• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Food/Drinks in Mexican Ports - How safe?

RCCL_NVcruiser

I don't drink beverages in which ice is needed, including crushed ice fancy drinks. Generally, I think the most heavily touristed (by foreigners) places are relatively safe when it comes to the ice. Get off the beaten path and risks rise. The problem isn't always the production of the ice, but the storage of it. I try to confine my drinking to things coming from bottles that need to be opened - commercially produced beverages needing no mixing . . . unless I'm pouring the mix from the bottle to a glass where I've poured some Rum, or other alcohol.

I suffer from IBS as well as a reoccurring ulcer and I have never ever had ANY problems in PV. I often drink tap water there as well as ice in my drinks, I consume many fruits, salad and veg, never had one problem at all. PV has one of the best water purifying systems in the world. I think this is true of Cabo and many of the resort towns as well.

Often I think stomach aliments are too much sun, alcohol, not enough water and too many fruits or rich spicy foods that you might not be used to.....

How safe is it to drink mixed or frozen drinks with ice and/or eat onshore? We don't want to get sick with a stomach virus!!!

We will be going to Cabo, Mazatlan, and Puerto Vallarta.

Thanks!

At any given minute, there are tens of thousands of tourist eating the food and drinking the beverages in the resorts and restaurants at these Mexican tourist destinations (my family included).

Use the same common sense that you would use at home. Avoid food from alleyway stands and local beverages sold on the streets from plastic jugs. Stick to the areas where tourists hang out and all will be OK.

The combination that gets most people sick (anywhere in the world) is too much booze, too much sun, too much rich food and too little water. Bottle water is available everywhere and at 1/3rd the cost we pay in the states. There is no excuse for getting dehydrated.

Enjoy!

one thing we do on every cruise is take PROBIOTICS all during the cruise and 1 wk before and 1 wk after....these will keep your intestines in good shape...also i agree..when in Mexico we only drink corona like it is our job..stay away from ice..be smart...we love Mexico

we havent ever had an issue...our upcoming cruises will be our 5th and 6th ones to Mexico and one more if a cruise that stopped in Cozumel counts...I would stay away from ice in places that dont appear on the up and up and really beyond that just be smart about it. Not every restaurant uses the same sanitary practices. Some of the more reliable ones are likely to be just fine.

Rule of thumb, clean rest rooms, clean kitchen. Never eat street food, no matter how scrumptous it looks. The grinding in you intestines should be a warning. We have eaten in all the Mexican ports and have followed these rules and have never had a problem.

just returned from all three ports you listed with no problems. Ate at all three. Had frozen margs, taco, quesadillas and burgers with no stomach or intestinal reactions. The food is awesome, but like above posters mentioned, off the beaten path and street vendors may be different, don't really know. Have fun and enjoy all the ports have to offer including their foods! :)

just returned from all three ports you listed with no problems. Ate at all three. Had frozen margs, taco, quesadillas and burgers with no stomach or intestinal reactions. The food is awesome, but like above posters mentioned, off the beaten path and street vendors may be different, don't really know. Have fun and enjoy all the ports have to offer including their foods! :)

There are some deelish taco stands in PV that are off the beaten track but are enjoyed by both locals and the odd tourist in the know....(me :)

Here is a GREAT taco stand guide and I can personally vouch for the shrimp tacos at Marisma open from 10 AM to 5 PM.

http://www.vallarta-info.com/streetfood.html

Oh and the Tacos Al pastor are incredible at Tankos Panchos on Basilio Badillo next to Cafe De Olla their hours are 6 - 4 AM. YUM :)

I don't think this statement is accurate.

In Puerto Vallarta at least it is.....I am sure someone for Cabo and Mazatlan can chime in.

http://todopuertovallarta.homestead.com/agua.html

http://test.vallartaonline.com/information/infArticles/water/

You can tell if the ice is purifed as it will have an air pocket in it. Perhaps waaay off the beaten track in ...say the middle of Mexico...I would not trust the water or the ice....just as I wouldn't in other parts of the world. But here in PV.....the water and ice are fine :)

I stand by what I wrote earlier.

At any given minute, there are tens of thousands of tourist eating the food and drinking the beverages in the resorts and restaurants at these Mexican tourist destinations (my family included).

And a large number of these folks can be found sitting on a toilet . . . unexpectedly . . . during their vacation.

Most of us will be fine with some discomfort, stomach problems - but people with a supressed imune system or other health problems should be very careful of what they eat and where they eat it. Just because tourists frequent a place doesn't mean risks are not present.

And a large number of these folks can be found sitting on a toilet . . . unexpectedly . . . during their vacation.

Most of us will be fine with some discomfort, stomach problems - but people with a supressed imune system or other health problems should be very careful of what they eat and where they eat it. Just because tourists frequent a place doesn't mean risks are not present.

A lot of times I think it is the differant bacterias found in the water and food that we are not use to. That said, bad food and drin kcan happen anywhere, I got fp in a 5 star hotel in Montreal and spent a few days wrapped around a $500 a night toilet.....I have IBS and re-occuring uclers, I have the stomach and digestive tract from hell.....So far...touch wood...ow that hurt my head:p...I have been fine in PV.

Want to hear something funny???

I have a few Mexican friends who have relocated up here. When their families come to vist they have been warned about how our Canadian waters are bad and cause stomach upset :eek:

Archived