• Deals
  • Find a Cruise
  • Reviews
  • News
  • Cruise Tips

Cabin with an upper bunk for storage?

Fat Boy

I'm thinking about changing my interior cabin (4B) booking to an exterior cabin (6A) on the November Holiday sailing. Has anyone booked a cabin with an upper bunk so they could use the bunk as a shelf? When it's down, does it make a big different in "walk around" space? Will Carnival even allow you to book a cabin with an upper if you only have two people sailing?

On my last two cruises on fantasy-class ships, the 1 and 2-upper cabins were the last to sell. I've been in one with 2-uppers with only 2 people.

The cabin steward would probably let you have it down if you really wanted it down, but it wouldn't be worth it for storage and I doubt the stewards would like it down and full of stuff 24/7 for vacuuming and cleaning. You'd be ducking your head to get around it or having to crawl across the big bed if you had the floor beds pushed together.

There is a special key to open it and you don't get the key. When someone is sleeping in one, they typically make up that bed and lock it up in the morning, then vacuum and clean and then lower it again at turn down. I'm sure some people ask for them to stay down during the day for kids' naps, etc., but the procedure seems to be for it to be put away during the daytime.

Like others said. I don't think they will like it when they vaccum or when they are making the beds.

BTW if you don't mind me asking, why do you need so much storage?

There are 3 closets, 2 with bars and one with shelves. Plus there are drawers by the desk.

Me? Just one. The wife? Well, last time I had to talk her DOWN to 13 pairs of shoes. And this was for a 5-day!

Just kinda forget one of her suitcase when you leave and...No problem....LOL......

BTW if you don't mind me asking, why do you need so much storage?

There are 3 closets, 2 with bars and one with shelves. Plus there are drawers by the desk.

I don't really think "we" will need it. "We" had all closets, shelves, and drawers filled last time, but "we" did just fine leaving all "MY" stuff in the luggage under the bed.

Of the rooms I see available, the one with the upper is a little closer to the stairs and center of ship. I thought, if I had the upper, I might as well use it for something. It's sounding like that won't really be a viable option.

Fat Boy, if you want a general idea of what the cabins with the uppers look like, go to this thread and look at my attachments: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=962600

Haven't been on the Holiday, but I'm thinking they'd look similar.

I'd prefer not to have a cabin with uppers, but am stuck with one again for a cruise next week (late booking).

Oh sure... That'll give me plenty of free time in the evening to walk the Lido... alone...

Yeah...Women think we hate the dog house....Sleeping on the couch is always the best nights sleep I get. My own remote. Get to dine at Hooters every night and don't get talked to for a week. I am still trying to figure the down side to this......LOL......:D

Yeah...Women think we hate the dog house....Sleeping on the couch is always the best nights sleep I get. My own remote. Get to dine at Hooters every night and don't get talked to for a week. I am still trying to figure the down side to this......LOL......:D

I like to think of it as camping, but with A/C.

When we first shacked up, we bought new furniture. Nobody ever warns a young man that he needs to buy a couch at least as long as he is tall. That first set was about 6 inches two short. I woke up with a sore neck way too often.

Fat Boy, if you want a general idea of what the cabins with the uppers look like, go to this thread and look at my attachments: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=962600

Haven't been on the Holiday, but I'm thinking they'd look similar.

I'd prefer not to have a cabin with uppers, but am stuck with one again for a cruise next week (late booking).

Thanks for the pics. I'm not claustrophobic, but it looks like those uppers take up a lot of space, even when closed. I think I'm just going to avoid them if I can. I'll talk to the PVP tomorrow and see what we can do.

Thanks to all for the advice.

How many suitcases are you taking anyways......LOL.....

That was my question too- there are 3 closets including one with shelves, shelves at the bottom of the other two and on the top,plus under the bed plus drawers. Plus bathroom shelves- 6 of them. If you need more storage I would reconsider what you are bringing unless you will be living there for quite a long time.

will carnival let you book a cabin with an upper without having 3 people. we were booked in a quad with 4 of us. When I attempted to move 1 out of our cabin and into another cabin with an additional person carnival wanted to move us from a quad to a triple. they wouldn't let us stay in the quad.

will carnival let you book a cabin with an upper without having 3 people. we were booked in a quad with 4 of us. When I attempted to move 1 out of our cabin and into another cabin with an additional person carnival wanted to move us from a quad to a triple. they wouldn't let us stay in the quad.

If you book early, probably not. On the fantasy-class ships, often the triples and quads are all that are left open within 1-2 mos. of sailing. They are held back from a 2-person booking.

My cruise next weekend has 2 triple OVs, 1 handicapped, and all the rest (16) are quads.

I would not worry about storage, unless you have four people in a cabin!! I shop and shop and shop and keep on shopping. I can fill four of the five shelves in the closet (full) with items I buy. There is two closets and then a third with shelves. I typically go home with two big suitcases, a carry on, and my beach bag stuffed full of what I bought!!!

I am a super shopper for anything tacky and touristy, thus, I tend to buy a fair bit....

If you need more hanging closet space you can put the suitcases under the bed, but the shelves are quite handy!!!

Thanks to everyone for the info and advice. From the pictures, I gather that the upper can be a real headache maker, even when stowed. I went ahead and changed us from the 4B to the last 6A that didn't have uppers. Wife has never cruise in an OV. For $10/person difference, I figured it was worth it.

Thanks again!

Fat Boy

That was my question too- there are 3 closets including one with shelves, shelves at the bottom of the other two and on the top,plus under the bed plus drawers. Plus bathroom shelves- 6 of them. If you need more storage I would reconsider what you are bringing unless you will be living there for quite a long time.

The Holiday and Fantasy class ships don't have as much storage as the other ships. They have 3 closets, 2 with bars, 1 with shelves, drawers, under the bed, and very little storage in the bathroom.

Archived