruz, only the US naval destroyer was farther away than us that day, the sea was choppy, and it took more than a 15-minute tender ride to get to the Gruz port, and then a 15-minute bus ride (very few taxis, but the bus runs very often and has few stops) from there. It worked out OK, there are many worse things in life, but we probably lost more than 90 minutes of sightseeing time due to our lousy assignment. We were on the last tender back to the ship!!

We first walked the wall, a fantastic do-not-miss experience, then went to the visit the old Synagogue and its small museum, then ate some snack/lunch at a restaurant right on the Old Town harbor, then did a little shopping. We ran out of time to visit the old pharmacy and the church. There always is a next visit, hopefully!

There is also a dock at the very far end of the city where we docked in 2007.

It was about an 5-8 minute ride to the old walls and here were more than enough taxis there when we left the ship. We also visited the Synagogue and museum which were quite interesting. If the have a group they give a rather interesting talk (10minutes) on the history of Dubrovnik as well as the Jewish community there.

Maybe you'll be lucky to dock right in town.:)

Where do Oceania ships dock in this port? Is it close to the city? Will we have to find transportation to the center of the town?

Other than walking the wall (we have done that), what would you suggest we do?

When we were there on the Nautica in 2006, we anchored off the old harbor and tendered in there--right into the center of town...When we were there on the Celebrity Millennium in 2003, Celebrity provided a free shuttle to the ship...

Dubrovnik, as you know from being there before, is not real large and is easily toured on one's own...and does not require a lot of time...Because of this, each time, we have supplemented our visit by using a shore excursion to fill part of the day. Unlike some on these boards, I have no great aversion to shore excursions. If they can provide you with something different than you can do touring on your own or find through a private source, why not? In the case of Dubrovnik, neither of the ones we've done were very expensive. One I would not recommend, the other I'd strongly recommend you consider.

First port visit to Dubrovnik, we opted for an excursion that included a city tour and a visit to the nearby seaside resort town of Cavtat...We did not find the City tour to be that good (likely the guide) and Cavtat was just incredibly boring and not all that scenic--really a waste of time.

So, when we returned on the Nautica, we had just planned to tour on our own...to walk the walls, visit the Synagogue, etc. We figured we would consider hiring a cab to take us up to the view point for those almost aerial photos of the old city (there used to be a cable car to get you there which was destroyed during the war and not rebuilt). All of the shorexes on the website had some combination that included Cavtat and we were just not interested.

When we got to the ship, Oceania had added an additional shorex: The Country Farm/Winery thing...Since we had already seen most of what we were likely to tour again, we figured "Why not?"...We absolutely LOVED the excursion...It started with a short city tour (this time we had an excellent guide) followed by "free time" in the old city--enough time to walk the walls halfway around on the "sea" side...and for a short visit to the Synagogue...Following this, we met at the designated point for the bus ride out to the countryside farm...We stopped at the view point and had a few minutes for some incredible photos...Then on to the farm for, mostly, lunch and entertainment...We had an excellent lunch of cold cuts, cheeses, veggies, bread, etc. and lots and lots of wine...and entertainment--a really good show by local musicians--who played just about everything. The entire group had an outstanding time...everyone we spoke with loved it as well...

If, like us, you've been before and want to do something just a little different, I recommend this tour...

Have fun...

Despite all the hype, we have never found Dubrovnik all that interesting. And as for walking the walls in the heat of the Summer......just not for moi......so much effort ......just to look down to the squares and the sea.....which I can see from anywhere.

We are back there this Summer and again I expect temperatures to be in the 90's....hopefully Jean will allow me to just stay on board and relax (fat chance of that ).

Tough life.............

Brian

We are back there this Summer and again I expect temperatures to be in the 90's....hopefully Jean will allow me to just stay on board and relax (fat chance of that ).

Tough life.............

Brian

We have an expression in the States: "Lincoln freed the slaves." :D

I just checked on how many ships will be in port. There are only two scheduled right now.Brilliance of the Seas, which we were on the first time we went to Dubrovnick and it was docked quite a bit away from town. We had to be bused.

