• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Help with Honeymoon! Which Hawaii Cruise to Go On?

SamLH07

So, my fiance and I are planning a Hawaii honeymoon cruise. We won't start planning the wedding until we know the cruise dates (We are wanting to go around April 2011...I know far away!).

My question is this...which Hawaii cruise should we go on? I would really like to go with Princess, but they only offer San Diego RT cruises...meaning we wouldn't be spending a lot of time on the islands. However, all the other cruises that are 12 nights seem to be on ships that are getting negative reviews in one way or another.

I would really like to try and find a nice cruise that's around 12 nights and provides as much time as possible on the islands. We are both in our early twenties, however, my fiance has sailed with HAL and me with Princess. Personally, we would rather be with mature cruisers than partiers (which may be on Carnival).

Does anyone know of any cruises sailing in 2011 that typically don't? For instance, I found out Cunard is doing two sailings.

Any info would be great!!! Thanks!!! :)

If you REALLY want to "get to know the islands", then take a land-based Hawaiian vacation. You simply don't spend enough time at any one island to really explore on a cruise.

If it's the actual "cruising" part you love, then do a 12 nighter in a less expensive area!

On Hawaiian cruises, European cruises, Alaskan cruises, you won't have the "partiers" that you will on a Caribbean cruise----they are entirely different style trips. It really won't matter which cruiseline you choose, since you'll be spending the majority of your time on land. The ship is your hotel....that's about it!

Don't forget to check some of the one way repositioning cruises that start or end in Honolulu. I saw one on RCL (I think) that started in Honolulu, cruised the islands then ended in Vancouver. One starts in Auckland New Zealand and ends in Honolulu. These types of cruises are usually only two times a year.

Keep checking with Norwegian Cruises. In today's local Honolulu Advertiser there was an article that stated that NCL is thinking about sending another ship to Hawaii. They didn't say if it would just sail the islands or would be r/t from the mainland.

Holland America is very good and they come to HNL.

I can recommend RCL, HAL, Princess and Celebrity.

We don't get as many ships in port as we used to so the schedule is sparse.

Actually Princess does the RTs from San Pedro (the port of LA). In fact, I'm waiting to find out the info on the 2010-11 cruises myself. We did this trip on the Island Princess back in December 2005, and we want to go again. I know there's not much time in Hawaii, but would rather go on Princess than the line that sticks around Hawaii. To me, I would rather just do the land vacation instead of NCL. In fact, that's how we honeymooned: flew to Honolulu, then to Kauai. Spent a few days there, and then flew to Honolulu and spent a few days there. I think it was less money and we stayed in ritzy hotels.

Since I'm not a fan of flying, the round trip was more enjoyable for me. Several sea days and we only needed to drive 50 miles to the port. Princess has a lot of activities during those days.

While I have only cruised NCL once on a 1-day, which doesn't really count towards deciding if you like a particular cruise line or not, I chose NCL. It may not be my honeymoon, but it allows me the opportunity to visit 4 of the islands and I plan to stay pre and post cruise on Oahu. Next visit maybe it will be a land vacation on the island(s) I like the best. :rolleyes:

Went on a Carribean cruise on NCl this March having previously been on Princess. We went with low expectations but also a fantastic price point. We really loved NCL!! Crew were exceptional and food, shows, and other aspects were excellent as well. We are now planning for Hawaii and will only consider a 7 days multiple island NCL cruise. We'll spend a few days in Honolulu visiting relatives and then off with the only itenarary that appeals to our needs of being overnight on various islands. Happy wedding and honeymoon!:)

We just sailed NCL around the islands, and although it was a GREAT vacation, I wouldn't personally do it for my honeymoon. In my opinion it was too short, and too jam packed for a honeymoon. I think the rt from the mainland would be better and then go back to Hawaii some day for a couple specific islands or for the 7 day island-hopping cruise. One of the most memorable things about our honeymoon (Riviera Maya, Mexico AI) was how laid back and relaxed it was but that we also got to do a few adventures as well. Personally I don't want to be going nonstop on my honeymoon, and I definitely don't want to feel guilty and like I am missing out on all the amazing things in Hawaii so I can lounge by the pool or in the room.

HTH, Just my 2 cents =]

We also combined an NCL cruise with a resort stay (we chose Turtle Bay on Oahu's north shore, but there are tons of options). We are big princess fans, but found NCL to be comparable in many ways (and superior in some)...

combining the cruise with a resort stay gives you both a honeymoon experience PLUS a stress/hassle- free way to see the four main islands.

Howzit braddah! Having been to the islands over a dozen times it would be a shame to visit them via a cruise. I would agree with the others and say a land based trip is the way to go. To not see Maui or Kauai from more than a "port" town is criminal! The size of these islands demands more than just a few hours and there is so much to see and do on each that you are cheating yourself by not staying on one or more. I've stayed on the 4 major islands and my favorites are Maui and Kauai with the Big Island not to far behind. Oahu is OK but very built up and crowded which is where I live so I'm not looking for that on vacation! Get a condo in Napili Bay on Maui or in Poipu on Kauai and you'll be living ALOHA the right way!

Archived