So, should I take this as a good sign that since we will be on a smaller ship, that we might dock right in Dubrovnick?

You certainly have me thinking we should do that excursion!

It seems to stop at 2 farms now. It does surprise me that they can fit a tour of the city, and 2 stops at farms into 5 hours.

Was there a lot of pressure to buy wine/olive oil, etc?

thanks for any info.

Marian

Virtually zero pressure...In fact, we didn't even realize they were selling anything...You pretty much had to seek it out...

I don't know how they'd fit two farms in...but I think all of the farming operations in that area are fairly cooperative.

We have been there twice. Both times our ship docked north of the city in a commercial area beside a newish suspension bridge. It was too far to walk into town, but taxis were available right beside the ship.

The "old town" of Dubrovnik is a very nice walled village a 10 euro taxi ride from the ship. Taxis are plentiful, and you don't have to walk much at all. It has one main street and a number of side streets. There are quite a few cafe/restaurants and shops, you can easily send postcards from there. Sit at a street side cafe and watch other tourists passing by. If you are energetic, climb the walls. Local people speak good English. Local food is clean and edible. The euro is well accepted everywhere. Enjoy!

We were there last year, early October and took O's ship's tour that included some guided time of the town. This was followed by some free time to explore on your own, or sit at one of the outdoor cafés, enjoy a coffee and people watch. Our tour continued to the two farms. It was one of the ship's better tours for thois particular cruise itinerary. Great fun, good food and music. Both places were very jovial, no pressure to buy anything. It was an excellent mix of seeing both the town, the countryside and learning about their culture and current livestyle.

Quite often, we do not take ship's excursions but have no regrets that we chose this one.

Additional Pelješac Peninsula Wine Tour Links:

http://croatian-wines.net/wine-tour.html

Click on the gallery pictures in the link below:

http://www.tours-in-croatia.com/index.php?option=com_croatiatours&task=showoffer&id=1

Thanks so much for posting the link to the pictures. It looks like a definite must do.

Despite all the hype, we have never found Dubrovnik all that interesting. And as for walking the walls in the heat of the Summer......just not for moi......so much effort ......just to look down to the squares and the sea.....which I can see from anywhere.

Tough life.............

Brian

That's exactly what the wife and I plan to do In Dubrovik this summer on our Insignia cruise. Stay on board and be pampered.We where there back in 1984 and took the cablecar up, it was fantastic too bad its not there anymore

Can someone please tell me how to find out how many ships in port at each destination? We are taking the Istanbul to Athens sail in Sept,09

The best free website went broke at the end of last year; we were on the September 5 Istanbul to Athens last year and the site was accurate for that entire cruise. (BTW, lovely itinerary; hope you have some extra days pre-cruise for fantastic Istanbul.)

Two other free websites you now can use are cruisett.com, which has some ships, and cruiseports.com, which has even more. There is a third one which supposedly is all-inclusive and costs $3 or $4 a month, but I cannot recall its name. (Sorry:o)

We first walked the wall, a fantastic do-not-miss experience, then went to the visit the old Synagogue and its small museum, then ate some snack/lunch at a restaurant right on the Old Town harbor, then did a little shopping. We ran out of time to visit the old pharmacy and the church. There always is a next visit, hopefully!

I'm glad to hear the old Synagogue exists. We were in Dubrovnik on a self-drive trip in August 1977 and a visit there was one of the highlights of our trip (as was walking the wall on a VERY hot day). When they opened the synagogue for us we were told that very few members were left and so we had the feeling that the synagogue might disappear in the future. I'm glad to hear that it hasn't.

Speaking of that trip, we'd stayed at a local B&B about an hour out of town the night before we got to Dubrovnik. (I don't know if it's still the case but at that time most people in small towns had one or two bedrooms built on as additions to their homes and they rented them out for about $10/night ... I imagine that price has changed!) We drove into Dubrovnik, parked right by the wall and then my husband realized he'd left his jacked with his wallet and passport inside hanging in the closet ... so back we went.

The people were delighted with a $2 tip ...

Archived